Thread: Giant xtc jr 20

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Giant xtc jr 20

I just ordered a giant xtc jr 20 for my 5 yr old . does any one know the weight of this bike. I am hoping it shed some wieght by not having a suspension fork up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton
    I just ordered a giant xtc jr 20 for my 5 yr old . does any one know the weight of this bike. I am hoping it shed some wieght by not having a suspension fork up front.
    22 lb Better then pretty much anything else (24 to 30 lb - weighted everything in a couple shops)

Seat and seatpost is 650g alone.

My goal is to get it down to 20lb - so that it weights as much as my race bike. f course one is for a 40lb girl, and another for a 200lb man.

Nice bike. Grown up parts sizing, so easy to service..

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks for the reply , but i ended up getting my son a Gary fisher precaliber. The Giant xtc jr was on back order and I was to anxius to wait . but my son just loves his fisher and he got used to the shifting in one day and know had a lot more confidence on the trails

mtbr member
    My daughter is barely big enough to get on it now - so I am researching how to get a lighter wheelset, preferably with 8/9sp rear hub, so that I can use a light road derailleur. As I will reuse this bike for my son as well, seems unfair that I spend a mere fraction of what I spend on my bikes that I end up using for less time.

mtbr member
    First round of upgrades done.

Got Race face 70mm stem (130g) to replace stock (180g), and put some Bontrager Crowbar riser bars, cut up down to around 560mm (230g cut vs ~320g stock). I got some used flat Easton (110g) that I will use once I upgrade the twist shifter to one without a pinch bolt (MRX bolt scars carbon bars)

Replaced stock crankset with Sinz 135mm square taper, 36t 110 bcd ring, BBG superlight drilled bashguard and some Token alloy bolts. Not much savings in weight there, but better length (140mm stock). Stock BB was 118mm, ~320g, replaced with Sinz expert 113mm, about 100g down.

Temporarily put on some XTR 970 rear derailleur, to replace Tourney (dang, it was heavy). Not for the long term.

Ordered Dahon Kinetix Comp rear wheel. Now need to decide on the drivetrain - SRAM twist shifter and SRAM short cage derailler, or SRAM attack and some Shimano road derailler. I will run either XT 11-32, or SLX 11-28 cassette.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just bought one xtc jr for my 7 year old too. He's about 46" and the bike seat is almost at the lowest setting. I do see his knee come up real close to his chest and cringe at his riding stance. Will i improve things by raising his seat height or changing the crank? My wife is dead against increasing the seat height esp when he rides the single track with me.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by khaotom
    Will i improve things by raising his seat height
    Yes. Longer stem can also be useful. My daughter is almost outgrowing this bike.. in a year.. not yet 7. It has a fairly short TT for a 20".

Quote Originally Posted by khaotom
    My wife is dead against increasing the seat height

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    ...I will run either XT 11-32, or SLX 11-28 cassette.
    Have you considered getting a 11-34 cassette? They weigh a bit more but will offer better climbing possibilities. Especially with a one ring front setup, the difference to a grown-up bike with 2 or three front rings is huge. I am upgrading my son's Hot Rock 20 to 9 speed, using SRAM X/9 short cage derailleur and X/9 gripshift. I am still waiting for the parts, the 9-speed cassette I ordered seems to be hard to get...

Kind regards,

Clemens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinq
    Have you considered getting a 11-34 cassette? They weigh a bit more but will offer better climbing possibilities. Especially with a one ring front setup, the difference to a grown-up bike with 2 or three front rings is huge. I am upgrading my son's Hot Rock 20 to 9 speed, using SRAM X/9 short cage derailleur and X/9 gripshift. I am still waiting for the parts, the 9-speed cassette I ordered seems to be hard to get...

Kind regards,

Clemens
    I do not think that gearing limits her climbing. At the lower end it seems it is difficult for her to handle. If she makes it - she makes it in something like 34/28.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Just ordered one...how much did it end up weighing after all of the upgrades???

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    How much did it end up weighing after all of the upgrades?

mtbr member
    I just picked up a used 2012 XTC JR 20 last night. Pretty good deal, a traveling fellow at Stanford was here from Sweden with her two kids, and it's time to go back home. So the bikes had to go. Missed out on the Scott Spark, but I think he'll be better off with the lighter rigid fork. I've got an older set of Easton Monkeylite XC low rise bars I'm going to cut down for it. Then maybe get some Kenda SB8 1.95 folding tires and some lightweight tubes. Other than that, just take the kickstand off and keep my eye out for a cheap, lightweight seat post.

mtbr member
    Check the Mow Joe from Schwalbe ,they are 330g and fairly resistant to skiding and pinch flats so far
    Climb it on your bike