mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Full face helmets for the kids

Well i been saying it for years and it happened to me. I always see kids in xc helmets and i think they should wear full face. So my second one comes along and i didnt have a full face yet. I just had a brain bucket. Well long story short he rode into the fence just the right way and smashed his front gums. Blood went everywhere. His helmet didnt help his face. He wasnt even going fast. Now his teeth are infected and hes going to have to have them pulled put. I wish there was a nice breathable xc full face helmets for kids like giro makes for adults. All i have found is the razor youth helmet and i now have two of them plus my original youth heavy bmx helmet that my oldest has been wearing since he was on a balance bike. But he hates wearing it. He doesnt mind the razor. Anyways just wanted to give you parents a heads up. Freak accidents can happen. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Ugh, sorry about your kid man. That sounds horrible...yanking all the front teeth!?
    Bell Super 2R/3R size small is a great, light, breathable kids helmet (we have these). I see kids wearing them all the time. Super light, you can even take off the face plate, very breathable, Mips, etc. A quick search on here and you'll see a lot of mentions. I think the Fox Proframe is probably the best at the moment, though I don't have much personal experience with those. The key is light weight and breathable. Both the Super 2R and Proframe fit the bill. I got the 2R on closeout for 90$.

Totally agree on needing the FF. Half of the time, its been with stupid stuff like two kids bumping into each other going -10 mph and someone dives their face into the others handlebars. Nice save.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    That's terrible. I hope he heals quickly and without addiotional complications.

Ours was 10 when we put him in a Bell Super 2R. Any younger and there are not a lot of choices for lightweight full face helmets. More DH oriented stuff or moto.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    That's terrible. I hope he heals quickly and without addiotional complications.

Ours was 10 when we put him in a Bell Super 2R. Any younger and there are not a lot of choices for lightweight full face helmets. More DH oriented stuff or moto.
    My guy was about 4.5yro when we put him in Super 2R. Worked/s great. There are several options that are light and then a bunch of options that are heavy Motocross style. All work for the little guys (aside from weight/breathability). If you go to a little kid BMX race they are everywhere. No need to wait.

Read this post: lots of options here and good info!
    Full face helmets?

mtbr member
    I think we're all going to make the transition to Super 3r's. We ride some chunky xc and have had our shared of crashes, especially as our skills have advanced. We made the move to full face helmets for kayaking a few years ago, and it just makes sense for mountain biking. We just picked up a super 3r in Medium for my Wife, fits her great, also fits my 10 year old well...I bet the small gets really small and should work well for most kids. It also seems to be very well ventilated, and I really like the idea of my kid running a chinbar - especially when at the pump/jump track. We have a full face BMX helmet for him, but that thing is just massive and really can't be worn for long, especially during sustained outputs. Brain damage would come from over heating way before it saved his skull from an impact.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    That's awful! So sorry man!

I have 2 Super 3r size S under my desk for Christmas. They're not perfect, I wish they had better ventilation. But they're really well made/engineered. When you look at the whole market for FF helmets, then do the math on buying 2 helmets, the Super 3r starts looking a whole lot more attractive due to quality and weight. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Bell super 2R/3R in size small was way to small for my 6 year old. From age 6 he has worn the Bell Super in size M for cross country riding but wears a more traditional full face for gravity riding and BMX racing. The Met Parachute in size small also fitted him at 6.
    After a get off 2 weeks ago he chose a Fox Proframe to replace the Bell Super. It is a great helmet but much larger in volume than the Bell Super or the Met Parachute. He has the size small (he is now 8) and has to have the thickest pads in it and it is still a bit big - the cheek pads sit a little low (acceptable but not optimal in my mind). The Proframe is about the same weight as the Bell and Met but has a much larger shell - more like a traditional downhill size shell.

Here is the result of 8 year old meeting a rock wearing his Bell Super. Much cheaper than dentist bills.

Full face helmets for the kids-bell-super-crash.jpg
    Last edited by silvascape; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ugh man. Dad to dad, that makes ME hurt. Hope he gets well soon brother. Add me to the pile of dads with kids rocking a Super 2/Super 3. We had been riding with some kind of big box store POS, and "Si" rode off into a freakin' concrete culvert one day because he wasn't paying attention. Smashed face, gums, etc. No dental work fortunately. A few days later I found a Super 2R on closeout and it wasn't hard to sell him on it. He loves that thing. He's 8 now and has been wearing the size small now for about a year and a half. Lots of adjustment room in that thing, and I expect he'll be able to wear it for another year or two atleast and he's a big kid.

Definitely in the club! It has saved his chin and teeth a few times already. He wasn't wearing the chinbar for this photo opp though.
    Full face helmets for the kids-20170610_133858_014_01-900x600.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Definitely in the club! It has saved his chin and teeth a few times already. He wasn't wearing the chinbar for this photo opp though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170610_133858_014_01-900x600.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	280.9 KB 
ID:	1167886
    Sweet pic. Is that a Maxwell 24? How is the rear shock working for small bump sensitivity? How is the Snyper fork? Thinking about getting one of those in a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Sweet pic. Is that a Maxwell 24? How is the rear shock working for small bump sensitivity? How is the Snyper fork? Thinking about getting one of those in a year or so.
    Its a 26 pre-production bike. I wish i could answer that for you but since I couldn't ride it and my boy can't articulate such nuances all I can go off of is watching how the bike reacted as he rode it. The suspension worked which at his 60lbs was great since coil spring based suspension flat put didn't work. The rear end tracked well and the fork absorbed rocky rooty terrain and kept him in line much better than his coil sprung hardtail. Thats about all I can ask for without being able to ride it myself to get a feel for the leverage ratio of the rear. Dialing the suspension for his low weight was pretty easy and he loved the bike. The fact he wanted to ride with us more often was good enough for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hmm... problem is you never actually plan for accidents. A bit obvious but ...
    The 3R or similar is great and I actually have one myself and planning one for Jnr.... but its not really a proper FF in terms of protection but miles better than no chin bar at all...

He's currently got either a proper FF or a Bell kids helmet but the FF only gets worn at bike parks. (when he races kids XC he rides an even lighter "kids road" helmet but it's incredibly tame)

I'm a great fan of the detachable chin .... but experience has taught me that crashes happen in the most unexpected of circumstances and a good number when you least expect them. (like someone said kids messing in a parking lot etc.)

We have a FF with similar gashes as the photo above that saved Jnr at best a trip to hospital ... and he walked (or rode) away from what would have been nasty through very nasty literally bouncing on rock on his knee pads and helmet for 20' until he hit a briar patch that stopped him. Where his thigh scraped the rock around the knee pads he has a scar a good 3" x 2". That was what accounts to a pretty bike forest sized bike park for the UK with uplift etc..

That was on the easiest DH run in the bike park... mostly I think over confidence...

A few months ago we were at another smaller "bike park" (no uplift) and it was blisteringly hot and he wore his non FF and I took off the chin strap... in fact in the morning I'd got my kneepads round my ankle...I was just following Jnr on a run they had created a double no big jumps and I was just following a 7yr old (not paying attention) and ended up planting the front wheel in a 1' deep hole pretty much exactly the length of my wheel. (The wheel wedged in so tight it had to be pulled pretty hard to get it out ) .. I ended up with a broken arm and a few thousand in dental work...

I guess the point is in the first one above we would have had the chin guard on... but really only because of the rest of the runs we were doing.... but in the last one I took the chin guard off and in all honesty I'd probably have let him take one off as well.

3 weekends ago however we rode a 20 mile route with a 2000' climb but then pretty rough descents (in fact its part of the Welsh national Enduro stages) and the Bell would have been ideal as we could have ridden up without chin guard then put it on for the mainly downhill half...

So I don't think it really replaces a proper FF for uplift days but its way better than an open face for mixed days...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    FWIW, they now offer a DH rated version of the Super... so you can have your uplift day cake and eat it too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thanks for the well wishes and i will get a bell super 3r. i was unaware of them till now. well now a week later he's toothless for the next few years. he looks older. anyways, today both my boys get new bikes. the older get a new bike and the toothless younger one inherits a bienn 20. both wearing full face all the time, lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher2011 View Post
    FWIW, they now offer a DH rated version of the Super... so you can have your uplift day cake and eat it too.
    Wow... those are expensive!

Meantime I saw the 3R in small on 1/2 price and we bought that.
    It's not been properly tested yet.... (as in a big crash) but its fine for climbing...even with the chin guard on. Would still use a proper FF for DH uplift days but the 3R is now his main helmet

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Steve was the 3R local or online? If I could find one for < $150 like we did for Si's 2R, I'd pick up another for his brother for when he starts getting serious.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher2011 View Post
    Steve was the 3R local or online? If I could find one for < $150 like we did for Si's 2R, I'd pick up another for his brother for when he starts getting serious.
    It was in the UK ... one of the Black Friday deals but from an actual (bricks and mortar) bikeshop ... .. (or the ones that look good are usually useless as they only have XXL or XXS etc.) In this case it was only Small.... available which was exactly what I wanted ...

they were also doing XT rear mechs half price... (which is how I found the Bell) .

I don't now about your side of the pond but they also had lots of Small's left over in the 2R when the 3R came out...and there are loads of deals on 3's without chin bar but then you're paying retail for the chin bar....

It seems to me they get supplied 1/3 each S/M/L and end up with more Smalls left over ??? (It was £99 so well under $150 at the moment)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That's how it is over here. Si's 2R was a discontinued color or something like that, so when the next model year hit the shelves we got it for like $125 vs. the usual $250'ish.