Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Finally bought a bike

After thinking we needed a 20" and researching those to death, to finding out she needed a 24" and deciding on one, then back pedalling and cancelling, we've finally decided on a bike for our daughter. I wanted to thank everyone for their opinions and suggestions. A special thanks to thesmokingman.

This is what she's getting XtC Jr 0 24 (2014) | Giant Bicycles | Canada Apparently this model isn't available in the USA. It should be here early next week. It's more bike than she needs at this time, but I'm okay with that. Hopefully we get into more serious riding as she gets older and glad this bike will be able to take it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well done, and looks a nice bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Looks great! She will love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice option. Wish I had know about that model. Might have had my brother in law buy it and ship it to me.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We're all super excited to get it. I'm hoping she does better with the trigger shifters. She won't shift with the grip shift at all. Granted she's just on a borrowed box store 20" right now until hers arrives and I'm sure its shifters are crap. But she can't shift and then when she's getting off her bike she ends up shifting and then when she gets back on the chain falls off. Oh and she can't reach the hand brakes (not even once adjusted) so is essentially riding without brakes. Good times on these cheap, crap bikes.

Cannot wait until hers gets here! Oh and I got it on sale too! Pretty sure her bike is nicer than my hubby's older Marin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Grats on your purchase again. Btw, I just contacted Suntour about the fork on the Zero and it is $250 USD. At the price you got the Zero at, it's freaking steal!

I'll probably end up ordering one too for the craigslist XTC 24 find I just scored.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Looks like a great option. If only it was available in us. Please update us with impressions and actual out of the box weight when you get it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Grats on your purchase again. Btw, I just contacted Suntour about the fork on the Zero and it is $250 USD. At the price you got the Zero at, it's freaking steal!

I'll probably end up ordering one too for the craigslist XTC 24 find I just scored.
    Yikes! Lucky you got a great deal on the bike so it's cost effective to add it!

Quote Originally Posted by dcp_nz View Post
    Looks like a great option. If only it was available in us. Please update us with impressions and actual out of the box weight when you get it.
    Absolutely!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post

Lil Shredder bikes might still have some 24'' Spinner Air forks. Think it's cheaper. I'm very happy with the one on my son's bike.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    And it's on the bus! Will be here tomorrow morning!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    And it's in my car in a box! Can't wait to get home and open it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Sweet! Take some pics too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well it's unpacked and I assembled what needed to be assembled and it's ready to go! The battery on my scale is dead so my scale is just flashing low...urgh. I got a weight of 28.8# before it said "LO" which could be unreliable in that state as previous experience says it is. It has reflectors already on it (wheels, seat and handlebar) which I didn't remove to weigh. I know Giant's Austrian site says it's 12.55kg.

First impressions: very nice looking bike! Shock is easy to adjust, easy to lock and I'm pretty sure my kids weight will easily activate it. We'll check that this weekend. The main tubes are cool! They are triangular, not circular. I swear the XTC Jr 1 had round tubing? thesmokingman, can you confirm? And I love the black rims. And quick release wheels.

The rear brake engages sooner and with less force than the front brake. I assume this is by design to prevent them from slamming the front brake on?

Problems: the handlebars are WIDE. I measured and they are 24", same as on my bike. Should I be looking into cutting them shorter or getting a narrower set? I just want her safe on the bike so I'm not sure if it's better for her to have them wider or narrower. She's not a big kid.

Second problem is on top of the left side of the fork, it's scratched in a couple places! Could have happened in shipping even though it was packed very well. Should I contact the store I purchased it at? If so, what should I expect the resolution to be? Pic below.

She took it for a spin just on the paths at our park across the street. She was super wobbly at first and had trouble getting going. Mostly because she's a super wary, "I can't do it" kind of kid so we basically just told her, press down on the pedal and get moving! After a couple tries, she's okay now. And then figured out she can start moving just with the balls of her feet and then start pedalling. So that's an accomplishment for her in 3 minutes of riding.

We did not attempt gears at all. No attempt at changing gears today. The few minutes she rode I just worked on having her hands out further so she could actually brake. Because the bars were wide, she was jamming her hands in as close as she could on the grips which made her brake leverage poor.

And pics of her before she took it out for a spin:

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The XTC main tubes are hyrdo formed. The top tube is quite triangular and it reduces down quite a bit at the seat tube.

For the brakes, you can control how much bite they have during bleeding. It is good to set the front brakes with less bite for inexperienced fingers. Btw I would rotate the brake levers higher so that she doesn't have to reach down. At her height it will probably be a while before she is standing over the bars, so a more relaxed reach is better imo.

Regarding the handlebar length, wider is generally better as it is not as constricting. However you don't want to cut too much off because she is still growing so try to strike a balance. Iirc, my sons XTC is running 610mm.

How to Fit Yourself on a Mountain Bike Like a PRO | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

The bike overall looks nice. The weight is a lil high but Giant did not spec it for weight weenies instead compromised for cost. You could drop the weight rather easily though by removing the kickstand, derailleur guard, reflectors (swapping to 3m reflective tape instead) and swapping some components. For instance, the drivetrain is primed for a 1x10 setup. 1x or no front derailleur setups shave a lot of weight, just by removing the extra chainrings and derailleur. Oh, my son's XTC is down to 25lbs and change with kickstand. I guess its convenient for them. I want to swap it to an adjustable alu one though, the stocker is steel and is too short so the bike sits at pretty large angle.

That's off the top of my head... Good luck and have fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We'll adjust the brake levers tomorrow. Good idea, thx. Her bars would also be 610mm. I'm going to let her try them for a bit before doing anything. She had a tense arm position when trying it out for the few minutes so I'd like to see how they look once she's not riding with her elbows up in the air. I'll take a look at your link later too.

Awesome idea with the 3M reflective tape. I'll do that this weekend as well. There isn't a kickstand. It didn't come with one. I also didn't get a bell. Not that a bell is hard to get, but the specs page says it comes with one. And they're required on our city paths here.

The 1x10 setup intrigues me so I'll look more into that soon. I think I also want to swap the pedals for something nicer looking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Weigh the tires if you get a chance, one of easiest places I've found to lose a lot of weight on a kids bike. If I remember correctly, the stock tires on my son's bike were in the 700-800g range.

Schwalbe has some nice ~ 420g tires 24 inch tires. Depending on what you're riding. I have these:
    Front -- Rocket Ron HS 438 | Schwalbe North America
    Rear -- Mow Joe HS 371 | Schwalbe North America
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I will weigh the tires. It'll be nice to know what parts will give me the greatest weight savings if we decide to swap anything out at any point. For the time being, she'll be using it as is other than replacing the reflectors and possibly the pedals. But I'm open to changing things up down the line.

I sent the bike shop the pics of the scratches which I'd guess happened during shipping and that part probably was vibrating and rubbing against something. The bike was packed so well with lots of cushioning and zip ties holding things in place (zip ties were all on top of foam so as not to scratch or cut into anything) so this must have just been a fluke that something rubbed there. They said they'd send out some touch up paint. Better than nothing I guess?

Goat of Legend
    Keep the bars between 23 - 24 inches. That's a good width I believe for the little ones on 24 inch wheels. Wider bars are more stable and turn a little slower. It is also what my daughter has on her Cannondale Race. The ones that came on it were 23.5. Also, what length is the stem. The 60mm on my daughter's bike has her a little stretched so I ordered her a 32mm length...in green of course . The blue would look really good on that bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It's a very similar spec to the Specialized Hotrocks Disc that I bought last year.

I don't know if I'd worry about the wee bit of scratched paint, she's bound to fall off it sometime soon and scratch it up, so why worry now?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post
    It's a very similar spec to the Specialized Hotrocks Disc that I bought last year.
    Yes I had thought they were very comparable when I looked this year. In Canada, the Spesh is $160 more than the Giant so I was cool with it when she said she liked the blue Giant better than the green on the Spesh.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    From my craigslist xtc 24, I was able to get some rough measurements. Not much else is worth weighing since just the frame is staying hehe.

Bare frame = 1730g
    tire = 720g

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Crazy how little the frame weighs.

I haven't weighed any parts this weekend. Manned a garage sale all day yesterday with the kids and it's been raining all day today. Did get the brake levers adjusted for her but she hasn't tried out the positioning yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post

I don't know if I'd worry about the wee bit of scratched paint, she's bound to fall off it sometime soon and scratch it up, so why worry now?
    Not to be a ball buster, but the Giant comes with a Air Fork, the Specialized is a coil/MCU.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Not to be a ball buster, but the Giant comes with a Air Fork, the Specialized is a coil/MCU.
    I had forgotten about that. For me, that was a major difference (others being the higher price here and that my kid doesn't like green). If I was getting the weight of a suspension fork, after reading around here, I decided it better be an air fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The used XTC bike I bought had a ton of scratches all over it. Luckily they were mostly light and on the rather thick clearcoat. An hour with the buffing wheel and some compound had the frame looking almost new.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast