Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    turtles make me hot
    Nice. Lucky kid.
    I like turtles

bike geek
    How's this working out? Any pics of the complete bike? What is standover height on the final product? I am looking for my 10yr old's first 26er and can't bring myself to buy the 31lb Hardrock from the LBS, so am considering building up a variety of frames. I think he can manage anything with an ETT of 22" or less and standover of 28" or less so this Chinese carbon frame, the 14" Sette Reken, the 13.5" Soma B-Side but with 26" wheels instead of 650B, or a small Santa Cruz Chameleon are all on the short list.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Can't help with stand over height yet. Took 2 months to get rims and I had to wait for those to measure rims ERD to order spokes. Been 10 days since ordering spokes, so I hope to see them next week. Once the wheels are built the bike will be complete.
    Its looking really good and I can tell you the weight should be in the 18ish lbs. range.

mtbr member
    You can ride the KTM in the meanwhile... ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Spokes showed up - Sapim Laser & Sapim Polyax aluminum nipples.
    Was very happy how the wheelset built up = 1356 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5193_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5195_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5197_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5199_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Very nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Final weight = 18.49 lbs. I still need to trim some brake lines. He ended up with a very well-used set of XTR 975 brakes with Alligator Windcutter rotors. Rocket Ron 2.4 front, 2.25 rear.
    Pleased with how it ended up with the exception of the boat anchor bottom bracket and semi boat anchor cranks. Eventually I'll have this bike in 17 lbs. ish range once he's done with his Scott Spark RC 24". I'll move the 160mm Middleburn cranks & Race Face Ti BB to this bike. The 2.4 RR & 180mm front rotor are over kill, but I had these parts on hand and will let him burn them off, replacing them with a 2.25 front & 160 rotor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5201_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5203_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5204_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5205_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5206_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5207_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5208_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5209_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5210_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5211_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That's really looking nice. Good job.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks Joe.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great looking build, looking forward to seeing it eventually get down to 17#.
    As an aside, I notice a lot of kid-build bikes (like this one) and particularly those with significant front suspension wind-up with the handlebars set well above the level of the seat. On any of the MTBs I have ever setup for myself, I've never had the handlebars setup so high. Is there a biometric rational for setting up kids with such high handlebars or is this just the unintended consequence of trying to get them onto a frame that is larger than they would properly fit?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    ... the handlebars set well above the level of the seat...
    I'd say your second explanation of "unintended consequence" is the right one. You can get 26er and even 29er frames with very short seat tubes and consequently low standover heights that you can fit kids on but you can't get the bars low enough for kids to be able to climb technical stuff. This is why I think there is still a place for 24" frames, they enable you to get the bars right, particularly for kids racing XC.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    Great looking build, looking forward to seeing it eventually get down to 17#.
    As an aside, I notice a lot of kid-build bikes (like this one) and particularly those with significant front suspension wind-up with the handlebars set well above the level of the seat. On any of the MTBs I have ever setup for myself, I've never had the handlebars setup so high. Is there a biometric rational for setting up kids with such high handlebars or is this just the unintended consequence of trying to get them onto a frame that is larger than they would properly fit?
    The seat height in the photo's is where he wanted it to hit some dirt jumps that he was going to. For XC rides he'll have it an inch or two higher.
    You see all kinds of 20 & 24" bikes with the seat height a lot lower than the bars and a lot of just comes down to kids don't feel comfortable tippy toed on two or even one foot to get the correct XC seat height like the bikes we set up for ourselves.
    Thanks for the comments.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I just finished building one of these frames up for my son. Even with a 80mm fork, neg rise stem and flat bars the bar height is still a bit higher in relation to the saddle height than I would like. He doesnt seem to mind though. He is loving it.

Well done xc71. This build was the inspriation to build one up for my son.
    rise above

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by auntesther View Post
    I just finished building one of these frames up for my son. Even with a 80mm fork, neg rise stem and flat bars the bar height is still a bit higher in relation to the saddle height than I would like. He doesnt seem to mind though. He is loving it.

Well done xc71. This build was the inspriation to build one up for my son.
    Thanks. My son is loving this bike as well. Is amazed at how fast it is and the light weight handling. What did yours end up weighing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Thanks. My son is loving this bike as well. Is amazed at how fast it is and the light weight handling. What did yours end up weighing?
    just about 20lbs flat. I had to make some concessions once the finance approval committee ( his mother) noticed what was going on.
    rise above

mtbr member
    Very nice!
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Great looking bike! Looking at building something similar for my wife. Was this officially labeled as a 15" inch frame? How tall is your son? My wife is 5', so that's why I'm looking for small sizes. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by allenpg View Post
    Great looking bike! Looking at building something similar for my wife. Was this officially labeled as a 15" inch frame? How tall is your son? My wife is 5', so that's why I'm looking for small sizes. Thanks!
    Thanks. Yes, 15". My son is 4' 8".

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    any idea what the final cost for the build was? I've got a couple of nine year olds that I need to build something downhill friendly for. This is just what I had in mind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the_walrus View Post
    any idea what the final cost for the build was? I've got a couple of nine year olds that I need to build something downhill friendly for. This is just what I had in mind.
    I've never added everything up as I had a lot of the parts laying around - some used, some new.The most expensive items were:
    Frame = $315 shipped.
    Sid Race fork = $170, got this off ebay and it was in excellent shape.
    Wheels = $560, that's not including labor as I built them up.
    You can get Middleburn 160mm cranks for $179 and they weigh about the same as XTR cranks.If your not in a rush ( I had made this one a winter project ) you could find the same parts spec or similar keeping on eye on Pink Bike, MTBR Classified, Ebay, Ali express.If you need new parts check CRC around X-Mas with their coupon deals, Getting the XTR 10 speed cassette for $134 was a great deal.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Great thread! Probably got some photos in action?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by leugene View Post
    Great thread! Probably got some photos in action?
    Not yet, but will be taking some soon.

mtbr member
    Flip the bars - we have a guy that's pretty short that rides a 29'er and flips his bars over to get them lower..... Might be worth a shot to try.

Ed

mtbr member
    May 2013
    great build, I want to make one fo rmyself but not sure if it will support my fata$$

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    So I had given my son a used Rocket Ron EVO 2.4 X 26 front tire for this build. One cool thing I've discovered with high volume 26" tires is how close these are to 650B tires. Considering most 650B tires measure in the 27.3 - 27.4" range, this tire measured 26.75".
    He said how well this bike rolls over rocks & roots, but I didn't think anything of it until we started measuring tires.
    For adults looking to get closer to the 650B size, run this front with a Conti Race King Supersonic 2.2, this is a huge volume tire and also measured 26.75". - Also pictured.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5537_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5532_1.jpg  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast