Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    149

    father son Christmas bike build transition ripcord!

    hey guys thought I would log my boys first bike build with his old man. he asked for a new bike for Christmas as he's outgrown his 20" spawn savage 2.0 so my plan is buying him a frame and all the parts for Christmas and we will build his first full suspension bike together over the holidays! I'm getting him a transition ripcord frame, I looked into the trailcraft Maxwell but the exchange to Canada is just so horrible and my local shop got me a killer deal on a 2017 ripcord frame so went that way. the folks at trailcraft are awesome and are doing great things on the kid front so went with there trailcraft wheels but haven't received them yet waiting on them to come in to trailcraft this week. the bike will be full xt m8000 11spd with all chromag bits and a fox 32 factory up front. hoping to build the little guy his first dream bike for Christmas that he can really shred hard on!! updates as they come..

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    hey guys thought I would log my boys first bike build with his old man. he asked for a new bike for Christmas as he's outgrown his 20" spawn savage 2.0 so my plan is buying him a frame and all the parts for Christmas and we will build his first full suspension bike together over the holidays! I'm getting him a transition ripcord frame, I looked into the trailcraft Maxwell but the exchange to Canada is just so horrible and my local shop got me a killer deal on a 2017 ripcord frame so went that way. the folks at trailcraft are awesome and are doing great things on the kid front so went with there trailcraft wheels but haven't received them yet waiting on them to come in to trailcraft this week. the bike will be full xt m8000 11spd with all chromag bits and a fox 32 factory up front. hoping to build the little guy his first dream bike for Christmas that he can really shred hard on!! updates as they come..
    Sounds cool, take pictures. FWIW I've heard getting the shock revalved for a light rider is a BIG improvement for the Ripcord.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Sounds cool, take pictures. FWIW I've heard getting the shock revalved for a light rider is a BIG improvement for the Ripcord.
    Good to know thanks for the tip! Him and I will build it up and take some pics as the parts arrive and let him try it out first but lucky for us itís snowing here so lots of time to have the suspension worked for a little guy


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    149
    So I havenít received the frame or the wheel set yet but the shop says next week and trailcraft is hoping for next week as well. Parts have started to roll in which Iím pumped about! Fox factory 32 100mm tapered fork, cane creek 40 xs44/ec44 headset, lizard skinz bmx minis,chromag vanguard 680mm handlebar, chromag overture saddle, chromag radar pedals and a whisky carbon seatpost I had . Thatís all for a few more days!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    116
    Where did you purchase the Chromag Vanguard bars from?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    149
    The bars were purchased from spawncycles.com


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    754
    No dropper?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    149
    Nope, he will ride and get use to the new bike and 11spd and size of the 24Ē first then we will put the dropper on.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    149
    Cranks came yesterday, went with
    140mm brood direct mounts with there bottom bracket and a brood 30t chain ring!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Professional Nerd
    Reputation: Danimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    200
    I wonder if Brood knows that their logo looks like PooJOE upside down?

    This will be fun to watch, keep it coming!

    Dan

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    I wonder if Brood knows that their logo looks like PooJOE upside down?

    This will be fun to watch, keep it coming!

    Dan
    Thatís friggin hilarious I never noticed that I bet they havenít either lol! Frame arrived today, looks good and am excited to get into it!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    265
    Is it just me or does it look like you have a tapered fork but a straight head tube? Isn't this going to be a problem? You will need some sort of conversion kit to still be able to use the headset you chose...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Szy_szka View Post
    Is it just me or does it look like you have a tapered fork but a straight head tube? Isn't this going to be a problem? You will need some sort of conversion kit to still be able to use the headset you chose...
    The tapered fork will work with the headset shown. Itís an external lower cup to allow for the bigger bearing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    The tapered fork will work with the headset shown. Itís an external lower cup to allow for the bigger bearing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome! It does not look like you're new to bike building and I figured you got this all under control but I figured I comment just to be on the safe side Good luck with the build! Keep us posted!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    149
    Drivetrain and stem arrived today! Full xt 11spd with chromag 40mm hifi v2 stem.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Workin for the weekend!
    Reputation: -Todd-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,310
    Nice!
    Todd

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    131
    Subíd!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    520
    keep the post coming. great build!

Similar Threads

  1. My son's 24" Transition Ripcord w/Mods!
    By AGarcia in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2017, 01:20 PM
  2. Transition ripcord build
    By POAH in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 09-03-2017, 12:02 AM
  3. Budget Fat Bike Frame for Father / Son Build
    By Es71 in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-31-2016, 03:08 AM
  4. Transition (Ripcord) in South Bay?
    By Stalk in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2016, 10:28 AM
  5. transition ripcord
    By boomforeal in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2015, 12:34 PM

Members who have read this thread: 65

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •