Old, Slow and now FAT! :)

Good knee/shin protections for skinny (beanpole) 9 year olds?

I took my son (9 years old) on a couple of supposedly easy rides in Breckenridge. On both rides he crashed and scraped up his legs enough that this was the end of the ride. The silly thing is, most of his crashes are at low speeds. Usually he loses balance and then gets his legs caught up in the bike as the center of gravity overcomes his strength to stay upright. Because he gets his legs caught up it is always the legs that lose the skin.

So I am on the lookout for some soft knee/shin protection that he can wear while on more challenging rides for him. The potential issue is that his legs are like bean poles and they are so skinny so the pads will have to work with that.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 08-19-2015 at 07:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    try small or medium elbow pads like the bliss minimilist range for the knees. my skinny ten year old uses the medium ones

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Good idea on using elbow pads. I really like my LEATT airflex elbow pads which is similar to the Bliss pads. I'm not sure that is the coverage I am looking for but I can give it a try. I may have to look at their junior line as well.

mtbr member
    elbow pads for sure works great on my little dude

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My 10 y/o is pretty skinny. He has been using the EVS SC05 Knee Guards with pretty good luck. The have velcro top and bottom so they stay in place when he rides with shorts. The neopreme makes them pretty comfortable and they have the hard knee cup and a shin guard. He wears the youth size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    We used some knee pads with name "EVS" on them until my son turned 11, and now he is using elbow pads RaceFace Rally FR protection (now 4'8" and 78 lbs).

We are real big on protection (he rides a lot of downhill about 300,000 vertical at 10 y/o and 11 y/o at Angel Fire, NM). He rides hard and has gone down a few times at good speed.

A video link shows gear at 10 y/o: https://youtu.be/sdOrdy3ZoZw

Fox titan XS with Leatt Dbx worn over that, carbon fiber Giro Remedy to keep helmut weight concerns down for neck injuries, fox gloves, full downhill pants with the Underarmor football "underpants" for hip protection.

It's all fun, until they go down hard. He rides at speeds comparable to most adults.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've seen more then a few kids rocking the McDavid pads available from ***** Sporting goods at our local bike park, and they love them. They make them in youth sizes. They're lightweight and look like they offer decent protection, but I don't think they'd withstand heavy abuse.

Personally, I think they look pretty good. They're light enough to pedal all day in, and they're cheap. When my kid gets to the point he's doing some significant downhill, I'll upgrade to something more substantial, but for now they fit the bill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    If you know how to sew a straight line you could try the G-Form Youth Pro-X knee/elbow pads:

PRO-X Knee Pads - Youth | G-Form

They're pricey, but I found them 50% off during a clearance sale.

For my son, we basically sewed a straight line along the length of the sleeve to reduce the size. As he grows, we'll just rip out the stitches to expand it back to original.