Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

giant mtx 125 build

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  GrayJay 
#1 ·
so just got my son a new to him giant mtx got it for x mas present.so I plan to replace the bars, front fork,riser,crank set, and maybe disc brakes for the rear only. in colorado the trails are up and down. so If he is going to ride with dad he needs low gears and alot of stopping power. so my questions are?

front fork ,ridged v- brake compatible. cheep light
fork must also go up throw frame so I will need a riser and bars may get carbon bars.

crank set to get his front gear to a 22 or lower ( it has a 38 rear and 28 front now ) I thought it would be a good weight loss and gearing help to change front gear and get ride of the steel.

any other help to lighten up this bike would be great. but I also have to keep the wife happy and not show her I am spending any more then like 20 here and 30 there on the bike.

#5 ·
front fork ,ridged v- brake compatible. cheep light
For a kids 20" rigid fork, pick one out of three. BMX stuff generally does not have v-brake bosses and is made to withstand 200+ pound riders hucking off buildings. Probably best bet would be to find a light-weight steel fork and have it shortened and have bosses brazed on. Other alternative is to use a 20" BMX race fork but leave the front brake off;
https://www.danscomp.com/products/351050/Redline_R6_Aluminum_Race_Fork.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.