Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build

My son and I are going to build this up over the winter for him. I have alot of parts laying around, so shouldn't end up to pricey in the end. We are hoping for under 20 LBS. geared, suspension fork, big tires & a wide riser bar. Claimed weight was 1150 grams ( no size specified - probably a medium ) so I was really happy when it ended up 1030 grams with the derailleur hanger. More pics to come of some of parts I already have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4359_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4358_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4357_1.jpg  

Last edited by xc71; 08-31-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Wēk Ss
    nice!

PRETENDURO
    Looks pretty sleek. Cannot wait to see build photos!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

turtles make me hot
    Sweet. Have fun building.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks guys.
    Rock Shox Sid Race = 1340 grams.
    Uno oversize 70mm stem with Ti bolts = 83.8 grams. No I'm not buying him Ti bolts for this build, but I have an assortment of Ti,Aluminium,Nylon bolts left over from 4 frame up builds in the last few years.
    Wellgo WR1 pedals with Ti axles = 167.7 grams. These came off his Spark RC jr. as he switched to clip-ins 2 years ago. I still have to add skateboard grip tape to these for more traction.
    Ritchey carbon Superlogic OS 660 mm wide, 15mm riser = 160 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-310.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_2491_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_3788_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-311.jpg  

mtbr member
    What's the actual size of the frame, I'm looking to do something similar for my daughter. Need a low stand over

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by md247 View Post
    What's the actual size of the frame, I'm looking to do something similar for my daughter. Need a low stand over
    I measure 14 3/4" from the center of the BB to the top of the seattube. From center BB to the top of the toptube at the seatube junction its 13"

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Excellent xc71. I've been wondering about one of these Chinese carbon frames for a kids bike build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Excellent xc71. I've been wondering about one of these Chinese carbon frames for a kids bike build.
    Thanks Tig. Just a heads up if you are really set on a certain look & finish on one of these. Most of these factory's offer UD,3K,12K in matte or gloss. In researching these frames I found what look & finish people were ordering was not what was being sent to them. Sure enough we got a different frame from what we ordered. Here's how are's went down - I PM the seller asking if they had a XS 3k weave in matte finish in stock, they replied back that they did. The website offers all looks & finishs at the same price, I order the 3k matte and also put a note in that we want the 3k matte. Frame shows up very fast - 5 days later on my door step but its 3k gloss. I PM the seller that its the wrong frame with there quotes that they had the frame in stock as well as a copy of my order clearly stating the 3k matte. Their reply was that I didn't write I wanted matte (which was obviously false ) and I didn't include an extra $10.00 for matte finish. This is obviously a scam were they tell you what you want to hear, then just ship you what they have in stock.They said I could return the frame if I wanted. In the end I don't care about the matte or gloss I'm just thrilled its 1030 grams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    ... I'm just thrilled its 1030 grams.
    Yep, 1030g with the hanger is sweet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hopefully this will be the worst part of this build - boat anchor cranks & BB. Have these sitting in the parts box & they've never been used as they came on his Scott Spark RC. Would love to remove the Middleburn cranks & Raceface Ti BB from his Spark for this build as it would probably save close to one pound, but he will be riding his Spark for big mountain XC rides next year. At least these cranks are 165mm & have 104/64 BCD so he's getting a used Extralite 32 chainring off my bike ( the one pictured is my new one, his is still on my bike ) & I have a BBG bashguard that will fit, both of these are really light & I'm mounting them with some older XTR aluminium chainring bolts.
    I'm leaning towards 1 x 10 for this build, but having a hard time finding affordable lightweight 11/36 cassettes that don't weigh a ton. Does anyone know a source for affordable aluminium 11/36 cassttes, the few I've found online are double the price of what they were two years ago.
    FSA ISIS BB = 352.5 grams
    FSA Alpha Drive cranks = 539.4 grams
    Extralite 32 chainring = 29.4 grams
    BBG Ovalhole bashguard = 44.6 grams
    Cranks, chainring, BBG & XTR bolts = 623.8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4377_1_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4382_1_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4381_1_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4380_1_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4378_1_1.jpg  

turtles make me hot
    Chain Reaction Cycles has XTR 11-36 for 178 dollars. Not cheap, but cheaper than everyone else. Picked one up for my wife's build. 100 grams lighter than XT.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks NY, great price for an XTR 11/36.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Chain Reaction Cycles has XTR 11-36 for 178 dollars. Not cheap, but cheaper than everyone else. Picked one up for my wife's build. 100 grams lighter than XT.
    They also have 165 Xt cranks for 175 with the cupon code. Could save a few hundred grams there too.
    Enjoy every ride!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by m-dub View Post
    They also have 165 Xt cranks for 175 with the cupon code. Could save a few hundred grams there too.
    Two weeks ago, I ordered a whole bunch of parts from them and got free shipping on my order over 99 dollars and an additional 10 percent off for typing in some goofy code.
    They're my new favorite parts house.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by m-dub View Post
    Would 165mm XT cranks be too long for a 8 year old on a Scott 24" scale?

Thanks!

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Would 165mm XT cranks be too long for a 8 year old on a Scott 24" scale?

Thanks!
    Generally, yes, unless your 8yo is about 5 feet tall and the 24" is too small for him. A 24 inch bike usually comes with 152mm cranks, which is probably a bit too big already.

mtbr member
    Thanks Tig. Just a heads up if you are really set on a certain look & finish on one of these. Most of these factory's offer UD,3K,12K in matte or gloss. In researching these frames I found what look & finish people were ordering was not what was being sent to them. Sure enough we got a different frame from what we ordered. Here's how are's went down - I PM the seller asking if they had a XS 3k weave in matte finish in stock, they replied back that they did. The website offers all looks & finishs at the same price, I order the 3k matte and also put a note in that we want the 3k matte. Frame shows up very fast - 5 days later on my door step but its 3k gloss. I PM the seller that its the wrong frame with there quotes that they had the frame in stock as well as a copy of my order clearly stating the 3k matte. Their reply was that I didn't write I wanted matte (which was obviously false ) and I didn't include an extra $10.00 for matte finish. This is obviously a scam were they tell you what you want to hear, then just ship you what they have in stock.They said I could return the frame if I wanted. In the end I don't care about the matte or gloss I'm just thrilled its 1030 grams.
    5 Days later? Wow, that is fast. You ordered from the chinese on E-bay, right?
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member

Thanks for taking the time to post. Very interested to see how your project turns out. Have fun!
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post

Thanks for taking the time to post. Very interested to see how your project turns out. Have fun!
    Thanks. Ya I was shocked it was on my door step 5 days after I ordered it. If you seach "chinese carbon frames for sale" you'll get a ton of them come up. This one was through Alibaba.
    When questioning them on the style of headset this frame took, they offered me a headset for $10.00 & I bought it. Also got a spare derailleur hanger for $5.00.
    The headset comes with a star nut, top cap & steel bolt. Those items have been removed from the pic & replaced with a CC top cap & Aluminium bolt. Star nut is already in the Sid Race.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4376_1_1.jpg  

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post

Shipping is hit or miss. I've ordered some things from Asia before, and some are extremely fast, and some take a while. Some of these shops have US side "distributors" (or some guy running it out of his house/apartment).

When I ordered my carbon wheels, it took a while to make the wheel (custom order), but once built, it shipped really fast too.

Wēk Ss
    they offered me a headset for $10.00 & I bought it. Also got a spare derailleur hanger for $5.00.
    Are those bearing cartridges or cage style?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Are those bearing cartridges or cage style?
    The bearings are cartridge style. Although not CC or CK quality, it seems decent for 10 bucks, we"ll see how long it lasts.
    CRC had XTR M980 11/36 10 speed cassettes on for $169.93 CAD. Also got him a SLX rear shifter and few other items to make sure my total was $250.00. With their X-Mas voucher codes I then got $50.00 off my order - so the XTR cassette cost me $135.00 CAD amazing good deal! I had been watching CRC for Medium cage XT clutch rear derailleurs to come back in stock but misted the XTR cassette price so thanks again NY.

Wēk Ss
    The bearings are cartridge style. Although not CC or CK quality, it seems decent for 10 bucks, we"ll see how long it lasts.
    CRC had XTR M980 11/36 10 speed cassettes on for $169.93 CAD. Also got him a SLX rear shifter and few other items to make sure my total was $250.00. With their X-Mas voucher codes I then got $50.00 off my order - so the XTR cassette cost me $135.00 CAD amazing good deal! I had been watching CRC for Medium cage XT clutch rear derailleurs to come back in stock but misted the XTR cassette price so thanks again NY.
    Thanks for the info. I take it, it's a standard ZS44 standard? It doesn't look like IS?

This bike is going to be pimped out. I'm looking to do the same in a year or two.

Wēk Ss
    Thanks for the info. I take it, it's a standard ZS44 standard? It doesn't look like IS?

This bike is going to be pimped out. I'm looking to do the same in a year or two.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast