mtbr member

Cheap-ish 20" disc wheelset on Ebay - anyone tried?

These seem to be a regularly available 20" disc wheelset sold on Ebay (white no-name rims, Quando disc hubs, 28 spoke): 20" White Wheelset Gold Quando Hubs Disc or V Brake W06 | eBay

Weight numbers seem a little heavy, but not too bad, and probably lighter than most 20" bikes stock wheelsets with cheap hubs and solid axles/nuts. I was going to build my own disc wheelset using some older disc hubs I had and the stock rims that came on my son's Spark Jr 20, but this is a reasonably priced (and lazy) option. Well, the wheelset is cheap anyway - the shipping is a bit expensive. Just curious if anyone here has tried them out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbhead View Post
    These seem to be a regularly available 20" disc wheelset sold on Ebay (white no-name rims, Quando disc hubs, 28 spoke): 20" White Wheelset Gold Quando Hubs Disc or V Brake W06 | eBay

Weight numbers seem a little heavy, but not too bad, and probably lighter than most 20" bikes stock wheelsets with cheap hubs and solid axles/nuts. I was going to build my own disc wheelset using some older disc hubs I had and the stock rims that came on my son's Spark Jr 20, but this is a reasonably priced (and lazy) option. Well, the wheelset is cheap anyway - the shipping is a bit expensive. Just curious if anyone here has tried them out.
    Holy cow those as heavy as the stock 24 inch wheels that came on my son's Marin.

If you can build wheels do it. You're going to be adding weight in the worst place possible.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    I like the idea that they are setup for discs already but I concur, build your own wheels. I think for just a little additional money you will be happily satisfied and enjoy them more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Go with an XT disc hub, sapim/wheel smith/DT Swiss spokes and a BMX rim like alienation. Way lighter......

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jwolfe0815 View Post
    Go with an XT disc hub, sapim/wheel smith/DT Swiss spokes and a BMX rim like alienation. Way lighter......
    Old post but a warning because of the last post, if you want Mountain Bike sized tires, then DONT use a BMX rim.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    No problems with Alienation 20" Deviants... Comes in 32h too.

Had them on my son's bike for 3 years, now passed on to my daughter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NS-NV View Post

Yea I forgot I was thinking of my experience with the 24 inch rims for my son's bike and all the different size 24 inch rims. The first set of rims I bought would only fit the mini BMX tires- expensive lesson to learn the hard way.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NS-NV View Post

Bingo

NONDURO
    At the present my favourite local wheelbuilder is lacing up some 20" double-walled Alienation Runaway BMX rims onto some cheap-yet-lightweight disc hubs. Plenty of clearance up front to run a 20"x2.5" Onza Sticky Fingers (non-19" trials version) tire for plenty of grip, and going to run a 20" Kenda Small Block Eight in back. The wheel build will weigh a couple pounds less than the stock set which apparently is made from lead and granite.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

turtles make me hot
    I've done 20" Velocity Aeroheats on old 8 speed XT hubs and now my son is riding a 24" bike with XT hubs and Sunringle Rynolites. Maxxis Snyper tires. Not the lightest thing ever, but they work good.
    I like turtles