mtbr member
    May 2012

Free wheel 12" rear wheel?

I want to ditch the coaster brake on my boy's 12" bike. He is 4.5 and is using the bike as a balance bike right now. I got hand brakes on the bike and took the cranks off. The problem is the coaster brake hub has a lot of rolling resistance compared to a free wheel. He does not like it that the bike has a lot of resistance.

I found that the GT Mach One Mini 12" has a free wheel, however this bike is $150 and my son will soon outgrow 12" bikes. I looked at used Mach Mini's and there aren't many.

Does anyone know where I could get a 12" free wheel hub for around $50 or so? Or how about lacing in a free hub onto the existing wheel?

For some reason or another he does not want to ride the bike with pedals. I'm sure he will "eventually", I just want to help the process along...

Any ideas on free wheels?
    Thanks
    Bill

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How many spokes on the currnt coaster brake wheel? Re-lacing to a freewheel hub should not be too difficult if you can match spoke count and the hub width.

You might also possiblly able to open the coaster hub and gut the brake mechanism to remove the permanent drag.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks, looks like 16 spokes. I was thinking of loosening the cone nuts on coaster brake, which should help.
    Bill

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Should be easy to lace a 16 spoke rim to a 32 spoke hub (very common hub).

Coaster brake hubs definitly do have some inherent drag that rim-brake hubs do not have.

mtbr member
    There shouldn't be any extra resistance with the coaster break if you've got the crank and chain off as its rolling on the bearings.
    Take the wheel off a strip and relube the bearings and then adjust the play in the cone.
    It should spin freely.

If you want to ditch the coaster because of it not being easy to use that's different.
    Have look at OSET. They do electric Trials bike for kids and sell a 12" wheel with hub for about $30, you'll then need to get a bmx freewheel when you come to fit the chain.
    You'll also have the option to fit disc brakes if you wanted.
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by griffter18 View Post
    There shouldn't be any extra resistance with the coaster break if you've got the crank and chain off as its rolling on the bearings.
    Take the wheel off a strip and relube the bearings and then adjust the play in the cone.
    It should spin freely.

If you want to ditch the coaster because of it not being easy to use that's different.
    Have look at OSET. They do electric Trials bike for kids and sell a 12" wheel with hub for about $30, you'll then need to get a bmx freewheel when you come to fit the chain.
    You'll also have the option to fit disc brakes if you wanted.
    Yes, I would also like to ditch the coaster, because it is not easy to use. Once he starts riding this 12" bike with pedals on, he will be able to ride a 16" bike real soon. So, I do not want to put much time or money into the 12" bike. I like those electric Trials bikes!!!

It's kinda funny, I am all into bikes and such and my son and daughter and wife could basically care less, lol. I just don't want to push them, just expose them.
    Thanks
    Bill

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I loosened the cone nuts on the coaster brake and it spins pretty freely. Thanks all. Bill