Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Eyewear and gloves for kids?

I have yet to find good protective sunglasses and full fingered gloves for my kids.
    They're using some Walmart gloves right now, but they are wearing out quickly.
    I want some polarized glasses that block some sun, but yet they can still see when they are in and out of the woods. Also want shatterproof lenses for eye protection from tree branches, rocks, etc.
    I've found some womens extra small gloves for my 9 year old, but none small enough for my 6 year old.
    I really can't find decent glasses for either one...

turtles make me hot
    Julbo USA: Kids sunglasses and eye protection for children
    My son has the Julbo Parks. Great glasses. He has Fox Dirtpaw full finger gloves. Been riding with them for two years so far. He's going to outgrow them before they wear out.
    I like turtles

sheep in FOX clothing
    Fox kids XS gloves (which might be marketed as a motocross glove) almost fit my 5-year old, the fingers are just a bit long.

Wēk Ss
    I just bought glasses from the drug store, any polarized+UVA/UVB glasses work.

Gloves, I use 661.

Sweep the leg!
    BMX gloves come in kids sizes. Shades are tough, it depends on how wide their noggins are. I wouldn't expect a kid to have high-end Oakleys or Ray-Bans. UV and trail debris protection are a must.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    My son has the Julbo Parks. Great glasses. He has Fox Dirtpaw full finger gloves. Been riding with them for two years so far. He's going to outgrow them before they wear out.
    Are these good about not fogging up?
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerCycling View Post
    Are these good about not fogging up?

He never complains about it. I treat all of our glasses with C Clear. Helps with mine.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    He never complains about it. I treat all of our glasses with C Clear. Helps with mine.
    Great, thanks!
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

N/A
    Feb 2004
    +1 on Julbo and another +1 on the Fox gloves.

My kid won't leave the house without his Julbo's and won't get on his bike without his gloves. (With the velcro closed - big problem when the velcro comes open. )

Local moto shops have the full line of Fox gloves so you can try them on and make sure you get the right size. They're the same gloves as the MTB versions, just cheaper and in stock.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkaz View Post
    +1 on Julbo and another +1 on the Fox gloves.

My kid won't leave the house without his Julbo's and won't get on his bike without his gloves. (With the velcro closed - big problem when the velcro comes open. )

Local moto shops have the full line of Fox gloves so you can try them on and make sure you get the right size. They're the same gloves as the MTB versions, just cheaper and in stock.
    Hahaha!! Our kids may be related.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2011
    As others mentioned, FOX Dirtpaws. We got a few pair at the local Yamaha dealer. My son who wears holes in every pair of pants he owns has not worn these gloves out yet.

MTBR member-at-large
    Checkout sierratradingpost.com for kids sunglasses, or if you can get to an REI they have a descent selection of kids sunglasses. Also, hucknroll.com for kids gloves and other kids mtn bike clothes.
    Better at pedaling than typing

mtbr member
    I think you just need to check out different LBS's and have your kids try the gloves on. We tried some Bontrager gloves at the local Trek store for my 10 yr old that fit her great so that's what she is using now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    +1 on the Julbo. Most of their lenses have a hydrophobic treatment. And all Julbo sunglasses block 100% UV.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

clear lens?

+1 on the bmx gloves.

I can't find kid sized frames with clear lens for mt biking. My boys are 7 and 9 and like night ride. I really want them wearing glasses. Any ideas?

Thanks for the julba link. I've been to Rei and the kid glasses they have slide off their noses or don't work well with helmets.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson View Post
    +1 on the bmx gloves.

I can't find kid sized frames with clear lens for mt biking. My boys are 7 and 9 and like night ride. I really want them wearing glasses. Any ideas?

Thanks for the julba link. I've been to Rei and the kid glasses they have slide off their noses or don't work well with helmets.
    RecSpecs are eyewear designed for rugged sport use (such as basketball, racquetball, etc.) where eye injuries are common. The frames are heavy duty, come with clear polycarbonate lenses, and can accept prescription lenses. RecSpecs makes frames in all sizes from kids to adults, and you should be able to find a local optometrist or optical shop with a good selection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson View Post
    +1 on the bmx gloves.

My 9 year old might have a big head but the 4 for $20 safety from home depot work for him,

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Any moto shop has kids motocross gloves, which work fine for mt biking. My 8-year-old daughter wears Fox Pawtectors, but any of the brands will work fine. Check rockymountainmc.com. For glasses, we found her a small-framed pair of sunglasses at a sporting goods store that seem to be working well.

Birdman aka JMJ
    I found some kids Fox gloves a while back. Forget the model but they had extra vinyl protection pieces stitched over the backs. I bought 2 pairs, and then took a seam-ripper and removed the extra vinyl bits off of one pair for a cool XC look & feel. My 4YO loves 'em.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Specialized Enduro kids are tiny!

My daughter has been wearing her Specialized kids Enduro gloves since she was 3. Now that she is 4.5 they are starting to get tight. They are a great glove, including the palm pad wich the Dirtpaws don't have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    We have Julbos and LOVE them. We have the Bubble and the Diego. Will get more when these are shot, but care has been driven into the kids from day one, so they're holding up really well for the 7 yr old and pretty well for the 3 yr old.

The kids have a bunch of gloves. For thin, long hands, I prefer the Oneal and Answer MX gloves. Fly Racing gloves are also pretty "narrow." Fox gloves are very squarely designed, so are better for wider hands. If you want fingerless gloves, We LOVE the kids Aero Tech gloves. We use them for road bike/tri-training and for the hottest days of MTB and BMX.

On ALL of these brands, the sizing is really weird. My avg. 3 year old wears a 1 in Answers. My tall 7 yr old wears a 4/5 in Fly and a 2 in AeroTech. So, buy carefully.

Child Cycling Apparel, Childrens Bike Shorts, Youth biking apparel, Youth Bicycle lothing for sale

I'm interested to find some RecSpecs, as they could use some clear lenses for a lot of night racing activities. Thanks for the lead!
    7 yo BMXer/MTBer -modded 20" GT Stomper.
    2 yo BMXer -Haro Micro and custom 3spd Specialized.
    '97 Gary Fisher Aquila.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just found this site with lots of other kids' gloves, including Pearl Izumi and Specialized.
    Gloves - Plano Cycling
    7 yo BMXer/MTBer -modded 20" GT Stomper.
    2 yo BMXer -Haro Micro and custom 3spd Specialized.
    '97 Gary Fisher Aquila.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My son uses Oakley 5's youth and Fox motocross gloves.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    Yes, you are right, in fact best protective sunglasses are only from Oakley brand, they are even sporty product.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    +1

I started off giving our son a pair of my old Oakleys. My thought was Oakleys was rouged and should be able to hold up to ram bunches boy...and if he lost them, no big deal since they was beat. Anyhow, we ended up buying him some proper youth sizes and haven't looked back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast