mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Decision time.... 8 year old is outgrowing her 20" Hotrock.

Seatpost is ll the way up, and her knees are coming up into her chest when she rides.
    I have a Trek MT220 24" basketcase I was originally going to swap parts over to when she got big enough.
    I discovered that not only was it missing the front V-brakes, but someone cut the mounting posts off the fork. Majr deal breaker there.
    So, first thing it needs is a new fork, or somehow press in and weld in new posts. As we all know, there are no reasonably priced good 24" forks out there.
    Maybe an excuse to go to a disk fork and disk brakes?
    I do have some fab skills, so maybe could cut the posts completely off, and weld on a disk brake tab... Still a junky heavy springy fork though.
    The gripshifts are also trashed, but they probably would get upgraded anyway.
    I let her size it up yesterday, and the seat is almost as low as it will go.
    She rode it around like that and actually looked pretty good on it.
    Kinda like a small woman on a 29er, but not stupidly too small for it.
    Debating on whether it's worth putting money into this thing, or just going straight to a XS 26" bike.
    I might strip it down and weigh the frame, out of curiosity.
    The bad thing about this bike, is it's got 1" steerer, a freewheel, and stamped one-piece crankset, which makes parts bin robbing harder.
    At least her little Hotrock had a 1-1/8" steerer, so bars and stems were easy to swap over.
    Looking at a Trek 3700 13" frame 26er locally that may fit the bill for a basis for a 26" build.
    I think the 13" frame would be too big for her though.
    Might get the 24" rideable and just deal with it for a year until she's big enough for the 26"...
    Actually, I might get rid of the This Trek and find one with more easily upgradeable parts.
    Sorry for rambling...
    My kid has gone thru a growth spurt over the winter, and I'm kinda rushed trying to get her something that fits her better.
    A little overwhelming.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a spinner 24" fork from an old Marin mt bike. Happy to send if you will cover postage.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Btw, no good parts for 24" bikes. Accept that and you will be happier
    If you are burning to invest, get new trigger shifters to replace grip ones and replace the front derailleur - on 24" bikes a bent coat anger usually is better than stock...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I recently finished building up a MT220 into a 20.5 pound bike for my daughter, I was very pleased with the frame itself. Trek MT220 24" mod build
    I am not sure of the year of mine but it had a 1-1/8 fork and a threaded bottom bracket so might be a bit newer, frame alone weighted 1420gr.

I dont think that the cast aluminum lowers can be easily welded, the alloys used for casting are different from those that are weldable. I would start fresh with a different fork,

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The gripshifts are also trashed, but they probably would get upgraded anyway.
    I also have spare 3x7 triggers. Not beautiful, but work perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Btw, no good parts for 24" bikes. Accept that and you will be happier
    This really only applies if you're a weight weenie.
    I've got a couple 24" bikes built for my son that have good wheels and decently functioning forks. Not gonna win any gram-counting contests, but that's not an aspect of biking that I've ever been able to bring myself to give a damn about.

Decision time.... 8 year old is outgrowing her 20" Hotrock.-dscn0330.jpg
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

turtles make me hot
    I built my son a 24" bike with a 26er fork and disc brakes. We're building him a 26" bike now and guess what? The fork, brakes, shifters, derailleur, cassette, seat and pedals are all going onto it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Btw, no good parts for 24" bikes....
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    This really only applies if you're a weight weenie...
    Not even then. Sub 10kg:

There are now many threads in this forum on quality 24" kids bikes. Like NYrr496 says, use quality components and transfer to the next size bike when they outgrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That thing's sweet!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Not even then. Sub 10kg:

There are now many threads in this forum on quality 24" kids bikes. Like NYrr496 says, use quality components and transfer to the next size bike when they outgrow.
    Great little 24" Tig. Amazing the difference a quality fork/shock with adjustable rebound damping make through the rocks & roots for the little Guys/Girls.