mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Daughter's First Mt Bike!!

Daughter's First Mt Bike!!-ad-bike.jpg

Yesterday, wife and I (under a bit of my prodding) said forget waiting for birthday in September (too many rides would be missed between then and now), and got my daughter, who will be turning 8, a new Myka XS (13" frame) with 26" wheels.

I had gone with the 24" Hot Rock for my son when he was turning 8, and though this time the full-size wheels and XS adult bike was the way to go.

First of all, my daughter has been a little tall for her age, but not a lot. She is a tough little thing, and VERY strong for her age (has to keep up with her big brother).

Anyway, I ordered the bike through the LBS and figured I would let her ride it, and ride a 24" kid bike, and see what stood out. She had never used hand brakes, and was going from a little kid bike she had outgrown about 6 months ago. A little tough getting on the new bike at first, but she just started cranking. The bike looked HUGE at first. But she was not the slightest bit intimidated. There was never a doubt, the bike was going to come home with us.

This morning, before I even knew she was up, she was out riding, with helmet gloves and long pants (as the LBS guy suggested). She already has the thing nailed. "Dad, this is the best bike ever!". This dad was SOOOO stoked! So, if you see a super cute little girl on a blue Myka on Bend trails, say "Hi Addie".

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    awesome job dad

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That look great; enjoy your rides!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GauchoGreg View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ad-Bike.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	819124

Yesterday, wife and I (under a bit of my prodding) said forget waiting for birthday in September (too many rides would be missed between then and now), and got my daughter, who will be turning 8, a new Myka XS (13" frame) with 26" wheels.

I had gone with the 24" Hot Rock for my son when he was turning 8, and though this time the full-size wheels and XS adult bike was the way to go.

First of all, my daughter has been a little tall for her age, but not a lot. She is a tough little thing, and VERY strong for her age (has to keep up with her big brother).

Anyway, I ordered the bike through the LBS and figured I would let her ride it, and ride a 24" kid bike, and see what stood out. She had never used hand brakes, and was going from a little kid bike she had outgrown about 6 months ago. A little tough getting on the new bike at first, but she just started cranking. The bike looked HUGE at first. But she was not the slightest bit intimidated. There was never a doubt, the bike was going to come home with us.

This morning, before I even knew she was up, she was out riding, with helmet gloves and long pants (as the LBS guy suggested). She already has the thing nailed. "Dad, this is the best bike ever!". This dad was SOOOO stoked! So, if you see a super cute little girl on a blue Myka on Bend trails, say "Hi Addie".
    Glad it's working out for her. Looks like it works fine on paved trails, but I doubt she'd be able to control it well in the air or on single track.

This is why I parrot on every thread about XS 26 for kids that it really depends on the riding they do.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Glad it's working out for her. Looks like it works fine on paved trails, but I doubt she'd be able to control it well in the air or on single track.

This is why I parrot on every thread about XS 26 for kids that it really depends on the riding they do.
    She did great this past weekend on on the trail. Bike size was not an issue on tight single-track areas, winding through narrow tree gaps and rock gardens. Had a blast. Was able to go up stuff I was definitely not expecting her to be able to get through. Her first time using hand brakes, and the first steep hill had me a little concerned, but she was fine. (by the way, I hate kick stands and reflectors, but I can't seem to get the damned things off my kids' bikes). I'm not sure how much she is going to be going airborne any time soon. I will watch that as it progresses. I kinda think she most likes fast/flowy more . . . . more her style.

Daughter's First Mt Bike!!-addie-phils-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    By the way, on the subject of airborne, I think the weight of the bike is a much bigger factor than the size of it as far as how easy it is for the younger kids to manage the bike in the air. I do need to start putting this bike on a diet, and there are plenty of places to do it. But the bike doesn't really weigh more than a 24" bike of similar quality.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GauchoGreg View Post
    She did great this past weekend on on the trail. Bike size was not an issue on tight single-track areas, winding through narrow tree gaps and rock gardens. Had a blast. Was able to go up stuff I was definitely not expecting her to be able to get through. Her first time using hand brakes, and the first steep hill had me a little concerned, but she was fine. (by the way, I hate kick stands and reflectors, but I can't seem to get the damned things off my kids' bikes). I'm not sure how much she is going to be going airborne any time soon. I will watch that as it progresses. I kinda think she most likes fast/flowy more . . . . more her style.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Addie at Phils-1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	279.5 KB 
ID:	820511
    Please don't take what I said as a slam. Like I said it all depends on the child and the type of riding.
    I've watch too many mountain biking videos with my son. His, already had me build a seesaw for him and he wants me to build some skinnies for him to try and ride. He's been jumping one of those black skate board ramps since his 20 inch bike.

While my son isn't at M-dub son's level, this is a good example of what I'm referring to when I say it depends on the riding.
    RBM slayer 24" built to shred
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Please don't take what I said as a slam. Like I said it all depends on the child and the type of riding.
    I've watch too many mountain biking videos with my son. His, already had me build a seesaw for him and he wants me to build some skinnies for him to try and ride. He's been jumping one of those black skate board ramps since his 20 inch bike.

While my son isn't at M-dub son's level, this is a good example of what I'm referring to when I say it depends on the riding.
    RBM slayer 24" built to shred
    No sweat. I understand your concern. One nice thing is that if my daughter starts showing an interest in doing that kind of stuff, she will have access to my son's 24" Hotrock by that time, as he will likely be moving up to a 26" bike. It is kinda funny having my daughter on a bigger bike than my son, but they are very close to the same size: 24" Hotrock (12.5" frame) for my son, 26" Myka (13" frame) for my daughter. I had to laugh, she got on my son's bike after riding her own and said how big his felt (obviously, just because the seat was higher). But the riding position for my daughter on the Myka is really comfortable for her. She has enough other stuff going on as far as interests (ballet, art, lacrosse, etc.) that I'm just not thinking the more technical riding will be her thing, although she loves trail riding with the family, and this bike will help her keep up. My son, on the other hand, might want to get into the more technical stuff, and he is really fitting his Hotrock well right now for experimenting on the fun stuff.