Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Axe
    Custom User Title
    I finally got around to ordering one of those 14" frames, paid on Alibaba. Will update once it arrives.

Thinking of it, maybe it is even too small. Current 24" Scott FS has about 19.5" ETT, with 14" seat tube, and this new one listed at 536mm/21.1". Of course with 100mm 26" fork, compared to 60mm 24", it will have a much higher front end, but not sure size jump is big enough for reach. Will be kinda compact. Still, one size up, and I will swap frames sooner than later - as I have a second kid growing up, should be enough utilization.

mtbr member
    Look forward to seeing the build photos Axe. May I ask how much you paid for the frame?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Received the frame in CA. $420 delivered with bottom bracket and headset included - matte UD finish, obviously without fake Cube logos.

1230g. Not the lightest. Seems quite well made. There is a little rattling sound inside on chainstay if I invert it and shake. Do not think it will rattle when ridden in the normal orientation. Decided not to care.

I will build over the week and post pictures. On first glance seems like a great option for the first 26" bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Can you post a link or which seller you used?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Axe how did your build go? Did you use a tapered fork with the frame? I have issue with tapered fork not clearing the headtube. The headtube length is only 95mm while I need at least 105mm to clear the fork.

mtbr member
    This 14.5" looks interesting, no geo info though, and the TT may be on the long side.

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-201561611421961069.jpg

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudstrifez View Post
    Axe how did your build go? Did you use a tapered fork with the frame? I have issue with tapered fork not clearing the headtube. The headtube length is only 95mm while I need at least 105mm to clear the fork.
    I am getting more mileage from 24" for now. Build hit a snag as I could not find a cost effective short crank solution for stupid presfit BB (derp on my part)

Thinking of selling and getting 14" (more of a size gap), with threaded bracket to reuse 150mm square taper I have around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyquist View Post
    This 14.5" looks interesting, no geo info though, and the TT may be on the long side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201561611421961069.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	997712
    If that's from Peter at XMCarbonSpeed, here's the geo (let me know if you can't view the PDF).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx7...ew?usp=sharing

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilds1 View Post
    If that's from Peter at XMCarbonSpeed, here's the geo (let me know if you can't view the PDF).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx7...ew?usp=sharing
    At 560mm TT I would be looking at 27.5 hardtails...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I am getting more mileage from 24" for now. Build hit a snag as I could not find a cost effective short crank solution for stupid presfit BB (derp on my part)

Thinking of selling and getting 14" (more of a size gap), with threaded bracket to reuse 150mm square taper I have around.
    you could use a race face pf30 adapter ($50) and then standard shimano style cranks will fit.

I used bombshell cranks (68mm) which are working fine, though they are $210

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    you could use a race face pf30 adapter ($50) and then standard shimano style cranks will fit.
    Good timing with suggestion. I have Canfield Brothers 155mm GXT crank with 28t single ring in a shopping cart right now. Which doubles the cost of the project.

May still do it, as I will amortize it over another kid, they are DH worthy, and then can be used by my wife to spin on easy paths to put less load on her knees.

But will it fit? This one has PF92, I think adaptor will make it much too wide.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I thought about it and ordered Canfield Brothers 155mm AM/DH cranks. I hope I will get few years of various uses from it.
    So that build finally commences soon. Will post.

Chairman of the Beard
    Just wanted to say I'm about to be a dad times 2 and these threads are filling me with all kinds of stoke.

Thanks for being rad, guys. Excited to join the club.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Axe - any update on how the build went? I'm just jumping into one of these projects myself and have been considering that Canfield Crank.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Went great. Will take pictures later.

Older SID fork - I found it easiest to tune for a light rider, Canfield cranks with 28t, 11-40 10 speed with Wolftooth cog, and 16t cog. Zee derailleur - works as is, but barely. 70mm stem and 580mm flat Easton bar. Hope Hoops wheels with rear tubeless Racing Ralph gatestar 2.25 and from 2.2 Nobby Nic with latex tube (that tire weeps way too much, non TR ready).

Flybikes Ruben plastic pedals, I find them most secure among non steel pin ones.

My daughter is almost too tall for it. Will wait for her brother after this summer. I have another 26" bike to part out for her next one. Then she will get to my bikes I guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Went great. Will take pictures later.

Older SID fork - I found it easiest to tune for a light rider, Canfield cranks with 28t, 11-40 10 speed with Wolftooth cog, and 16t cog. Zee derailleur - works as is, but barely. 70mm stem and 580mm flat Easton bar. Hope Hoops wheels with rear tubeless Racing Ralph gatestar 2.25 and from 2.2 Nobby Nic with latex tube (that tire weeps way too much, non TR ready).

Flybikes Ruben plastic pedals, I find them most secure among non steel pin ones.

My daughter is almost too tall for it. Will wait for her brother after this summer. I have another 26" bike to part out for her next one. Then she will get to my bikes I guess.
    How tall is your daughter? I'm rethinking this 14" frame for the 14.5" frame listed above in this thread. The 14" frame is only 6mm (basically negligible) longer than his current 24" Hotrock.

The longer top tube may be better long-term for my son. I wish it listed standover height in that pdf chart though. Hopefully the seller will be responsive so I can get that information.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    She is about 5'3" now, at 11. With 70mm stem and setback seatpost, quite good fit at the moment. We have fairly tight trails near out home.

While ETT is not much different from her 24" full suspension Scott, 26" is taller, and with a larger wheelbase, so it rides quite bigger, but still lets her get behind the saddle easier.

I am eyeing 16" On One carbon 456 with a 120mm fork I have around and 40mm stem as the next step up.

Chairman of the Beard
    Build pics?
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    I pulled the trigger. A 14.5" frame will be in my hands in 7-74 days, or however long it takes.....

Build so far:

-155mm Canfield Brothers crank which I'm excited about.
    -Older Fox 32 Fork.
    -Sram X9 1x10 drivetrain.
    -40mm stem
    -cheapo wheels I had laying around

Just need to decide on brakes and pick up a few other random bits. My son caught me talking about the build with one of my buddies, so it won't be a surprise anymore, but he's stoked. It'll be fun to get it built up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    I pulled the trigger. A 14.5" frame will be in my hands in 7-74 days, or however long it takes.....

Build so far:

-155mm Canfield Brothers crank which I'm excited about.
    -Older Fox 32 Fork.
    -Sram X9 1x10 drivetrain.
    -40mm stem
    -cheapo wheels I had laying around

Just need to decide on brakes and pick up a few other random bits. My son caught me talking about the build with one of my buddies, so it won't be a surprise anymore, but he's stoked. It'll be fun to get it built up.
    I got my frame in about 1.5 weeks. As for brakes, Shimano Deore brakes rate very well and bleeding is very easy. Good luck. Pics when you are done.

mtbr member
    removed. Wrong forum.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123