Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Giant XTC Project

Well my son has out grown the first bike i built him - a 16" Hutch Pro Racer replica -

And decided he wants a mountain bike like dads. So decided that I would get a second hand bike and build it up properly. Colour scheme will most likely be the same as my 456 -

Managed to pick up a cheap Giant XTC today from ebay. Its tatty but I'm not concerned about that as it will be blasted and powder coated, and the majority of it will be binned.

Plan is for a 1x8 set up (bit of a pain that the crankset is a double, so will have to look what I can do about this), steel parts replaced with ali to drop weight, I've managed to source a 20" Spinner Air Fork (no mean feat as Spinner do not have any outlets in the UK), folding Maxxis Snypers and the big change will be to hydraulic discs, so that will mean building up my first set of wheels. Most bits will be second hand, but working on the basis that this should cost around the price of a new Specialized Hotrock but be much better specced. Looking to have it finished for my sons 6th birthday next month.

Havok
    Very nice, this looks like it'll be really cool. Subscribed to this thread.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hard to see the crank, are the chainrings riveted on and non-removable?

If you are considering re-building the wheels, check out the minimal spoke re-build I recently finished at end of thread;
    Novara Pixie 20" project

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    Hard to see the crank, are the chainrings riveted on and non-removable?
    Sadly yes, but I need to take a closer look at them as I may have a possible solution.
    If you are considering re-building the wheels, check out the minimal spoke re-build I recently finished at end of thread;
    Novara Pixie 20" project
    Cheers for that - very helpful. If i'm planning to go down the hydraulic disc brake route will I be able to go that minimal - especially at the front?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by paulski1966 View Post
    Sadly yes, but I need to take a closer look at them as I may have a possible solution.

Cheers for that - very helpful. If i'm planning to go down the hydraulic disc brake route will I be able to go that minimal - especially at the front?
    You cannot do radial lacing with disk brakes but lower spoke count with crossed spokes is still possible. Using same 36 spoke rims you have now, patterns with 12, 18 or 24 spokes are all possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You cannot do radial lacing with disk brakes but lower spoke count with crossed spokes is still possible. Using same 36 spoke rims you have now, patterns with 12, 18 or 24 spokes are all possible.
    Great - the wheels that are on it will most likely get binned and I'll start from scratch as the cost of replacing spokes and rim is pretty minimal. The new rims I'm looking at are 36h so am i best to stick to 36h hubs to make things easier?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If they are not bent, you might want to disassemble the rims and weight them before you go buy new rims. There are really no super lightweight 20" rims made, very possible that whatever new rims you buy would not weigh any less than the stock rims you already have. 330gr-350gr is probably fairly typical for a 20" singlewall rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If they are not bent, you might want to disassemble the rims and weight them before you go buy new rims. There are really no super lightweight 20" rims made, very possible that whatever new rims you buy would not weigh any less than the stock rims you already have. 330gr-350gr is probably fairly typical for a 20" singlewall rim.
    I'll second this.

OP, I think you're over thinking this a little bit. Just fix it up and let him ride it. He's going to outgrow the thing in a year anyways. He will not notice a 100g weight savings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    I'll second this.

OP, I think you're over thinking this a little bit. Just fix it up and let him ride it. He's going to outgrow the thing in a year anyways. He will not notice a 100g weight savings.
    This is a fair point, but the replacing of the wheels is not about how much it weighs but the fact that I simply don't want to get a freshly coated frame back from the powder coaters and build it back up with crappy parts - because a) it will look crappy and b) putting crapy parts back together is a pain.
    This is what the front wheel looks like on it currently -

From all appearances this wheel never came originally with the bike (same goes with the fork, bars and stem) as the rear wheel is of a different design

This means new nipples and quite possibly new spokes and still having mismatched wheels. The rims I'm looking at are 20 for a pair, so its far from a huge additional spend we are talking about here. I'd always planned to go with hydraulics due to hand strength, and the same reasons for a trigger shifter. I could just quickly fix it up but that isn't really the point - I want a bike that looks cool and that rides well - when your six how cool your bike looks is an important thing, plus I do get enjoyment from turning something that looks crappy into something shiny and new, it must be some sort of OCD thing!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hydraulics are cool, but for my kids' bikes I haven't bothered for two reasons:

1. v-brakes are plenty powerful for lightweight kids, even with weak little hands (but the right levers are important); and
    2. fork choice - its hard to find 20" rigid forks with disc brake mounts. There are some 20" suspension forks with disc brake mounts but they are either heavy or very expensive.

For example, the 20" fork I made did not have disc mounting tabs. Neither does my modified Mag21 for 24" wheels.

My current favourite brake levers for little hands are the promax v-point brake levers. The short lever version is perfect for little hands and can be adjusted close to the bar.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The only reason I'm going down the hydraulic route is that I have a set kicking around unused that I took off of another bike, plus both the fork and frame have the relevant mounts to get it to work, and I like the challenge of doing it. Previous experience with v-brakes with my older daughter has not been great - but like you said that is just more then likely down to the ones being used. For what I would spend replacing the current v-brakes on it I can source a couple of second hand hubs and run the hydraulics I have which are generally easier to use and more powerful - plus they look badass!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    2. fork choice - its hard to find 20" rigid forks with disc brake mounts. There are some 20" suspension forks with disc brake mounts but they are either heavy or very expensive.

For example, the 20" fork I made did not have disc mounting tabs.
    Have to say the shortened Manitou fork you made looks fantastic - strongly considered going down that route (although they are pretty hard to source over here).

I have managed to get my hands on a Spinner Air 20" fork for a very reasonable price - otherwise I would have most likely stuck with V Brakes.

Havok
    I too am going the disc route, building the wheels and all. I am stuck on the fork. I am strongly considering this Carbon disc fork, but It's a lot of money for me.

Name:  fork.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  4.5 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan300 View Post

Name:  fork.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  4.5 KB
    Now they look a thing of beauty! And carbon forks make sense on a kids bike (apart from the cost of course!).
    I wanted some degree of travel in the fork just because my son rides natural single track with me, which is pretty rooty - my daughter has just moved up to a 24" bike and the larger wheel diameter and fork have definitely made things a whole lot smoother for her. My son is without a doubt in the "point-it-down-the-hill-and-pray" style of riding, so I'm hoping the the fork combined with the large volume maxxis snypers will at least reduce the chance of him getting bucked off of the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ...I have managed to get my hands on a Spinner Air 20" fork for a very reasonable price...
    Nice one. They look like pretty much the only relatively lightweight and tunable option in 20" forks.

My other piece of advice would be to get some good lightweight disc hubs. You can use them in future wheel builds as your kid grows into different wheelsizes. Light wheels and tyres make such a difference to how and what the kids can ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Light wheels and tyres make such a difference to how and what the kids can ride.
    Tyre wise I have gone with the folding maxxis snyper - was going to go for Mow Joes but wanted the extra volume that snypers provide and they look to have a little more grip which is handy round here as it gets pretty slippy. Also if I'm being honest CRC had a ridiculous deal on the Snypers (under 11 each) which was just to good to turn down!

Havok
    Yeah, I'm going to try to get some big tires also. I'm having a very difficult time finding anything else that will accommodate disc brakes in 20" size. I tried emailing some of the companies like spawn, specialized, etc. to see if they'd sell a fork separately but no luck.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan300 View Post
    I too am going the disc route, building the wheels and all. I am stuck on the fork. I am strongly considering this Carbon disc fork, but It's a lot of money for me.
    While it has a visual bling attraction, this carbon fork also has a hefty 210 pound rider weight limit and is made to pass current adult DIN standards, subsequetly it weighs 750gr (1.5 pounds)! For comparison, cheaper 700c adult road carbon forks weigh less than 400gr and non-disk aluminum BMX 20" forks can be bought that are much cheaper and weigh only 1 lbd. Redline R6 Aluminum Race Fork at Danscomp You could likely even start with a lightweight CrMo BMX fork and braze-on a disk mount that would produce a lighter disk fork than this heavy carbon example. I suppose the ultimate project would be to DIY build a kiddie capable carbon fork that is <300gr. Probably not something that any mass-manufacturer is going to offer since it would be too fragile for adult weight, big liability.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Bike all stripped down ready to go to the powder coaters

OK - stupid question of the day - what type of headset fit this?

The fork had been replaced on this along with the headset which is a bit of pain, but there you go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Managed to sort the crank issue and for a bargain 13 from CRC, Funn SolJam 140mm cranks although the Chainring will need changing as it's 38t.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    OK - stupid question of the day - what type of headset fit this?.
    Frame looks to be setup for an integrated headset,t you might try to ID the type and size at Headset Fit Finder

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Here is what Mr Postman delivered today - all the way from Poland

20" Spinner Air fork - quite possibly the only one in the UK, as spinner forks aren't sold here and I don't think any 20" bikes come with these as standard

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Where did you find that! I'm looking for one for one for a couple of years time...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For anyone looking at disc for a 20 inch bike I suggest mechanical. Kids at this age aren't going to be good at modulation. The first time downhill they panic, hydros are sending them over the bars.

My daughter is on a 20inch with mechs, it's nice I can adjust it so at full pull, it won't lock the front.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Havok
    That is a sweet looking frame.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast