mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Fellow Gearhead Dads, I Need 24" Thoughts...

My 6 year old is about ready to move up a bike size. He's 51" tall and a solid 65lbs.

He's been riding a Shred 2.0 that I have down to about 22lbs. Not sure where to go from here.

30% of his riding is Whistler/ Gravity fed
    50% is skatepark, dirt jumps, bmx and pump track
    20% is general cruising

I'd love to set him up with a lightweight full suspension, but an appropriate frame does not seem to exist (wink wink Brian @ lil shredder).

A hard tail is fine, but the geo on most isn't great for the gravity stuff. Plus I'd like to get 4" fork on it.

Disc brakes are a must.

I'd love to hear some insights on what you guys are doing.

turtles make me hot
    I just built my son almost exactly what you described.
    I bought a Craigslist Gary Fisher Tyro for 60 bucks. Bike was complete and mint. I'm sure most parents would have used it as is and called it a day.
    I stripped it to the bare frame and built as follows:
    Sunringle Rhynolite 24" rims on Shimano Deore disc hubs, I replaced the triple crankset that weighed a ton with a set of Sinz Cranks with a Salsa 34 tooth ring and Tooth Fairy bashguard.
    10 speed SLX Cassette,X7 derailleur and shifter, Avid Elixir disc brakes.
    The only part I feel I dropped the ball on was the fork. I scored a brand new Manitou Axel for 40 bucks on Ebay. It's a 26" fork. It works fine but it weighs a ton.
    The rest is a Truvative stem, Kalloy uno handlebars, ODI grips, Some superlight seat post and Maxxis Sniper tires.
    He loves the bike and it upped his game on the trails.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There is also diSSent ALC KD Junior 26er Frame - PSYCLESTORE

Basically a kids version of a 29er. It's a kidsl frame designed around 26inch wheels and a 80mm fork.

I doubt you'll find anything currently in a 24 designed around a 4 inch fork.

Rocky Mountain had the Reaper, but that was a 2010. I looked for a long time and never found one used. Bikes | Mountain | Kids | REAPER 24

I'm really happy with the Marin Bayview Trail Disc. It was cheaper than the other which allowed me to get a 24inch air fork and some other parts to lighten it up.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hope this isn't a stupid question but I assume you are running v brakes in the back with disc up front

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by strohpbs View Post
    Hope this isn't a stupid question but I assume you are running v brakes in the back with disc up front

Nope. Discs front and rear. The frame has the mount. I did have to face it to square it up.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    @NS-NV LiL Shredder is working on a 24" frame. Specs include 20" top tube, 4-5" of adjustable travel, low standover, built around a 26" fork, should be available spring 2013.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Obviously there are lots of ways to accomplish your goals. I was in the same situation this summer. I ended up going with a Specialized Grom Hit. I managed to find a new one and got it for $850. Perhaps there are more out there.

The good: Air suspension works wonders for light riders. The fork and shock are set up well for his weight. He is able to ride really fast, and is taking bigger airs.

The bad: It is a pig weight wise. It's the heaviest bike in our house now. I have thought about trying to reduce the weight, but as you know, that is an expensive proposition. Also, it currently has no granny gear, so that combined with the weight makes it difficult to climb. A granny could be added.

Most of our riding is from a lift or shuttle so it seems to work really well. He loves it, and his riding took a leap when making the switch. Kids are incredible at adapting to whatever you give them. All my kids began riding downhill with coaster brakes, with no complaints.

There are few full suspension 24" bikes out right now, as you have probably noticed. The Lil Shredder looks promising if you can afford that (I can't, but my friend got one for his kid, and it is seriously awesome!). Norco used to make one and Kona and Commencal still do. You could get a used one and replace components. The one thing I strongly recommend is air suspension.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I looked at new 24" bikes extensively. I only have one kid, so spending $400+ on a new bike did not seem very cost efficient to me, considering how fast he is growing. You can do it pretty inexpensively if you are willing to do some work, and look for used stuff. Check your craigslist. I found a beat up Haro v24 that had v brakes and a heavy SR Suntour fork. After overhauling the bike, I replaced the heavy steel ringed/riveted triple crank with a used 155 single speed crank and 34 tooth chainwheel. The 7 speed freewheel will be replaced with a Shimano 14-34. It was still very heavy, so I found a rigid 26" v brake fork from an old mtb and had a local frame builder weld on some new v brake mounts for the 24s. That saved over 3 pounds in the front, and only cost $25. It's not as pretty as a new bike, but my 6 year old has helped me do all the work, and learned about/gained respect for bikes in the process. When he steps up to a 26 we will do it with higher grade components, but this is great for my kid to learn on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Great ideas in this thread, thanks guys! Planning up something for an 8th birthday or Christmas...not sure. (Only a week apart.)
    7 yo BMXer/MTBer -modded 20" GT Stomper.
    2 yo BMXer -Haro Micro and custom 3spd Specialized.
    '97 Gary Fisher Aquila.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks guys for taking the time to provide feedback. Lil Shredder would be my first choice, but not sure if it is in the price range yet.

I'm leaning towards pimping out a Stinky 24, as I have a hook-up there. Hoping I can get it below 30lbs, without totally breaking the bank.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That sounds like a good plan. Please share your weight savings as you go to provide ideas. I'm still interested in saving some weight from my son's Gromhit, but am dissuaded by the cost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Based on the Shred 2.0, biggest weight savings came from replacing in this order: wheels (including tires & cassette), bottom bracket (if sq taper), saddle and post, bars and stem.

Basically the entire build!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NS-NV View Post

30% of his riding is Whistler/ Gravity fed
    50% is skatepark, dirt jumps, bmx and pump track
    20% is general cruising
    I'd love to hear some insights on what you guys are doing.
    With 70% riding skate parks/DJ/PT and Cruising....buy a bmx. He will learn so much more and can rip the crap out of it without worry for a few hundred bucks. Then grab a stinky 24 and just rail it the way it is. No need for a super light build for Whistler runs. You could take your time on upgrades.

I did a Rocky Mountain Reaper 24 to try to get a all in one bike and it works good. But......bent derailluers at the skate park and not wanting to lock it up at the school had us grabbing for a BMX. Then on shuttle days he gets a bit rattled but.....we have to pedal to the top of our DH around here ( very Am as the say) so its worked out sweet.
    Enjoy every ride!