mtbr member

Girls specialized hot rock

I been looking for a bike for my son and really want to find him a used hot rock. Does any body know if there is a difference in the 20" hot rocks boys or girls or is it just colors. I found one that is white and says it is a girls. Doesn't look to girly and was just wondering if there is anything different?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just colors. Sometimes the girl ones come with a basket. Seriously.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    the down tube might be slightly lower but my daughters is a girls model and it still could pass as a boys bike with a coat of paint. There are a couple of guys on this forum that have painted a girls HR for their boys that turned out awesome looking. there is a whole sticky thread in the family section dedicated to HR builds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    How old is your boy? I just got (will do a new thread with this, I'm so excited), yesterday, my 7-year old (turning 8 in September) a Myka (adult XS, 13" frame) with 26" wheels. When she first got on it, it looked HUGE, but after just an hour of riding, it no longer looks so big, and she has tamed it very well. She LOVES it. Gotta go for a trail ride tomorrow!

Girls specialized hot rock-ad-bike.jpg

As for the difference, I think any girl bike would be good for a small boy, given acceptable colors. Obviously, you want pretty soft forks for both, and appropriate brake levers and cranks if they are very small. The seats on the adult girl bikes are girl-specific, but pretty comfy and still a reasonable shape. Not sure what the seats are on the girls.