Thread: Finally on 26"!

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006

Finally on 26"!

It's on now! My boys new rig (he's 11)

Mojo SL with a Revelation RLT and a decent selection of mid-level bits, with some changes still to be made. Judging by the maiden voyage, I finally saw some real enthusiasm for trail riding for the first time (usually it's all about BMX or DH). I'm psyched.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

try driving your car less
    nice! my oldest is turning 11 this fall and I will have him on a 26".
    Is that a S or XS? Is your kid 'average' sized? How did you choose FS or hardtail? My kid still likes to just tool around with his buddies and I am not giving him a carbon bike for that, but want something good for trails. I was thinking Al hardtail with decent bits...
    Only boring people get bored.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Thanks J. It's a small, and he's 5' tall.

He's had both a HT (Hotrock) and FS (Gromhit) 24" or a few years and always like riding the FS better on dirt, even though it weighted twice as much and wasn't exactly the most efficient set-up in the world. Mainly we "chose" the Ibis cuz it's a freebie hand-me-down from my father, who has moved on to 29" wheels. He's lucky it's too small for ME!

He tends to gravitate towards techier terrain, as well as jumping over/off anything in sight, so the bike will be a good fit for his style I think.
    Last edited by slapheadmofo; 06-17-2015 at 07:37 AM.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

turtles make me hot
    Oh man. I get it. I toughed it through a 20" build and a 24" build. When my son finally fit a 26er, making his bike light got pretty easy.
    He's currently on a Medium fat bike. When he outgrows that, my wife can ride it.
    I like turtles

try driving your car less
    Well done. I will probably go with a cheap Al frame, hopefully V brake, as many parts as I have laying around. a good SID fork. if i dont have enough parts bin stuff i might get myself a new bike and scavenge the old one.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Congratulations, great bike! My 12 yo got a 26" bike a few weeks ago, making it a lot easier to score parts. He also went from hardtail to a fully.

Enjoy your rides together on the trails and keep us posted!

Kind regards,

Clemens

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nice! I can't wait until my son gets big enough for a FS 26" bike. His hardtail is 26", but FS I'm keepign him on 24" for a while. Hence my other thread!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    No small Gruitr??

Name:  original.png
Views: 194
Size:  192.9 KB

mtbr member
    My son just turned 8 and not quite ready for a 26er. His 24" Rocky Mountain is a really good fit now for trail riding, but the kid grows like a weed and will probably be able to run a 26er next year. Right now, he tools around town and dirt roads on a 15" Boris Fatbike, but its way too big for trail rides for a while. This winter on groomed snow is going to be a blast though. Its really interesting to see him grinding along on gravel-small rock trails at 3 psi and see what he can go over.

So, here's my dilema. We don't need a 26er right now, but who's going to be making decent, small, Full squish 26er's in a year or two? No one, that's who. With everyone going 27.5 to 29+ and every possible plus/fat size inbetween, my thought is that this should be the ideal time to pick up some sweet, used, light, full suspension "obsolete" 26ers.

Anyone else thinking along these lines? I'm thinking its going to need to be more XC geometry with 100mm ish travel in the front. Any longer travel and slacker geometries might lead to wonky handling for a kid.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    My son just turned 8 and not quite ready for a 26er.

So, here's my dilema. We don't need a 26er right now, but who's going to be making decent, small, Full squish 26er's in a year or two? No one, that's who. With everyone going 27.5 to 29+ and every possible plus/fat size inbetween, my thought is that this should be the ideal time to pick up some sweet, used, light, full suspension "obsolete" 26ers.

Anyone else thinking along these lines? I'm thinking its going to need to be more XC geometry with 100mm ish travel in the front. Any longer travel and slacker geometries might lead to wonky handling for a kid.
    This bike exists, and your son might fit it now: Fuel EX Jr - Kids' Bikes collection - Trek Bicycle

Though to make it more enjoyable for a 4'4"-5' kid some significant weight will need to be dropped, 29 pounds stock.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
    No small Gruitr??

Name:  original.png
Views: 194
Size:  192.9 KB
    Couldn't pass up the freebie.

He's all over my DNA though, and I'll probably revive my Splinter as a mini-DH bike for him too at some point.
    FTW FTW!

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Any longer travel and slacker geometries might lead to wonky handling for a kid.
    That all depends on the kid and where/how they're riding.

As far as that Trek goes, for $2k, I'd buy an older high-end used 26er in a heartbeat over it.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    That all depends on the kid and where/how they're riding.

As far as that Trek goes, for $2k, I'd buy an older high-end used 26er in a heartbeat over it.
    True enough, but standover height of most "S and XS" 26" bikes are still in the 27+ inch range.

Your Mojo has a 29" standover as I recall but your boy looks like he can ride ok.

Fluid 6.3 is another 26" option
    https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain...luid/fluid-63/

Pivot also made some Xs Mach 4's for a few years in 26", but most that I have seen on Craigslist are pink and $3000 or more used.

mtbr member

Yeah, I was thinking the same, but we just don't have the garage space for an extra bike. Hopefully there will still be some decent ones in the used markets in a couple of years.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    True enough, but standover height of most "S and XS" 26" bikes are still in the 27+ inch range.

Your Mojo has a 29" standover as I recall but your boy looks like he can ride ok.

Fluid 6.3 is another 26" option
    https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain...luid/fluid-63/

Pivot also made some Xs Mach 4's for a few years in 26", but most that I have seen on Craigslist are pink and $3000 or more used.

Thanks - he's taught me a thing or three.

I think standover isn't really that big a deal (within reason of course). A lot bikes that tout a low standover height number measure it at a place where you'd have to be a contortionist or be riding without a seat to end up seeing any advantage from it.

I took a look at the Mojo geo chart and they seem to realize this and give 2 standover heights - 27" to the lowest spot (the one that doesn't really come into play) and 29.6" to the midpoint of the top-tube, which is where you're actually going to need it.

The Norco site says the Fluid is 27.25", but it does seem to seem to ramp up a little less abruptly. (That Trek runs about 1/2" lower).

Still, if a kid is at an age and level where they're riding a 26" bike that's worth a few grand, you've gotta figure they know how to get off the thing in a better way than jumping straight forward off the seat and planting both feet flat on the ground. If they don't, yet, I can't imagine it's a mistake they'd make more than once.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.