Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for the different perspectives.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    IMHO I'd go with the medium. I went with a medium with my daughter and she is about the same height. My reasoning is for flickability. I'm switching out the 60mm stem for a 40mm as soon as we get it. The stem can be changed as she grows taller.

Sure, a larger frame means she can be on it a bit longer. But by the time she is ready for that larger frame she will be ready for a 26er.

The smaller frame will fit them now and as I'm taking my girl on actual mountain bike trails I want her to be able to maneuver the bike as easily as possible. I see a lot of parents putting their kids on bikes larger then child's size in the hopes that they'll grow into them. Sure they can pedal them but can they lift the front wheel off the ground or handle them in technical terrain.
    This is key, so many people push to get them on a 26er too fast in my opinion.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    My son is now 4'10" and on a 26 for reference. He has been on it for about a year now since he was a hair under 4'9". His riding got much better as soon as he got on the 26. It seemed a little big for him last year but fits great now. If they are on the verge you may think about trying to get one more year out of what they are on and then build up a small 26.

I'd like to see pictures of your son handling the bike in the air, or log overs etc...

Can he wheelie or manual it?

I'm not bashing, but depending on what you're trying to teach your kids will make a difference.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cannondale 24" race 21 speed

Little log crossing about a year ago comming down Jedi in Flagstaff. I agree though , depends on what you want to ride and how you want it to fit. His fits very well for XC

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    This is key, so many people push to get them on a 26er too fast in my opinion.
    Makes sense. I'll go with the 24 for him. I incorrectly started him with a BMX bike, so this time I'll try to get it right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

One of the last rides on his 24

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Oops wrong pic but it shows the arm.

And then 4 or 5 months later on the 26

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Maybe my kid needs a 20"

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks everyone for your input. I took my son to the bike shop today and tried a smorgasbord of bikes. He wasn't able to try the Race, but he tried the Trail and the Street. The Cannondale frame was definitely the right fit for him and the Cannondales were noticeably lighter than the other bikes he tried. Placed the order for the Race 24. It might be here as early as the end of next week. My son is pretty excited.

By the way, are the fork and the paint job the main differences between the Trail and the Race?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bleumax View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input. I took my son to the bike shop today and tried a smorgasbord of bikes. He wasn't able to try the Race, but he tried the Trail and the Street. The Cannondale frame was definitely the right fit for him and the Cannondales were noticeably lighter than the other bikes he tried. Placed the order for the Race 24. It might be here as early as the end of next week. My son is pretty excited.

By the way, are the fork and the paint job the main differences between the Trail and the Race?
    No the Race is a huge step up, comes with a lighter air fork. The Trail has a heavy coil.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Goat of Legend
    The main differences is the fork and crank( Trail has a single chainring, Race has 3). If you live in an area that has flat, smooth trails the Trail will probably be ok. If you live in an area that has even moderate trails I'd recommend the Race. If you have the cash, go the Race anyway. Its only $90 extra retail and a better buy. I ordered my daughters on Thursday and it should be here by Tuesday.

Immediate Upgrades:
    60mm stem changed to a 32mm (her current bike has a 17.5 top tube and a 50mm stem. The Medium has a 19.7 toptube and is stretching her out more then I like.
    13-28 cassette changed to a 13-32. We live at the base of the Front Range Mountains in Colorado. Our current 8-10 mile loop that we do from the house has almost 800 ft of climbing and she wants to do more Mountain rides which means she'll need gearing for extended climbs.
    Lasco 152mm 104/64mm cranks. Cranks that come on the bike have rivited chainrings. I want options and the possibility to go 1x.

Future Upgrades:
    Carbon Bars
    Carbon Seatpost
    wheels built to 9 speed disc hubs
    Disc brakes
    possible 1x9 or 1x10 with a 30 tooth chainring 11-42 cassette
    Jpaks custom framebag, seatbag, handlebar bag for bikepacking

Cannondale 24" race 21 speed-2014-05-18.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ..... Its only $90 extra retail and a better buy. .....
    Not MSRP according to cannondale site - $550 vs $420 girls (or $440 for boys version)
    Are you talking street pricing?

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dcp_nz View Post
    Not MSRP according to cannondale site - $550 vs $420 girls (or $440 for boys version)
    Are you talking street pricing?
    Even at $130 it is still a better value for the Air fork vs sprung, 3 chainring crankset vs 1 chainring and front shifter vs non. That air fork alone is $208 MSRP and good luck finding one. I did from the UK when I was looking to build her a Gary Fisher Precaliber but they are hard to find. Two local shops couldn't source that fork or the Spinner Air.

What's curious to me is that Cannondale spec'd these with singlewall rims and non disc hubs, v brakes and the street with doublewall rims, disc hubs and disc brakes.

Also, if you have a good relationship with your local bike shop their more then likely to give you a 10% discount. At least in my experience with shops from North Carolina to Colorado that has been the case. If they don't offer it upfront, ask. Worst they can ever say is no.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What's curious to me is that Cannondale spec'd these with singlewall rims and non disc hubs, v brakes and the street with doublewall rims, disc hubs and disc brakes.
    These were the main reasons I was going to go with the Street over the Race since my daughter isn't doing much for off road at this point. Then after I did some research on the Street brakes, I found out the Tektro Novelas are really low quality and I was looking for a bike she could ride out of the box. (here's a post I made about the brakes Just Ordered my Daughter an Islabike Creig 24 (only 23.4 lbs!) - Page 2)

Note that my husband wasn't as worried about the brakes as I was.

Yesterday we went riding and went through some grassy fields with small hills so if I can get her into more of that it will make the shock we got more worthwhile.

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenMAUW View Post
    These were the main reasons I was going to go with the Street over the Race since my daughter isn't doing much for off road at this point. Then after I did some research on the Street brakes, I found out the Tektro Novelas are really low quality and I was looking for a bike she could ride out of the box. (here's a post I made about the brakes Just Ordered my Daughter an Islabike Creig 24 (only 23.4 lbs!) - Page 2)

Note that my husband wasn't as worried about the brakes as I was.

Yesterday we went riding and went through some grassy fields with small hills so if I can get her into more of that it will make the shock we got more worthwhile.
    No doubt. Completely understood. I was going for the Opus Fever until my LBS offered me a deal on the Race that I could not pass up. I'm getting some Sram X9 hubs that were never built from a friend and will be building her some disc ready wheels by the end of this summer. May not go disc for her yet but we do have some 7 mile downhills.

wW did this one last year for Father's Day.

Disc may come sooner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    In my mind clearly an effort to make them feel significantly lighter than competition on the showroom floor -- and it works!!

Also, if you have a good relationship with your local bike shop their more then likely to give you a 10% discount. At least in my experience with shops from North Carolina to Colorado that has been the case. If they don't offer it upfront, ask. Worst they can ever say is no.
    Yup, just about every bike shop in a 300 mile radius EXCEPT my local spec/c'dale dealer.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    In my mind clearly an effort to make them feel significantly lighter than competition on the showroom floor -- and it works!!

Yup, just about every bike shop in a 300 mile radius EXCEPT my local spec/c'dale dealer.
    Very true. The bike is super light. The tires are skinny too.

In my area, pricing is all over the place, but within 10% of MSRP. The local dealer that I bought the Race from discounted about 10% off of MSRP. Oddly, the in-stock Street was priced higher than the Race - maybe since they have no inventory costs on my Race order.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenMAUW View Post
    The geometry link works for me using both US and Canada as countries. And yes it comes in 2 sizes. Medium is a 12.2 seat tube length and large is a 13.4 seat tube length. I took a screenshot of the geo page for you below:

Attachment 893136

And this PDF from Cannondale's site has a bit of info on supposed inseams which I'm uncertain are totally accurate. http://media.cannondale.com/media/ca...talog_KIDS.pdf
    Holy chainstay length! Why are the chainstays so long???

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Have any of you compared the c'dale race 24 with the trek superfly 24 disc?

Fork clearly superior on the c'dale but lots other stuff appears better on the trek (8 speed cassette vs 7 speed freewheel, shimano hydro disc vs generic v brake, slightly better rear derailleur). Same weight with a heavy fork and disc brakes (trek 25.4 lbs no pedals or kickstand). Upgrade options possibly easier/cheaper by swapping fork instead of new hubs,wheels,cassette,brakes etc. Does the extra $100 buy a better platform to work with or do you all like the cannondale better?

Goat of Legend
    Have any of you compared the c'dale race 24 with the trek superfly 24 disc?

Fork clearly superior on the c'dale but lots other stuff appears better on the trek (8 speed cassette vs 7 speed freewheel, shimano hydro disc vs generic v brake, slightly better rear derailleur). Same weight with a heavy fork and disc brakes (trek 25.4 lbs no pedals or kickstand). Upgrade options possibly easier/cheaper by swapping fork instead of new hubs,wheels,cassette,brakes etc. Does the extra $100 buy a better platform to work with or do you all like the cannondale better?
    Pros and cons to both

The Air forks in the 24 inch size are hard to find. About $200 + to do so. I originally was going to buy a Gary Fisher Pre Caliber and just use the frame, probably donating all the parts to the local Trips for Kids. I still may of came out cheaper this way but the folks who had the Gary Fisher wanted 120, add in the fork and I was already near $350.

The Trek comes with a 104/64 crankset it appears while the C' dale comes with riveted chainrings to the cranks. Important for me as I plan on switching over to either a 1x or 2x system for my daughter. I bought a Lasco Crank though which is better then the one on the Trek. If hers came with with bolted cranks though I wouldn't have changed them.

I'm wanting to go at least 9 sp and possibly 10 sp so either way I would've upgraded the cassette, rear shifter and rear derailleur. This more because we live in the actual mountains and I want her to have a 22x34 or 36. Again, donating all the parts to the local Trips for Kids.

I'm gonna give a go at the V brakes. She has been riding with them on her 20" for 2 years but I'll be building a wheelset for disc in the future. Looking X9 Hubs because I can get them cheap.

If your going to spend $659 for the Trek. Do yourself a favor and spend a few dollars more and get the Opus Fever. Go to their dealer locator and find one in the States that way. Denver, CO has a dealer and had an Opus Fever in stock and I was very close to pulling the trigger on that as well. $750 was the quoted price and worth every penny imho.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Holy chainstay length! Why are the chainstays so long???
    Have you looked at kids bikes? Most are a 420mm. It's one reason I bought the Marin Bayview for my son.

He into tricks more than my daughter, so the shorter CS was important.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Goat of Legend
    I picked up my daughter's Cannondale Race last night from the bike shop and put it together. She got to to ride it for a bit this morning and said it was Awesome! I weighed it at 26.2 lbs out of the box. The stem handlebars and seatpost will be the 1st to go and I have some Avid Single Digit 3 V brakes to replace the current ones, if just to loose a little weight. More coming and I'll post up as I make changes.

P1010016

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That's terrific. She looks happy. Hopefully, my son will receive his this week too.

If you could note what kind of handlebars and stem you pick up as replacements, that would be much appreciated. I'll likely swap out my son's too.

I picked up my daughter's Cannondale Race last night from the bike shop and put it together. She got to to ride it for a bit this morning and said it was Awesome! I weighed it at 26.2 lbs out of the box. The stem handlebars and seatpost will be the 1st to go and I have some Avid Single Digit 3 V brakes to replace the current ones, if just to loose a little weight. More coming and I'll post up as I make changes.

P1010016

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Okay, now i'm very confused

^^^ does not look like the race 24" I am looking at at my LBS. The one here (and on c'dale website) has a straight top tube not curved like your image. I thought only street and trail versions had curved top tube but apparently not....
    Are there two versions? Different versions for different markets?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast