mtbr member

Chinese carbon bars and seat posts?

Im seeing carbon bars and seat post on ebay for 30-45 dollars. I dont want to buy anything that is going to harm my boy and snap on him, 11 y o 115lbs. The flat xc bars 25.4 are 110grams and the seatpost 30.9 are 245 grams. Just wondering if anyone has bought these or had experiences with them. The weight loss over the stock aluminum is significant and the price is right. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Go to post #36 on this thread I started. It has the seatpost info you are looking for.For sure a good way to go for kids.

Chinese Carbon XS 26" build

mtbr member

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    XC71's carbon seatpost tuning is superb. If you don't have the Ti bolts and spare 30.9mm dia carbon tube to make the lower cradle you can always get a carboncycles post - around $70 delivered. More expensive than the ebay $40 ones, but it comes with the Ti bolts and carbon cradle. The 31.6mm x 250mm one I got for my daughter's bike weighs 159g.

mtbr member

Great ideas guys! I'm also concerned about the quality of the carbon.... Any chance of these bars or seat post giving out on the boy as he rides a rough section? The thought of the bars snapping and his face meeting the stem over me trying to save money and weight would be horrible..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksousa81 View Post
    Great ideas guys! I'm also concerned about the quality of the carbon.... Any chance of these bars or seat post giving out on the boy as he rides a rough section? The thought of the bars snapping and his face meeting the stem over me trying to save money and weight would be horrible..
    I think as long as the mfg can provide you with EN or CEN certification you should be Ok.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ... Any chance of these bars or seat post giving out on the boy as he rides a rough section? ..
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the seat post, its not particularly lightweight @245g so should be fairly strong for a kid. Failure of the seatpost (probably around the clamp) will not cause an immediate crash anyway.

Not sure the exact ebay bars your are talking about, but there are some 620mm bars in 25.4mm clamp that have a claimed weight of 117g on ebay at the moment. 117g is fairly light for that sort of bar with that rise and width. If they are well made it shouldn't be a problem but the no-name stuff is always a gamble.

Carboncycles has 115g scandium flatbar's @$40. I used the $25 alu versions (178g) on my daughter's FS bike and they have survived a lot of abuse.

mtbr member

Yes the bars are 580mm flat bar claimed weight of 106g I think.....

turtles make me hot
    MTB Mountain Bike Cycling Carbon Fiber Handlebar Bicycle Riser Bar 31 8 640mm VP | eBay

Check this out. It looks to have a Bontrager emblem on it... Maybe a factory reject??
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    One thing to remember is that these components are designed to handle the forces generated by an adult male, plus some safety margin. So a 115lb child is probably only able to apply half that force, and therefore highly unlikely to stress the component to failure. The only method for the component to fail given the small loading would be due to manufacturing defect, and I don't know how to quantify that. The safety of our children is paramount and so your thinking is completely understandable, but the odds would be very small. Probably more chance of injury due to a car accident while driving to the trail head.

To come full circle, this issue is one of the reasons that most kids bikes are boat anchors, as they're often spec'd with components designed for adult loads, and therefore way over engineered. And so us "concerned parents" spend time and money looking for ways to loose some weight. Sound familiar?

mtbr member

Haha sure does I'm sure most of us can agree!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDecisive View Post
    One thing to remember is that these components are designed to handle the forces generated by an adult male, plus some safety margin...
    I generally agree with this approach although for carbon handlebars I've got a slightly different take on this. Kids can be surprisingly rough on gear in ways that an adult would not normally be. I haven't seen any lightweight carbon bars break under an adult rider, but I have seen a couple break as a result of crashes. I am horrified sometimes when one of my kids perches their bike on the edge of a steep slope and then it topples over and cartwheels down the hill. These are the sort of things that can cause lightweight carbon bars to break.