Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    XC71 - Can you repost the pics using IMG[] files, i.e. photobucket or some other online picture. Or just repost/attach the pics. The MTBR server went down and lost a lot of the attached images. Thanks,

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Photo's fixed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by leugene View Post
    Great thread! Probably got some photos in action?
    A few pics from Fernie BC, bike park.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-037.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-038.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-039.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-040.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-041.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-042.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-044.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-045.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-047.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Awesome. Great skills for a little guy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    xc71, is the frame the 15" frame from that site? I'm looking to do a similar build for my daughter as well.

thanks
    John

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by john224 View Post
    xc71, is the frame the 15" frame from that site? I'm looking to do a similar build for my daughter as well.

thanks
    John
    Yes, looks like all the standards are the same as my son's frame with the exception of the headtube has changed on the 15" to a tapered = 1 1/8 - 1 1/2".

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by john224 View Post

thanks
    John
    Not sure if you got a frame John. I'm helping a friend build one for his son. The new version FR201 XS with the tapered headtube is still a great starting weight.
    He also scored a brand new Rockshox SID world Cup carbon 100mm tapered steer tube for $400.00. weight is with the remote lockout which he is going to remove and an uncut steertube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-008.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-017.jpg  

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Got a set of the new Circus Monkey HDW3 hubs. Will only be using the rear as I'm using the A2Z XCF 15 hub mentioned above. The CM rear came in at 223.3 grams so between the two hubs should help make for a light wheelset. The CM hubs came with QR's and just expected them to be heavy steel QR's. I was shocked when I dropped them on the scale and they weighed 45.9 grams for the pair. A magnet test confirmed they were Ti.
    For the money really happy with the hubs/QR's.
    Wondering which vendor you used for the Circus Monkey hubs... going to get a pair of the HDW2 and would love if they came with the quick releases.

(though maybe it was a mistake that they were included)!

thanks,
    Todd

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Todd, I got the hubs from ebay seller funkyhorse99. They advertise the HDW3 coming with the skewers and I know of a few other buyers that also received the lightweight Ti skewers with their HDW3's. These lightweight hubs/skewers were a bargain - really happy with them so far.
    I believe the seller works for CM, I would message them if they don't have what your looking for listed.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Me want.

What is the smallest frame of this kind anybody found?

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Me want.

What is the smallest frame of this kind anybody found?
    15"/16". I was looking for a 13" but nobody makes them.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    15"/16". I was looking for a 13" but nobody makes them.
    I found this on Alibaba: Free Shipping!!mtb Frame 26er Mtb Frame Cube 26er Mtb Frame - Buy Mtb Frame,26er Mtb Frame,Cube 26er Mtb Frame Product on Alibaba.com and a couple similar ones listed in 14", 536mm top tube, which maybe even a little short, I think it is about the same as her current Scott Spark Jr 24.

Need to find one without fake logos, with BSA BB, and double check everything. Sent them a request.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just a fyi, you can buy these frames off Amazon too. Prices are the same and shipping is a bit cheaper. If anything happens you've got Amazon covering your back.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build

Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Just a fyi, you can buy these frames off Amazon too. Prices are the same and shipping is a bit cheaper. If anything happens you've got Amazon covering your back.
    Did not find any 14" ones on Amazon.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build

Received a quote for $420 delivered. Without the fake graphics, obviously. Contemplating. Another option is to do 14" On One 456 Evo, with 100mm fork, but that is like three extra pounds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Axe, did you go any further with that frame ^^^.
    I'm stuck between buying a ridiculously heavy and under specced 24" or building a really good XS 26" for my daughter. That is the smallest one i've seen yet which is good.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi all, I brought the CUBE 14" carbon frame 26er. It has a tapered headtube, but I'm not sure which cane creek headset would fit. I believe the frame headtube is expecting integrated headset. The cheap headset I brought from the frame builder is just a bearing that go into the headtube. I'm looking to upgrade to a nicer one.

XC71, what headset you use for the tapered headtube on your friend son's frame?

thanks!!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dcp_nz View Post
    Axe, did you go any further with that frame ^^^.
    I'm stuck between buying a ridiculously heavy and under specced 24" or building a really good XS 26" for my daughter. That is the smallest one i've seen yet which is good.
    Not yet, will order in July.

I have a nice build kit, from my old bike, but for cranks. Debating getting 150mm or 153mm with 28t ring, or 160mm flatland BMX crank (they are much lighter) with 26 front. Rear will be 11-40, with 16t inserted, and Zee derailleur. 160mm maybe a tad too long.

I do have a 24" full suspension, with a lot of upgrades. She could probably ride it for another year or two... but since I have a kit anyway, and she is tall enough.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudstrifez View Post
    Hi all, I brought the CUBE 14" carbon frame 26er. It has a tapered headtube, but I'm not sure which cane creek headset would fit. I believe the frame headtube is expecting integrated headset. The cheap headset I brought from the frame builder is just a bearing that go into the headtube. I'm looking to upgrade to a nicer one.

XC71, what headset you use for the tapered headtube on your friend son's frame?

thanks!!
    He bought the headset from the frame seller, I had also bought the headset the frame seller was offering. Nothing wrong with them, they have both worked great, just remember to grease the bearing surface as it may creak otherwise.
    I have the Cane Creek 110 Integrated headset on my bike and I don't see the need to spend 10 times the cost for the Cane Creek headset for a kids bike. Sure its better, but these Integrated headsets are just a crown race, two bearings, split pre-load ring and a top cap.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    He bought the headset from the frame seller, I had also bought the headset the frame seller was offering. Nothing wrong with them, they have both worked great, just remember to grease the bearing surface as it may creak otherwise.
    I have the Cane Creek 110 Integrated headset on my bike and I don't see the need to spend 10 times the cost for the Cane Creek headset for a kids bike. Sure its better, but these Integrated headsets are just a crown race, two bearings, split pre-load ring and a top cap.

Thanks for the help XC71! Actually I building this bike for myself as I could no longer find any good 26er bikes anymore. It seems like everyone is abandoning the 26er for 29er and 27.5er. I'm short so I like 26er. You just convinced me not to spend anymore on a headset. I'm way over my build budget anyway and still in need of an XT groupset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    cloudstrifez,
    how does the "cube" frame look quality wise? any concerns with quality or vendor?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dcp_nz View Post
    cloudstrifez,
    how does the "cube" frame look quality wise? any concerns with quality or vendor?
    I brought cube frame size 14 on AliExpress for $420. I choose the UD matte finish so it looks very stealthy. This is my first carbon frame so I have no reference to compare to, but visually the frame looks well built enough. It also has internal cabling for shifters. Sure, there're other frames for $320, but those have external cabling and available in 3K Glossy finish only. Overall, it good enough. I know more when I actually test ride it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    A2Z XCF-15 front hub showed up today. Its convertible from 15mm thru axle to 9mm QR. In the 15mm TA config. its 108.5 grams! QR its 115 grams. You can mount a 6 bolt rotor two different ways with this hub. 1) Use the standard 6 bolts.And these aren't included with the hub. 2) Install the 6 locktite coated set screws into the hub, place the rotor over them then thread the cassette style lockring into the hub which tightens against the rotor. You can see the lockring leaning against the bottom of the scale. Suprisingly this set up was lighter than 6 steel bolts. The lockring & set screws are 12.5 grams. 6 steel rotor bolts are 14 grams. To go full on weightweenie you could get the set screws in Ti or go with 3 Ti bolts & 3 aluminium bolts. I may splurge for 6 aluminium bolts & run 3 steel & 3 alum. in the front & rear hubs.
    I'm thrilled with the weight on this hub as I looked high & low for a 15mm TA and/or 15 TA/9QR convertible hub & found nothing unless you wanted to spend big bucks. I couldn't find any convertible, light, cheap hubs, and the lightest 15mm TA hub I found was 162 grams.
    I'm guessing this hub is a brand new style for A2Z as they don't even list it on their website. In all my searching I only came across two of these, both from the same seller.
    Edit: forgot to mention the reason I wanted a convertible hub for this build is my son will start with the Sid Race 80mm travel, 9mm QR. When he gets taller I want to slacken the head angle and add more travel with a Sid 120mm travel, 15mm Thru axle.
    For anyone looking for the A2Z XCF-15 front hub which have been almost impossible to find, Torontocycles has stock in Black and red for a reasonable price.
    Cassette Lock Rings, A2z Skewers, Presta Valve Stem Caps

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm interested in getting one of these 14" frames. Can anyone who had a good experience give actual supplier names? There are so many of these "companies" and very little quality feedback on these sites.

Also, what are you all doing for bottom brackets/cranksets? How about front derailleurs, it appears you need to directly clamp one onto the carbon seat tube?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Going to get rid of the boat anchor FSA cranks and FSA BB. Replacing with Middleburn 160mm cranks 104/64 spider, Race Face 30T narrow/wide chainring, Aluminum chainring bolts, Ti crank bolts ( from my parts bin ) Race Face Ti BB.
    Also just installed Hope T-Rex 40 T cog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_7391_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_7393_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_7394_1.jpg  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast