mtbr member

DIY Paint Job Advice

I am planning to repaint my kids bikes. Any advice, tips, or tricks to come out with a decent looking paint job? Is there a particular paint that has worked well or not well?

What is the best way to strip the old paint?

turtles make me hot
    I've stripped an alloy frame with Rock Miracle and Scotchbrite. Worked perfectly.

I've done a steel frame in a glass beading cabinet. Also worked perfectly.

Rustoleum Hard Hat is awesome spray paint.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I used air craft stripper on my sons bike. It came off very easily with plastic putty knife. We didn't pain the bike though, just did brushed aluminum finish.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If the paint on it is good, there's no reason to strip it completely.
    Sand it smooth, wipe it down with alcohol, and spray it with any high quality spray paint.
    I've also used Bulldog Adhesion Promoter, and it helps make the paint stick to aluminum better.
    I'm going to paint my daughters bike soon, and will be stripping it, just because the original paint is so beat up. I'll be spraying the bare frame with and etching primer, then the bulldog, then a black base and a color-changing top coat, yet to be determined.

mtbr member
    If you are going for a full sand-off, start with something in the order of 80-120grit sandpaper and finish with 220 or 400 grit to ensure a smooth scratch free surface. If you are opting for a scuff and paint(which is often advisable if not using a laquer base) use no coarser than 220 and finish with 400 or 600 because it will 'fuzz' a lot easier. A red scotch brite, not the run of the mill dish kind is ideal to prep just prior to spraying.

An etch primer would be the best for bare metal, otherwise an autobody grade sandable primer would be the next choice. It will allow you to smooth out any blems that you did not see and seal everything down. Dress it with a light pass of scotch brite and coat with your desired topping.

Appliance epoxy is my favorite of the spray can paints if you can find something within the available colors. Slower to dry but fairly durable. Plasitkote automotive series (engine included) are very user friendly. Automotive urethane would be the most durable, but has it's professional requirements as it is also more dangerous to use and more expensive to buy.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I used 220 and then 400 to scuff up the stock frame paint. Then I primed with an automotive primer filler to get a smooth finish. Wet sand with 600 grit and spray with color then clear. I like the DuPont automotive touch up paint cans, but colors are kind of limited if they want something bright. Make sure to clean with a good paint prep/ solvent remover and a lint free rag between each step.