Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    [QUOTE=IAmHolland;9970725]Thanks for the info. I take it, it's a standard ZS44 standard? It doesn't look like IS?

No not a ZS44, its a intigrated headset. It looks like a semi Int. on the scale pic, but it has short cups that go into the headtube then the bearing cartridges drop into those. Not familar with these cups as on my Ibis the bearings drop right into the headtube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey XC71, which frame is this??? What vendor did you use??? About to pull the trigger for my 12 year old who wants a new ride this year and doing some research on the different companies out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by paulys_tx View Post
    Hey XC71, which frame is this??? What vendor did you use??? About to pull the trigger for my 12 year old who wants a new ride this year and doing some research on the different companies out there.
    The factory is HK Flyii Co.,Limited
    Model - FR201
    There is another option in this size and price range that looks like it has a lower top tube height, can't remember the model #, maybe FR16 or something like that. The reason I didn't go for that style is the cable mounts are fixed to the top of the toptube in a bad position - looks like it could do alot of damage to the groan area. With the cables running on the bottom of the toptube on the FR201 it looks a nice slick set up.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    The bearings are cartridge style. Although not CC or CK quality, it seems decent for 10 bucks, we"ll see how long it lasts.
    CRC had XTR M980 11/36 10 speed cassettes on for $169.93 CAD. Also got him a SLX rear shifter and few other items to make sure my total was $250.00. With their X-Mas voucher codes I then got $50.00 off my order - so the XTR cassette cost me $135.00 CAD amazing good deal! I had been watching CRC for Medium cage XT clutch rear derailleurs to come back in stock but misted the XTR cassette price so thanks again NY.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    A2Z XCF-15 front hub showed up today. Its convertible from 15mm thru axle to 9mm QR. In the 15mm TA config. its 108.5 grams! QR its 115 grams. You can mount a 6 bolt rotor two different ways with this hub. 1) Use the standard 6 bolts.And these aren't included with the hub. 2) Install the 6 locktite coated set screws into the hub, place the rotor over them then thread the cassette style lockring into the hub which tightens against the rotor. You can see the lockring leaning against the bottom of the scale. Suprisingly this set up was lighter than 6 steel bolts. The lockring & set screws are 12.5 grams. 6 steel rotor bolts are 14 grams. To go full on weightweenie you could get the set screws in Ti or go with 3 Ti bolts & 3 aluminium bolts. I may splurge for 6 aluminium bolts & run 3 steel & 3 alum. in the front & rear hubs.
    I'm thrilled with the weight on this hub as I looked high & low for a 15mm TA and/or 15 TA/9QR convertible hub & found nothing unless you wanted to spend big bucks. I couldn't find any convertible, light, cheap hubs, and the lightest 15mm TA hub I found was 162 grams.
    I'm guessing this hub is a brand new style for A2Z as they don't even list it on their website. In all my searching I only came across two of these, both from the same seller.
    Edit: forgot to mention the reason I wanted a convertible hub for this build is my son will start with the Sid Race 80mm travel, 9mm QR. When he gets taller I want to slacken the head angle and add more travel with a Sid 120mm travel, 15mm Thru axle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4402_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4404_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4406_1.jpg  

Last edited by xc71; 12-18-2012 at 03:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice report on the XCF-15. I've wondered what they are like but have not been able to find any in recent times except gold coloured ones. I really like the front A2Z hubs (the rear is rubbish because of its dodgy engagement mechanism, but would work well for a kid's bike build). The XCF-15 is great value for money and pretty much the same weight as a Tune King hub, only about a third of the price.

mtbr member
    It's pretty sick that your kid's bike will be more blinged out than my adult bike.

Hahaha.

Cool beans yo!

Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Extralite foam grips 15.6 grams, these have been trimmed down a few mm - lots of tight trees around here and I end up mangling the ends so he ends up with my old grips.
    Ibis seatpost clamp with Ti bolt 15.6 grams, taken from Mom's bike as she went with a QR clamp.
    Selle Italia SLR XP 180.7 grams. I think this saddle will work very well for him, other than being a little bit longer its similar in size to his Scott saddle which he really likes. ( Scott = 255 grams ) For the weight of the XP, its got a decent amount of padding and that great SLR shape which I find very comfy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4375_1_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4374_1_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4372_5_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    XTR 11/36 ten speed cassette showed up.
    KMC X10SL chain.
    Just about have everything.Rear hub & seatpost should be here any day, still need rear derailleur and need to figure out rims and spokes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4565_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4564_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Still don't have all the parts, but we started building today. He can't wait to ride it. And no, he's not getting the carbon New Ultimate seatpost & Tune Speedneedle saddle, just borrowed mine to hang the frame in the stand until his seatpost shoes up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4678_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4679_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4680_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4681_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    XT clutch rear derailleur & seatpost showed up, so just down to waiting for wheelparts to show up.
    These clutch derailleurs are beefy at 257 grams.
    Seatpost was a cheap no name carbon post $43.00 shipped. 31.6 X 350 = 186 grams.
    After I cut it to the correct length of 250mm it was 151.4.
    The upper yokes are really light - same weight as KCNC yokes, but the steel bolts and lower cradle are heavy. I had some Ti bolts from an older seatpost and I made a new lower cradle out of an offcut from a Easton 30.9mm carbon seatpost. This also fit really well into the half circle cut out at the top of the seatpost where it rests. The stock lower cradle had a terrible fit with gaps on both sides.
    Final weight = 131.8.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4743_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4747_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4748_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4749_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4744_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Great stuff. Very ingenious way to make an ultra-light lower cradle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks Tig

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Got a set of the new Circus Monkey HDW3 hubs. Will only be using the rear as I'm using the A2Z XCF 15 hub mentioned above. The CM rear came in at 223.3 grams so between the two hubs should help make for a light wheelset. The CM hubs came with QR's and just expected them to be heavy steel QR's. I was shocked when I dropped them on the scale and they weighed 45.9 grams for the pair. A magnet test confirmed they were Ti.
    For the money really happy with the hubs/QR's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4813_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4817_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4815_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That's awesome XC71. I was thinking about getting that exact combo. Nice that the colour matches. What's the engagement mechanism like on the HDW3?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    That's awesome XC71. I was thinking about getting that exact combo. Nice that the colour matches. What's the engagement mechanism like on the HDW3?
    I'm not sure Tig. I had heard the engagement system was reliable and better than the previous HDW versions though. I'll take it apart some time and snap a pic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hi...

Don't mean to sideline this thread and maybe I'm really not intune with the realities of bike manufacturing but isn't this teaching our kids not to support American products? Looks like a lot of effort spent buying lots of individual products that maybe some of that money could have gone to buying an American frame? Sorry don't mean to be an a** I just am concerned about where our little ones are going to be working. Please bash me or evict me or do whatever you want but I'm just curious as to why? I'm not trying to be a hater here and I truly hope you and your son enjoy this time together. Sounds like a great bonding experience I hope to have with my kids :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    He already has a modded Scott Spark RC 24". The point of this was a budget build and ultra lightweight. Almost all of american company's selling carbon frames and parts are all made in Asia, i just went right to the source for approx. one tenth the cost. I guess i could of bought him the new made in america Trek carbom, but wasn't interested in dropping over $3000.00 just for the frame. To buy an american made bike that is the same weight range as this bike will cost well over 10,000.00. This one should be in the 18 lbs. range.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Here you go Tig. Looks like a decent design with the 3 pawls on the freehub body. Hopefully it will be more reliable than the A2Z rear hub you had issues with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4959_1.jpg  

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_4960_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    So what rims are you lacing to those hubs? I'm kind of in the same boat, but going a little cheaper with an AL frame (Sette Reken, $89.98 from Price point). Looking for some decent lightweight rims to lace to the hope hubs I have sitting at home. Any leads? Thinking about getting the Stan's 355s that are on sale at notubes.com.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn View Post
    So what rims are you lacing to those hubs? I'm kind of in the same boat, but going a little cheaper with an AL frame (Sette Reken, $89.98 from Price point). Looking for some decent lightweight rims to lace to the hope hubs I have sitting at home. Any leads? Thinking about getting the Stan's 355s that are on sale at notubes.com.
    I'm going with Light-bicycle carbon rims. Wanted to build him a strong/light wheelset as he will be likely taking these wheels to his next bike if they hold up. However getting the LB rims has turned into a Gong show. They told me they would be shipped to me over 4 weeks ago. At this time they are still not made and they can't tell me when they'll be finished. In hindsight a should have just gone with my original choice which was ZTR Alpines, if you can get them weighed before purchasing, I've seen these as light as 317 grams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Here you go Tig. Looks like a decent design with the 3 pawls on the freehub body. Hopefully it will be more reliable than the A2Z rear hub you had issues with.
    Awesome. Looks like a much better engagement mechanism. Those hubs really look like a bargain for the weight. I think I'll get a set for may daughter's new 24" wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn View Post
    Try 2ndcycle.com.au - they have ZTR alpines for $60 each - NoTubes Rim ZTR Alpine 26" 32 Hole Black (TRD60) - 2ndCycle.com.au. The also have podium MMX rims for $71 each. Every now and then they have a 40% off sale. I recently stocked up on an obscene number of MMX rims for $42 each delivered.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    looks fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Well, better late than never. 7 weeks after Light-bicycles said I would have these rims, they finally show up. 3K matte weave.
    360 & 357 grams. These have a 23mm inner width & are tubeless compatible. Now to figure out spoke length. Should be the last parts I need to finish this off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon XS 26" build-img_5105_1.jpg  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast