mtbr member

father son Christmas bike build transition ripcord!

hey guys thought I would log my boys first bike build with his old man. he asked for a new bike for Christmas as he's outgrown his 20" spawn savage 2.0 so my plan is buying him a frame and all the parts for Christmas and we will build his first full suspension bike together over the holidays! I'm getting him a transition ripcord frame, I looked into the trailcraft Maxwell but the exchange to Canada is just so horrible and my local shop got me a killer deal on a 2017 ripcord frame so went that way. the folks at trailcraft are awesome and are doing great things on the kid front so went with there trailcraft wheels but haven't received them yet waiting on them to come in to trailcraft this week. the bike will be full xt m8000 11spd with all chromag bits and a fox 32 factory up front. hoping to build the little guy his first dream bike for Christmas that he can really shred hard on!! updates as they come..

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    hey guys thought I would log my boys first bike build with his old man. he asked for a new bike for Christmas as he's outgrown his 20" spawn savage 2.0 so my plan is buying him a frame and all the parts for Christmas and we will build his first full suspension bike together over the holidays! I'm getting him a transition ripcord frame, I looked into the trailcraft Maxwell but the exchange to Canada is just so horrible and my local shop got me a killer deal on a 2017 ripcord frame so went that way. the folks at trailcraft are awesome and are doing great things on the kid front so went with there trailcraft wheels but haven't received them yet waiting on them to come in to trailcraft this week. the bike will be full xt m8000 11spd with all chromag bits and a fox 32 factory up front. hoping to build the little guy his first dream bike for Christmas that he can really shred hard on!! updates as they come..
    Sounds cool, take pictures. FWIW I've heard getting the shock revalved for a light rider is a BIG improvement for the Ripcord.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Sounds cool, take pictures. FWIW I've heard getting the shock revalved for a light rider is a BIG improvement for the Ripcord.
    Good to know thanks for the tip! Him and I will build it up and take some pics as the parts arrive and let him try it out first but lucky for us itís snowing here so lots of time to have the suspension worked for a little guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So I havenít received the frame or the wheel set yet but the shop says next week and trailcraft is hoping for next week as well. Parts have started to roll in which Iím pumped about! Fox factory 32 100mm tapered fork, cane creek 40 xs44/ec44 headset, lizard skinz bmx minis,chromag vanguard 680mm handlebar, chromag overture saddle, chromag radar pedals and a whisky carbon seatpost I had . Thatís all for a few more days!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Where did you purchase the Chromag Vanguard bars from?

mtbr member
    The bars were purchased from spawncycles.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No dropper?

mtbr member
    Nope, he will ride and get use to the new bike and 11spd and size of the 24Ē first then we will put the dropper on.

mtbr member
    Cranks came yesterday, went with
    140mm brood direct mounts with there bottom bracket and a brood 30t chain ring!

Professional Nerd
    I wonder if Brood knows that their logo looks like PooJOE upside down?

This will be fun to watch, keep it coming!

Dan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    I wonder if Brood knows that their logo looks like PooJOE upside down?

This will be fun to watch, keep it coming!

Dan
    Thatís friggin hilarious I never noticed that I bet they havenít either lol! Frame arrived today, looks good and am excited to get into it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Is it just me or does it look like you have a tapered fork but a straight head tube? Isn't this going to be a problem? You will need some sort of conversion kit to still be able to use the headset you chose...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Szy_szka View Post
    Is it just me or does it look like you have a tapered fork but a straight head tube? Isn't this going to be a problem? You will need some sort of conversion kit to still be able to use the headset you chose...
    The tapered fork will work with the headset shown. Itís an external lower cup to allow for the bigger bearing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The tapered fork will work with the headset shown. Itís an external lower cup to allow for the bigger bearing.

Awesome! It does not look like you're new to bike building and I figured you got this all under control but I figured I comment just to be on the safe side Good luck with the build! Keep us posted!

mtbr member
    Drivetrain and stem arrived today! Full xt 11spd with chromag 40mm hifi v2 stem.

Workin for the weekend!
    Nice!
    Todd

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Subíd!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    keep the post coming. great build!

mtbr member
    Well Iíve got everything and will start building tonight. Iíll post some pics as I go. Got the trailcraft wheels and they look solid and well built. I pulled the tubes and set one up tubeless quickly and had a bit of trouble at the valve stem wanting to leak quite bad so I just threw the tubes in for now and will deal with that after Christmas. The wheels come with valve stems and pre taped and the tubes were installed with rubber installed and bead seated I was quite impressed! Also came with the two skewers of course and the spacer for an 11 spd cassette. For the money I donít know who out there has a wheelset this light with decent tires that could match trailcraft.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Awesome work man, thanks for the updates/pics. Cool to see an update Ripcord build. What do you estimate the total cost to be? I'm looking in the future at a 24" Full Suspension build. I'm wondering if something similar to Trail Crafts Full XT Build could be done on a ripcord for about 2k-2500$ with better stuff and similar or lighter weight.

mtbr member
    Awesome work man, thanks for the updates/pics. Cool to see an update Ripcord build. What do you estimate the total cost to be? I'm looking in the future at a 24" Full Suspension build. I'm wondering if something similar to Trail Crafts Full XT Build could be done on a ripcord for about 2k-2500$ with better stuff and similar or lighter weight.
    Iím around 2k usd on my build but always look for good deals. I would have bought the Maxwell but the exchange was just shit right now and thought I could build a higher end bike frame up!

mtbr member
    Ok so I mounted the fork,stem and bars tonight along with the wheelset! I used 2 5mm spacers and 1 10mm spacer on the headset so I can go down if need be. Hereís a few pics Iíll go at the brakes and drivetrain tomorrow and see what I can get done. I weighed it 3 times as it stands and was over under 20.5lbs

mtbr member
    you work on bikes like I do. how many times have you stepped on something barefoot? nice build. when my nephew gets older I want to build him a real bike.
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    you work on bikes like I do. how many times have you stepped on something barefoot? nice build. when my nephew gets older I want to build him a real bike.
    Every time Iím out there bro but thatís how I roll! Pair of shorts and barefoot and -30 out in a nice warm garage lol

mtbr member

father son Christmas bike build transition ripcord!

So I finished it up tonight and it all went smooth. Turned out better than I expected at 23.25lbs without a chain or pedals but have an xt 11spd chain waiting just ran out of time. Hereís some pics, I also ordered some colour matched fox fork decals in blue from slik for his fork! Thought it would really seal the deal for how it turned out. It really is a great looking blue in person great paint job!
    Anyway Iíll post some pics when I get the decals on but man at 23.5 lbs(with the chain on!) this bike is friggin light and am super stoked to surprise the little guy Christmas morning. Canít wait to see his face lol!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Have you looked into any bigger tyres ?
    We use the RR's for races on Jnr's XC bike but I'm really struggling to find anything bigger and for really gnarly stuff not made of either lead (wire bead DH) or a special compound of un-obtainium for the front.

We have a Fat Albert on the rear which is actually fairly light and used on really gnarly stuff... but the front we have a really heavy Maxxis wire bead, won't seat tubeless and weighs double the weight of the actual wheel....

I'm looking for anything that is more pedal-able to match with the fat albert that is only made in 24 "rear specific" ....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    Have you looked into any bigger tyres ?
    We use the RR's for races on Jnr's XC bike but I'm really struggling to find anything bigger and for really gnarly stuff not made of either lead (wire bead DH) or a special compound of un-obtainium for the front.

We have a Fat Albert on the rear which is actually fairly light and used on really gnarly stuff... but the front we have a really heavy Maxxis wire bead, won't seat tubeless and weighs double the weight of the actual wheel....

I'm looking for anything that is more pedal-able to match with the fat albert that is only made in 24 "rear specific" ....
    Yes actually, I ordered the brood maxtion tires from spawn in 24Ēx2.3(havenít arrived yet)they claim to be pretty light at 560g so I plan on using them for our rougher trails. The rocket Ronís came with the trailcraft wheels so figured he can use those on our city single track and get along fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Yes actually, I ordered the brood maxtion tires from spawn in 24Ēx2.3(havenít arrived yet)they claim to be pretty light at 560g so I plan on using them for our rougher trails. The rocket Ronís came with the trailcraft wheels so figured he can use those on our city single track and get along fine.

The RR's are fantastic and from our experience (not wanting to jinx it) have put up with an amazing amount of abuse beyond city single track for ever a year (and have yet to not seal).

I know others who have (due to where they ride) found them too delicate... and we have had a few moments cycling at Gran's because its a lot more sharp rocks than roots (wrote off my own Racing Ralph) and we are now spending more time riding where ripping a tyre is a more likely event...

One big advantage is on the Stans rims they seat tubeless really really easily... my 8yr old can do it with just a track pump....

We are also doing more DH's where the extra semi-fat is a bit of welcome suspension and the Fat Albert (its Schwalbe and bigger than the 2.5 Maxxis die ) is pretty awesome for its weight... The Maxxis (steel bead) is a nightmare to seat tubeless ....

It might be I keep the pair for DH weekends and try and get some of the Maxxion's.. but they don't do orders to the UK so I'll have to ask a friend to ship them out from Calgary... timing is a bit poor though as he just sent over a Christmas package.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    You should slam that stem to compensate a lil of the added cockpit height. Is that a 27.5 fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    You should slam that stem to compensate a lil of the added cockpit height. Is that a 27.5 fork?
    Iíve got to wait to see him on it, he likes a taller cockpit like his old man so will see where his comfort level is when he gets it. He was running a fu40 on his spawn savage to compensate for lack of headset spacers. Itís a 26Ē fork

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The Stack isn't entirely high on the Ripcord actually. The stack is like 506. This is due to the design of the bike and the really short (90mm) headtube. So not much needs to be done there to compensate. That's my limited understanding at least.

mtbr member
    Ya that was the number one reason I went with the ripcord was due to the low stack height compared to the rokosuta. I never cut my forks short when I build my bikes just for the simple reason itís easy to chop off 5 or 10mil but have been caught once cutting two short and compensating in risers and I just wonít do it again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The Stack isn't entirely high on the Ripcord actually. The stack is like 506. This is due to the design of the bike and the really short (90mm) headtube. So not much needs to be done there to compensate. That's my limited understanding at least.
    I added 12mm on Jnr's Norco using the Hope External lower cup to accommodate tapered SID's.... I fully expected to have to slam the stem but its actually got a 10mm spacer under it and one above.

When I compare to my trail bike it seems very similar in terms of overall geo...again due to the bike being designed with a very short head tube to take the 26" fork.

In retrospect I'd have put an extra 10mm on the steerer but hey ho... its way easier to take 10mm off than put it back on so ...

mtbr member
    Well Christmas has come and gone and my boy got the ripcord on Christmas morning, boy was he jacked! I didnít get the slik fork graphics in time( not that he cares lol) but they just arrived so him and I will put them on today together. I ended up only using one 10mm spacer as he was a bit high in the front when he sat on it the first time. 140mm cranks were Definetely the right way to go though they just fit him much better. After the chain and pedals were installed the bike comes in at 23.75lbs complete, I was extremely happy with this weight as his spawn savage 20Ē is just under that weight stock with pedals. Hereís a pic of junior Christmas morning!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Now that's one heck of a xmas morning! Congrats on the build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Amazing on the final weight especially for being right around 2k. Now that it's all done up, is there anything you would have done differently or lessons learned? I'm prob building this same build next Christmas, so that has been super great to watch.

(def spot on with the 140mm cranks too...those look great)

mtbr member
    Amazing on the final weight especially for being right around 2k. Now that it's all done up, is there anything you would have done differently or lessons learned? I'm prob building this same build next Christmas, so that has been super great to watch.

(def spot on with the 140mm cranks too...those look great)
    Thanks guys he is so pumped and itís minus 35 here right now so we might have to make a spring trip somewhere west to get him out! First big thing for saving cash was getting the 400 off the frame for last years ripcord! That saved a bundle along with saving the brake price as I just upgraded to magura mt trail carbons and had my old Xtrís I put on his which saved me another couple hundred on xtís for sure. This bike just fits really well out of the box, the frame geo is a lot better for trail riding and his smaller frame I think than the spawn rokosuta. The shorter wheel base combined with the short stack and chain stay length is very well thought out and being able to use a 26 fork and have corrected geo for it is awesome because I get to use a sweet fox factory thatís super light but still real suspension that works. The low headset spacer was spot on by a previous member due to the raised height from the external headset cup. I saved another couple dollars going with brood cycles cranks. At 145cnd with the bottom bracket itís just a huge bargain and the trailcraft wheelset is just a straight up steal for what there priced at with tires. Not really any complaints or wish I hads on this build which is great and the most important part my boy LOVES this bike and will likely ride the crap out of it for the next 3-4 years! Iíll post a couple pics once the fork graphics are installed, the slik graphics in light blue match the frame exactly which he and I are both pumped about!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Safe to say the wheels and the fork deserve credit for the low overall weight? I have to imagine that fork is 1lb lighter than anything spec'd on kids bikes. And those wheels/tires have to be another 1/2lb lighter than most.

Really nice bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    Safe to say the wheels and the fork deserve credit for the low overall weight? I have to imagine that fork is 1lb lighter than anything spec'd on kids bikes. And those wheels/tires have to be another 1/2lb lighter than most.

Really nice bike!
    Has to be a little of everything tho to be dropping a whole 5lbs tho. (stock weight is 28.7 on their complete build).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Has to be a little of everything tho to be dropping a whole 5lbs tho. (stock weight is 28.7 on their complete build).
    That FOX fork is 1490 grams as I recall. The stock fork Transitions specs is 2200 grams I think I saw someone post on Poah's thread.

Killer deal if you got $400 off on that frame and a deal on the fork.

XTR brakes? Lucky kid!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    That FOX fork is 1490 grams as I recall. The stock fork Transitions specs is 2200 grams I think I saw someone post on Poah's thread.

Killer deal if you got $400 off on that frame and a deal on the fork.

XTR brakes? Lucky kid!!!!
    Lol I know kind of rediculous but for what I would have got on Pinkbike it would have been a wash on the xt brakes. The fork was very light canít recall exact measured weight but it was light. And yes the wheels are and Schwalbes make a big big difference in overall weight. The xt driveline with xtr brakes Iím sure help as well it really all ads up in every component Iím sure with grams here and grams there but long climbs will be a whole lot easier this spring for him

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I donít know the transition stock wheels but the Norco dropped about 5lbs just with wheels and tires. Novatec D771/772 32H with Stans and CX Ray with Rocket Ronís.

The fork made about 1lb difference.

Everything else together (bars, saddle, XT etc probably on makes up 1lb but heís running Zee cranks and normal DMR V12 Pedalís and there would be significant weight savings with something less industrial ... the Zee spindle is really heavy (as opposed to Crank arms ) and weight saving over decent square taper and cut down SRAM S600ís is minimal...

mtbr member
    Here are a couple pics of slik graphics installed, colour is almost a direct match!