Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Glider/Run/Balance bikes

12K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  Mark_123 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,
I am looking to buy my 2 year old one of the new balance bikes. There seem to be a lot out there. I have looked at the Skuut and the Strider. I liked the striders lower seat height and spot for his feet but read a few bad reviews about them being kind of cheap. Some people mentioned the hubs/bearings are made of plastic? I found it hard to believe but have not seen one up close. I was wondering what your experiences have been with certain brands.

#2 ·
i have a strider for my 2-year old. it actually seems pretty well built. i don't know about the hubs/bearings and to me, but it really doesn't matter- i'm sure they won't fall apart that quickly regardless of what they're made of. the seat goes low enough just in case your little one doesn't have as big of an inseam.

the skuut and other wooden ones have had some build/longevity issues- at least that's what i read and what rei told me about returns they get on them. for me it was between the strider and pv glider. i liked the glider how it has a hand brake and pegs for the feet, but my son had to be a little taller to fit on it. also, i found the strider cheaper on the bay.

my son has been on his for a few weeks now- not regularly though. he is still in the phase of walking with straddling it. i'm looking for consitently nice weather where i can really get him used to it.

#3 ·
I got my son a strider @ 2 yrs. He's been rockin' it pretty hard now for 4 mos. Lots of trail use and the thing is holding up just fine. Build quality is actually quite good for what it cost, less than $100 clams. The Skuut and some others are made of plywood which is not a good thing. Water and plywood don't play well together. (think creek crossings!) As was mentioned, the fact that the seat goes as low as it does, much lower than others is an important benefit. I'd say not to worry about the build quality of the Strider, our boy has ridden his about as hard as any 2 yr. old could and it's holding up just fine. Good luck with your purchase, kids love these things!

#7 ·
we brought our son's strider on our co trip and he rode it quite a bit- he really started getting good at coasting with holding his feet up- he was so proud and happy about it- obvisouly because we were happy and cheering him on, too. he is 2 years 4 months old.

he rode it a couple times here and there, but not regularly until the weather got nicer in the chicagoland area. i say it took him about 15-20 rides before starting to coast. now he goes full speed down our steep driveway (i'm at the bottom catching him since he sometimes starts wobbling).

it's a lot of fun!

enjoy!
ez

#8 ·
I have a five-year old like-a-bike. It is made of plywood, and it has been very well-ridden. The bearings are excellent and the bike is strong.

If you plan to really trash the bike, I could see an issue with plywood, but ours is virtually new after years of extensive use.

Like a bike is pricey, but it is not made in china, it is more green than the alternatives, and it is truly beautiful. I plan to store mine for the grandkids.

No more crap!

#10 ·
Harrier said:
I have a five-year old like-a-bike. It is made of plywood, and it has been very well-ridden. The bearings are excellent and the bike is strong.

If you plan to really trash the bike, I could see an issue with plywood, but ours is virtually new after years of extensive use.

Like a bike is pricey, but it is not made in china, it is more green than the alternatives, and it is truly beautiful. I plan to store mine for the grandkids.

No more crap!
We got our son a Like-A-Bike when he was 4. He quickly blasted off on it. Soon he was outriding his older friends that were riding pedal bikes around the neighborhood. It's amazing what a sub 10lb bike can do for speed. He wore out shoes like a pro tennis player though (brakes). (BTW, Keen sandals are the bomb for kids on glide bikes. They protect their feet and the soles have a good balance of traction/longevity and wrap around their toes...Crocks are the worst. Wear out in a day.)

Now that his sister is old enough to ride (2.5yrs) she walked it for a while since her inseam wasn't long enough. Then one day a couple weeks ago, it just clicked and she's actually riding the bike.

I think $300 is pretty steep. But I figure I'll get two kids through it and it is still good enough to sell on CL afterwards. The build quality is great and has held up well. And is so light and compact that we can take anywhere. Many times, we'd go on long walks and my son would ride. Then he'd get distracted or the terrain is too rough and I just carried it. No problems.

#13 ·
Maida7 said:
I never heard of like a bike. It looks just like my POS skuut. I guess the devil is in the details.

Whoa! 300.00! I thought the others were expensive at 100.00.
yeah, it's crazy how some of these bikes are so pricey. i also thought my $80 or so strider was pricey- well worth it for me though.

edit: yesterday we went on a bike ride and he ended up going the last two miles on a path on his own- crazy how i thought he wouldn't be able to make it all the way back, but he did- and was excited about it! couldn't ask for more.

#14 ·
Maida7 said:
I never heard of like a bike. It looks just like my POS skuut. I guess the devil is in the details.

Whoa! 300.00! I thought the others were expensive at 100.00.
Yes, it cost more. And, yes, that is why it doesn't fall apart. If you want to buy two POS bikes and throw them away for around $200, go nuts. But I preferred to buy something well-designed and well-built that is holding up beautifully.

BTW, this trend does continue with the 20" and 24" mountain bikes. You can get $200 bikes that look just like mountain bikes, but you really can't get a geared bike that is worth the metal it is made of for under around $400.

#16 ·
I work occasionally for a specialized dealer, and they gave my daughter a specialized version of one.

She said they didn't tighten the stem bolts evenly.

The owner of glide bikes is a friend of mine, so I am getting one of those as well. The specialized just had a much lower seat, so she could start playing with it sooner.

#17 ·
Harrier said:
Yes, it cost more. And, yes, that is why it doesn't fall apart. If you want to buy two POS bikes and throw them away for around $200, go nuts. But I preferred to buy something well-designed and well-built that is holding up beautifully.

BTW, this trend does continue with the 20" and 24" mountain bikes. You can get $200 bikes that look just like mountain bikes, but you really can't get a geared bike that is worth the metal it is made of for under around $400.
Personally, I think plywood is a poor choice of materials for a kids bike. And like others have said, I paid under $100 to a local shop for my sons Strider.

#18 ·
Glide Bikes

My kids both learned to ride on the Mini Glider from Glide Bikes. The thing that separates it from the rest is the geometry, its down hill specific 65 deg head angle. This does 2 things it slows down the steering to make it more stable and also the speed at which balance is achieved around 1.5 mph. It also includes foot pegs for kids to rest their feet (Moms will appreciate the shoes not getting scraped up) and a hand brake as well as a real headset with a steering limiter to prevent kids from getting whacked by the handlebars. It also has a lifetime warranty so it can be passed down. My son was balancing at 22 months on the first prototype and riding a 2 wheeler at 2 1/2 my daughter was 4 at the time and she picked it up right away.

use coupon code MTBR09 for a discount

#19 ·
MarcusSommers said:
I work occasionally for a specialized dealer, and they gave my daughter a specialized version of one.
I will vouch for the quality of the Specialized ones as my friend rode his son's down a flight of stairs while drunk :eek: ! He didn't make it too far, but the bike was fine...

On a side note, I just took my son's bike, took the cranks and chain off and had him ride it around like a glider/strider type bike for two weeks. Put the stuff back on and he took off like he'd been riding for years.

#20 · (Edited)
My daughter was using one from BMW. It is a nice balance bike, and then you convert it to pedals. 14" wheels, but low standover in balance mode.

Very well build, and now waiting for my son to grow up a bit. Money well spend. I thought it is expensive, but then I remembered what a single wheel on one of my bikes costs... and she used it for two years, and it is still as new for her brother..

I want to start my son a bit earlier on the balance bike, so looking into TootScoot and Strider, as they seem to be a bit lower. He just got a RadioFlyer Tiny Trike for his first birthday and managed to ride it down driveway today.. Started to walk a couple weeks ago, so he can ride.. :)

#21 ·
Can those of you who bought a Strider comment on how they have held up?

My neighbor purchased one this summer (at my recommendation) and I think it's a POS!! There is so much stiction in the head tube so that the bike doesn't react to small lean angles. Also, there is so much stiction in the hubs. It's like dragging the brakes all the time.

I'm about to take the bike apart for him, regrease everthing and put it back together. Just wondering if the bikes need assembly and the purchaser screwed it up. Or is this a the quality of the brand?

To contrast, our Like A Bike is holding up VERY well. Even after crashing into a concrete wall. BTW, our last picnic, our daughter was at it again. Came down a hill a little too hot and took the acute angled left turn instead of the easy right. Was sliding both front and rear tires back and forth to try to keep it upright. She pulled it off stopping in the gravel. I think she scared herself pretty good. Us too.

#22 ·
My son got his first runner 2 years ago when he was three. (a Norco, but the same as a strider etc.)It lasted about 4 months and then we broke down and spent the $300 on the like a bike Jumper. THE BEST MONEY I HAVE EVER SPENT. The bike has a rear shock, primo components and is well built. We take it everywhere still, even though he can ride bikes with the best of them, the runner is always super fun. I take every chance I can to promote the balance bikes with new parents, especially the ones teaching with training wheels.
We did a couple of videos for you tube,

#23 ·
SquamishRon said:
My son got his first runner 2 years ago when he was three. (a Norco, but the same as a strider etc.)It lasted about 4 months and then we broke down and spent the $300 on the like a bike Jumper. THE BEST MONEY I HAVE EVER SPENT. The bike has a rear shock, primo components and is well built. We take it everywhere still, even though he can ride bikes with the best of them, the runner is always super fun. I take every chance I can to promote the balance bikes with new parents, especially the ones teaching with training wheels.
We did a couple of videos for you tube,
SUPERSTAR!!!

With his eyes fixed on the video, my 1 year old boy watched your son ride that bike. When my wife took him away from the video, he cried! I think I'll look into the Jumper for him!

#24 ·
#25 ·
My son has been riding his Strider for over a year. He's 2.5 now. We take it on trails and ride it pretty hard. The wheels spin great and the steering is just fine. it's the best thing I've purchased for him so far. And, as an added bonus, his little brother gets it next. I'd like to get him a regular bike for his 3rd birthday. Any recommendations for a pedal bike for a 3-year-old? He's pretty tall for his age (37" last time I checked).

#26 ·
traffic002 said:
Can those of you who bought a Strider comment on how they have held up?

My neighbor purchased one this summer (at my recommendation) and I think it's a POS!! There is so much stiction in the head tube so that the bike doesn't react to small lean angles. Also, there is so much stiction in the hubs. It's like dragging the brakes all the time.

I'm about to take the bike apart for him, regrease everthing and put it back together. Just wondering if the bikes need assembly and the purchaser screwed it up. Or is this a the quality of the brand?

To contrast, our Like A Bike is holding up VERY well. Even after crashing into a concrete wall. BTW, our last picnic, our daughter was at it again. Came down a hill a little too hot and took the acute angled left turn instead of the easy right. Was sliding both front and rear tires back and forth to try to keep it upright. She pulled it off stopping in the gravel. I think she scared herself pretty good. Us too.
As you can see in my sig I do have a link to Strider and was around them during their developement so I can add some insight here. I am not however a paid employee, just a dad of a toddler that knows the inventor.

Regarding the hubs, yes they are real bearings and they respond to the same adjustments and lube as full size bikes. In my dozen years of wreching in shops it was common to go through the hubs on assembly, most folks don't even think of this in the age of "sealed "bearings. But that is a different rant.

The headset is a self lubricating bushing. They do start out snug but it actually helps the younger riders with bar control. Usually a few spins starts the break in process. If it really bugs you a spritz of silicone will make it smoove like butter. The very first protos are still around and being hammered with the original headsets after several years so they do hold up.

If we step back as cyclists and look at these bikes with the eyes of Joe Blow or the average soccer mom you get a better picture. Most folks won't can't or don't know how to air up tires, spot a headset so loose the cups are falling out of the frame or needs lube. They desinged these bikes to be "wash and wear". Cindy Soccer can throw it in the car, take it to the park and let the kids play.

Just my .02:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.