View Poll Results: What setup do you use?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Front child seat

3 25.00%
  • Rear child seat

1 8.33%
  • Trailer

8 66.67%
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Front seat, rear seat or trailer

Hello family riders Not new to the forum but quite new here in the family section I went across a couple of threads because I want to carry our 10 mo son with us. Oh yes, not willing to take him for a long trip at the begin just a short riding to see if he actually enjoys it. Hence I have a dilemma whether to buy rear seat, front seat or a trailer. We will ride with my wife together. Trailer seems a little complicated to handle and to store. Currently my thoughts lean towards a rear/front seat like WeeRide SafeFront, Hamax Caress Observer or rear mounted Hamax Caress. Rear mounted seat has an advantage of sleeping function. If I buy a front mounted seat yes it has some advantages like you see your kid and have retained rear rack with all of its available space on the bike to seasonally carry fruits, vegetables from our garden or just a baggage for the trip. I am just afraid I don't have enough space to fit the front mount seat under the stem of my bike. Apart of that any suggestions and recommendations? I created a poll what setup are you running to help me make a fine decision and it may serve others to decide and give overview what do most of us preferr.
    Last edited by MK96; 05-31-2014 at 02:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Up to now 1 front seat, 1 rear seat and 2 trailers Still not certain what is the best solution It seems like everyone suits different carrier according to his needs.

I didn't vote b/c there was no option for using multiple methods concurrently

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes, b/c I wanted a poll w/o combinations of either of choices In the time back when you had one child what were you using, trailer only?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've used front (ibert) and trailer (schwinn joyrider). Nowadays with both kids grown out of the trailer, we loaned out the trailer. I loved the ibert though, fantastic setup. Your child can see what you see, you can chat with them. That is very helpful when you have a child that easily frightens, because you can be right there with them. We used the ibert till they no longer fit in it, then switched to the trailer.

Front seat, rear seat or trailer

Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Yes, b/c I wanted a poll w/o combinations of either of choices In the time back when you had one child what were you using, trailer only?
    Trailer from 6mo-about 15mo (prior to 12mo, anything but trailer is questionable.). After that, ibert FTW. When I take both kids w/out wife it's a battle for the ibert.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for that suggestion, I will consider this for sure!

Birdman aka JMJ
    Mid-seat, actually. LOCT Body Space... or the Chariot trailer until big enough for the LOCT.

JMJ

mtbr member
    My current vote is for the trailer, we have a Burley Encore.

We decided not to bike with our son until he was able to hold his head up easily and wear a helmet reasonably well, which was 16mos. I suppose if you can use the child seat securely in the trailer so the 10month old has good protection and support for his head then go ahead with your bad self. I would under no circumstances use anything other than the trailer until the child is able bodied and can wear a helmet. This opinion is also based on his pediatrician's recommendation.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    When he was 16mos did you use trailer also or a seat? There is now a trend among new car seats to mount them in n the rear facing direction until age of 3y and after 3y mount the seat in the front facing direction. IFF the seat supports this dual mount setup of course.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As already mentioned, with a child that young they can't hold the weight of their own head well yet- hence the reason car seats are rear facing.

Add in the fact that we've all had stupid mistakes that have caused falls even on the simplest rides, would you drop your child from that height?

Trailer.

The one LBS I deal with often wont even sell the seat because he wants no part in it.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    When he was 16mos did you use trailer also or a seat? There is now a trend among new car seats to mount them in n the rear facing direction until age of 3y and after 3y mount the seat in the front facing direction. IFF the seat supports this dual mount setup of course.
    When he was 16 mos we started to use a trailer and and a helmet. He is now 18mos, same trailer and helmet. I never used his baby seat in the trailer as it would've been awkward and he was not able to sufficiently control his head until he was about a year. On his pediatrician's recommendation, we did not bike with him until we could find a helmet that fit him properly, he has a specialized small fry. I think the general rule is to wait until they are at least a year and have good control of their head. I'm pretty sure there is a weight recommendation too but I'm not sure, probably 20lbs+ would be my guess. His current car seat faces rearward, it is possible to flip it forward when he attains a certain weight or age. The earlier car seat was only rear facing, it was his baby carrier with a base. I don't think we will ever use a bike seat, the trailer affords him more freedom to move about and play with toys. He'll probably go to a strider and then a tag-a-along.
    I will admit that when I was a kid there seemed to be less concern about safety measures. I will also admit that it seems that today's kids need to be in full football dress when they go out the front door to play and I think it's ridiculous. However, I further think there has since been enough observation and data collection to at least listen and attempt to implement safety procedures and acquire safety gear to protect the little guys, sometimes from themselves, because I wouldn't want a silly mistake or accident to affect them potentially for the rest of their lives.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I will admit that when I was a kid there seemed to be less concern about safety measures. I will also admit that it seems that today's kids need to be in full football dress when they go out the front door to play and I think it's ridiculous.
    I agree, but we didn't live in rush & hurry and there were few not so powerful cars around. Another time & place we live now. But I find these still ridiculous (not a bike stuff, its for home use):

Name:  191061071137_1.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  6.7 KB

Anyway my mind leans more towards a trailer now ...