mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Changing Hotrock from Pink to Orange - is it paint or powder?

Hi...

Donating my HR (think it's '07 model) to my neighbor as I inherited my nephew's bike for my son. This HR has created many wonderful memories for my daughter's and I'd like to treat it right so your assistance would help. I've reviewed the threads and just want someone to confirm for me if this is paint or not. I'm not an expert but I think it is vs Powder Coat

So I think we can basically give it a nice sanding job and hit it with multiple layers of Rustoleum dark orange is what's he's thinking.

Any suggestions on proper processes is always appreciated.

Smkntrls

I've got an outdate Flash that I'm having trouble updating on my Mac so pics coming soon.
    Last edited by SMKNTRLS; 04-19-2013 at 01:08 PM.

turtles make me hot
    I've stripped bikes with Rock Miracle, Sandpaper, Scotchbrite and even a glass beader.

Once you get it stripped, clean it good, primer and Rustoleum. If they happen to make the color you want in the Hard Hat line, it's extra tough.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thank yo NYrr496! I'm thinking of cutting out Scotchbrite pads or some sander pads (80 grit, maybe too coarse?) that will fit on my circular sander and take most of it off that way. I was going to use some alcohol to clean it prior to primer. Thanks again for the feedback! Have a good ride weekend!

Smkntrls

mtbr member
    Just changed my little ones HR from Purple to Black.
    I could have sanded and reprinted but chose to take it to the local powder coaters.
    It was with them for 3 days and now has a deep smooth gloss finish.
    Total cost 40
    It would have cost me more in materials not including time and also removed the risk of paint reactions.
    I believe it's also a much tougher finish, and can be worked on straight away where as paint can take months to fully set.
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thank you Griffter18 for sharing your experience. That's actually a pretty reasonable price. We have one local to us. I'm going to forward on the link to my friend and let him decide on what he'd like to do. Never thought of any paint reaction.

Instant cure is always nice. Low temp cooking and it should be good for a long time.

Enjoy the times with your little one :-) Totally blessed. Thanks guys!

Smkntrls

mtbr member
    One other option for your friend to consider is to have the frame stripped back to bare metal and then either polishing it or leaving it Matt. No worries about Scratches in the paint and its a pretty cool look.
    Last edited by griffter18; 04-23-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SMKNTRLS View Post
    Thank yo NYrr496! I'm thinking of cutting out Scotchbrite pads or some sander pads (80 grit, maybe too coarse?) that will fit on my circular sander and take most of it off that way. I was going to use some alcohol to clean it prior to primer. Thanks again for the feedback! Have a good ride weekend!

Smkntrls
    The last frame I did 80 grit left a few deep lines, I would start with #120 if I did it again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    griffter18 it's funny I've been looking at raw finishes builds on some Turner Burner's and most recently looking at the Rune's/Spitfire's V2's in those finishes as I just can't handle some of these colors. I can't wait for a couple years from now and the kids are all into it as the used bike market is going to be sweet pickings. Of course this is the reason why I sold my M5 so it may be sooner than later for one of those bad boys. Thanks and that may just be the ticket.

GSJ1973 great feedback. I may just take it down to some guy whose advertising cheap sandblasting on Craigslist as he's probably trying to corner the stolen bike market or just head over to the local powder coater to do it. Probably the latter since I don't like the thought of supporting the first guy.

Thanks everyone for helping me see clearly and I hope you all are getting out for a ride today with the family. Kids are pushing for it!

ATB,

Smkntrls

fried stuff with cheese
    I went the easy low budget rattle can route on the same bike. It worked pretty well actually. My son beat the bike up pretty good and other than a few very small spots where the new paint chipped off to show the pink it held up well. I just roughed up the old paint with sandpaper first and cleaned it. Did three coats with the rattle can, let it dry, and he put some stickers on it.

Changing Hotrock from Pink to Orange - is it paint or powder?-hotrock.jpg
    Egg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Locotiki View Post
    I went the easy low budget rattle can route on the same bike. It worked pretty well actually. My son beat the bike up pretty good and other than a few very small spots where the new paint chipped off to show the pink it held up well. I just roughed up the old paint with sandpaper first and cleaned it. Did three coats with the rattle can, let it dry, and he put some stickers on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hotrock.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	792838
    Looks pretty tight Locotiki. Nice job.

About to send this onto both parents for final evaluation. Thanks everyone for sharing their insight/experiences.

Smkntrls

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    This was pastel yellow when I bought it used. Scuff sanded it only (no stripping), dark gray automotive primer, several coats of gold rustoleum, few coats of rustoleum clear coat. Has held up pretty well. One son road for 3 seasons. younger son will ride it starting this summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Changing Hotrock from Pink to Orange - is it paint or powder?-after-hotroc.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dragbike; 04-22-2013 at 06:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Looks tits Dragbike.

Reminds me of my '78 Gold Trans Am.

Why didn't I have something like this at their age ;-)

Enjoy your summer riding together!

Smkntrls

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbike View Post
    This was pastel yellow when I bought it used. Scuff sanded it only (no stripping), dark gray automotive primer, several coats of gold rustoleum, few coats of rustoleum clear coat. Has held up pretty well. One son road for 3 seasons. younger son will ride it starting this summer.
    This works but you can simplify a bit more.
    Scuff it after cleaning off dirt with a red 3M pad and or 400 grit.. Wash with soap and water or Wax & Grease. No need to prime if you aren't down to bare metal. Color coat do a couple light coats with 10-20 minutes flash time between.. Let dry for 1/2hr and clear coat with the same manufacturer's product for compatability Several light coats is best. After it dries take it out to bake in the sun. If you do need a primer it needs to dry completely and be scuff sanded as above before a sealer(no sand) then color.