mtbr member

Freehub Options (Scott Scale Jr 20)

Looking to replace the stock thread-on freewheel and hub with a freehub and cassette. Rear dropout spacing on the 20" Scale Jr. is 126mm.

I've done a bit of lurking about on this forum and abroad but no such luck with a 126mm spacing. So, need to hit up the group.

Any freehubs available with that type of spacing or am I limited to a thread-on freewheel and hub?

Appreciate any info.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here is a link to a build where someone used an IRD 7 speed Project Ayla's 1st Mountain Bike

IRD Freewheels

Defiant Freewheel Info

This is a freewheel and is different than what you are looking for, right? But it would give you another option?

FYI
    Bill

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Bill but unfortunately that's still a thread on freewheel. I was hoping to find a freehub that would allow me to put a cassette on.

Ideally I want to set this up as a single. Single cog with spacers on either side of the freehub body. This would give me the most flexibility for varying terrain.

The real killer appears to be the 126mm rear drop out spacing. I'm interested as to what the spacing is on the Marin Hidden Canyon. Looks like a number of folks are having no problem putting a 130mm or 135mm spaced freehub on them.

My only option may be going with a dedicated single freewheel from Shimano or White Industries. Not necessarily a bad thing but might make chainline a bit tricky and not give me the lower gear options I'd like.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Hidden Canyon is 135mm

You should have no problem putting a 130mm road hub into the 126mm rear end of the Scott.

Or if you're set on 126mm there are 80's road hubs with freehubs and that spacing.

Lastly you can take apart your existing freewheel and use its body and spacers to run it as a single speed. Its a few more minutes work to swap cogs around but not really a big deal.

mtbr member
    Shayne,
    I'd thought of squeez'n the 130 hub in there but figured with the aluminum and the already short stays it would be a bit dicey.

As you mentioned, not a problem. I even have a King road hub that's not in use so I can roll with that. Appreciate the input.

Now time to find a 32h rim and spokes and do some wheel building.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yup - I just used a road hub and it fits without much fuss... Sound slike you have a hub, but if you need a hub, you can get some cheap chinese road hubs on ebay that work fine (and they are light).

and I got some velocity rims (aeroheat I think?) made for recumbents and they worked great too...