mtbr member
    Jul 2007

disc compatible wheels / hubs

Hey guys,

My son has waaaaay outgrown the 12" wheel'd bike he's on now, and I'm planning on getting him a Specialized Hotrock 20:

Specialized Bicycle Components

I have some 3 year old Elixr's laying around after I just upgraded the brakes on my bike, and I was planning on putting them on his new bike since it has disc tab brakes. To do this I'm going to need disc compatible hubs though, and with the 20" wheels I have no idea where to start. I'm sure the wheels on there stock are heavy, so I'd love to upgrade to lighter wheels if it's cost effective, or I could just rebuild the existing wheels with the new hubs. Suggestions?

Havok
    I am building a set for my son's 20". I've searched and there are little to no options for disc wheels. Most people on here have been building them with a set of disc hubs. We'd def like to see the photos of your project.

mtbr member
    Wheelbuilding is definately a skill worth aquiring, and opens up a whole world of options. It's not that hard, it just takes a little patience. I've built several wheels..and some of them are even round.

You might be able to salvage the rim/spokes from the stock wheel, if the hub flanges are about the same size.

I thought about swapping the front hub on my kid's 24" and installing a used BB5. However, I don't think he really uses the front brake to it's full potential. For his bike, the effort would be mostly to increase overall bike cool-factor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks guys - I'm open to building wheels, any idea on what hubs to start with? It looks like the stock wheels are 32 spoke, so would any 32 spoke hub work?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Follow on question - It looks like I can make any 32 spoke disc front hub work (found an old 15mm XT for $20, but the rear is confusing the hell out of me! What should I be looking for, 135mm? Is it something else? What about the freehub body? The hotrock is a 6 speed freewheel, not a cassette, so I'm not sure if I need something special there? Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by huckgnar View Post
    Follow on question - It looks like I can make any 32 spoke disc front hub work (found an old 15mm XT for $20, but the rear is confusing the hell out of me! What should I be looking for, 135mm? Is it something else? What about the freehub body? The hotrock is a 6 speed freewheel, not a cassette, so I'm not sure if I need something special there? Thanks guys.
    Measure the dropout width of your frame, many kids bikes are <135mm so standard 135mm MTB hubs may not fit. A decent quality threaded freewheel hub with a disk attachment is going to be very hard to find, you likely will need to switch the drivetrain to cassette cogs and hub but staying at 6-speed with a casette will be tricky too so likely will need to upgrade shifters and chain to either 7/8/9/10 speed.

If the existing rims are a reasonably lightweight extrusion, just re-use them, doubtfull that you can find any super lightweight 20" rims, go to 24 or 16 spokes (on 32 spoke hubs/rims) to save weight instead.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I believe the Hotrock 20 with gears is indeed 135mm. We measured it at my LBS though we didn't take the wheel out and get into the dropouts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If your looking at going with a regular cassette/135mm the Circus Monkey HDW3 hubs are very light & cheap. They come 28 or 32 spoke hole in all kinds of colors. They also come with Ultra light Ti skewers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails disc compatible wheels / hubs-img_4814_1.jpg  

disc compatible wheels / hubs-img_4813_1.jpg  

disc compatible wheels / hubs-img_4815_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    +1 on the Circus Monkey hubs. Best value bang-for-buck lightweight hubs around. Questionable freehub life for adult mashers but for kids the hubs have been performing great.