Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oh, about the fork. Yeah, it didn't move much. My son would have done better to ride a rigid fork. When I got home, I checked the air pressure and it was set at 40psi. The chart calls for 20-40 kg at 30-40psi. I guess my son is 28kg. So maybe I'll try the 30psi setting. Although it seems more like he can't blow past the initial stiction in the fork.

I can only hope it'll break in over time and that my son will get a little bigger and ride more aggressively soon...
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by traffic002 View Post

Also...(apologies) my son's old Redline Proline Mini has 145mm square taper crankset. Can I just pull the cranks off of it and swap 'em onto the Canndale?
    It looks like the redline probably came setup as a singlespeed? Square taper crank should easily interchange but can the redline crank accomidate additional chainrings or are you willing to give up front shifting? a 152mm crank does not sound terribly long for a 24" wheeled bike. How big/old is your kid, might help to determine crank length. If the pedals are really wide and clunky, some slimmer pedals could be a good upgrade to also help reduce ground-stikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    It looks like the redline probably came setup as a singlespeed? Square taper crank should easily interchange but can the redline crank accomidate additional chainrings or are you willing to give up front shifting? a 152mm crank does not sound terribly long for a 24" wheeled bike. How big/old is your kid, might help to determine crank length. If the pedals are really wide and clunky, some slimmer pedals could be a good upgrade to also help reduce ground-stikes.

The Redline crankset is truly single speed. I'm fine with losing the front shifting on the Cannodale.

I think the 3-rings are actually quite a joke. Confuses the hell out of my son as he's just trying to keep up with proper pedal positioning as he goes through the single track. He gets the rear shifting. But the front shifting is so awkward in action. What the heck do these kids need a big ring for??? The small ring, I can sorta understand...

Oh, my son is 53" tall and about 64#.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Redline cranks probably would be a good change for time being and would loose some weight and complexity. Might just want to leave the front derailler locked in place over the chainring as a chain-guard but you could remove the cables and shifter. After he grows a bit and aquires more confidence with shifting, you can always go back to a longer double or triple crank.
    Agree that providing kids with gearing choice only appropirate for bombing down a hill at 30+ mph is not a great idea!

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    Hi guys, I'm looking at this bike for my 8 y/o daughter. I saw on here and heard from one shop that it comes in two sizes (?) The C-dale site's geo link is dead so I can't look there. Their specs page doesn't mention it. Is it true? And if so, does the TT get longer by much going from a M to L? I did see 310mm and 340mm an online store's site, I'm guessing those numbers are the seatpost's? Thanks.

BTW the shock is super plush feeling compared to the spring one's on Scott, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Can you fit the X9 RD on the Dale when it is a 7-Speed freewheel? My kid have the GT Stomper 24 that come with the 7-Speed freewheel and I am stuck with Tourney RD and when I replace it with a EZ-Fire swifter i have a hard time shifting to the lowest gear. The LBS told me I need to lace a new 24 wheel with a 9-speed hub in order to perform any upgrade.

I took a look at the Cannondale today. Only for a short time.

The action on the fork is much nicer than anything else I've felt on kids bike. Actually has damping. It's air adjust for weight. The fork that comes on the 'dale doesn't have the rebound knob. Or maybe it fell off? But wasn't there.

It seems to have a friendlier standover than the Spec' XC bike. But the Spec looks to have a slightly nicer drivetrain.

Weighed both bikes with plastic platform pedals.

'Dale = 25.7#
    XC = 27.01#

Now the XC did have an aluminum kickstand on it and wheel reflectors. But I was pleasantly surprised at the weight of the 'Dale.

This might be a good bike right out of the box. And possibly have a good platform for some upgrades. I might try my hand at building wheels again with my buddy's old XT hubs from his Ibis Alibi. That and my spare X9 RD could help shave some weight.

But just wondering what kind of crankset options there are without breaking the bank.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by khaotom View Post
    Can you fit the X9 RD on the Dale when it is a 7-Speed freewheel? My kid have the GT Stomper 24 that come with the 7-Speed freewheel and I am stuck with Tourney RD and when I replace it with a EZ-Fire swifter i have a hard time shifting to the lowest gear. The LBS told me I need to lace a new 24 wheel with a 9-speed hub in order to perform any upgrade.
    Sram RD will not play nicely with shimano shifters, the RD & shifters use different pull ratio and need to be paired correctly for acceptabe index shifting. Getting rid of the nutted freewheel hub is probably a good upgrade path just in terms of reducing weight and improving upgrade possibilities. Pretty easy to find used non-disk casette hubs dirt cheap these days as they are not desireable for use with disk brakes that most all decent MTBs come with now. Get a 32-spoke casette hub and re-lace the rim onto the hub. 7-speed freehubs are a bit less common but you could easily go to 8/9/10 speed freehub and casette, would just need to match the # of shifter clicks to the casette.

If you dont want to mess with wheel building and just keep the 7s freewheel, you can upgrade the RD to most any other shimano RD, should still work fine with 7s shifters and freewheel.

Goat of Legend
    Hey Guys, I'm picking one of these up for my daughter this weekend. I'll be changing the stock 14-28 7 speed Freewheel to a 13-32 IRD that is currently on her 20" bike and eventually I'll change the cranks out to some Lasco 152mm 104/64 bcd cranks.

Lasco Crankset

IRD Free wheel

eventually I'm be lacing some disc hubs to the rims so I can put a 9 speed, maybe 10 speed set up on the bike along with disc brakes. We live in Colorado and ride in the mountains so she needs as much gearing and braking as possible.

Last weekend in Buffalo Creek...I can't wait to get her out there on bigger wheels!

P1000938

mtbr member
    Can the Lasco cranks come with shorter arms? It's the same length as the stock cranks at 152mm. My son gets frustrated with all the pedal strikes he gets.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fongster View Post
    Hi guys, I'm looking at this bike for my 8 y/o daughter. I saw on here and heard from one shop that it comes in two sizes (?) The C-dale site's geo link is dead so I can't look there. Their specs page doesn't mention it. Is it true? And if so, does the TT get longer by much going from a M to L? I did see 310mm and 340mm an online store's site, I'm guessing those numbers are the seatpost's? Thanks.

BTW the shock is super plush feeling compared to the spring one's on Scott, etc.
    The geometry link works for me using both US and Canada as countries. And yes it comes in 2 sizes. Medium is a 12.2 seat tube length and large is a 13.4 seat tube length. I took a screenshot of the geo page for you below:

Cannondale 24" race 21 speed-screenshot-2014-05-13-21.07.15.png

And this PDF from Cannondale's site has a bit of info on supposed inseams which I'm uncertain are totally accurate. http://media.cannondale.com/media/ca...talog_KIDS.pdf

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    Wow, I forgot about this thread...it's been over a year since I first chimed on it. Well, we bought the bike, a medium. It still fits my daughter who is now 65# and 4' 7". Other than swapping tires for Maxxis Snypers, the bike is stock. She raced it last summer and captured 9 Firsts and 2 seconds for the season.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wow, I forgot about this thread...it's been over a year since I first chimed on it. Well, we bought the bike, a medium. It still fits my daughter who is now 65# and 4' 7". Other than swapping tires for Maxxis Snypers, the bike is stock. She raced it last summer and captured 9 Firsts and 2 seconds for the season.
    Ha ha, brain dead apparently. I thought your reply was from April 2014! Sorry about that.

But at least it got you to update us, right?

Do you recall her size when you initially bought it?

Goat of Legend
    Can the Lasco cranks come with shorter arms? It's the same length as the stock cranks at 152mm. My son gets frustrated with all the pedal strikes he gets.
    I don't believe so but Bike Smith Design will sell shortened cranks to your needs. I have a set of Truvativ Isoflows that I'm getting shortened to 140mm for my younger daughter's 20 inch bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Hey Guys, I'm picking one of these up for my daughter this weekend. I'll be changing the stock 14-28 7 speed Freewheel to a 13-32 IRD that is currently on her 20" bike and eventually I'll change the cranks out to some Lasco 152mm 104/64 bcd cranks.

Lasco Crankset

IRD Free wheel

eventually I'm be lacing some disc hubs to the rims so I can put a 9 speed, maybe 10 speed set up on the bike along with disc brakes. We live in Colorado and ride in the mountains so she needs as much gearing and braking as possible.

Last weekend in Buffalo Creek...I can't wait to get her out there on bigger wheels!

She's going to love it. Bought one for my daughter about 3 weeks ago. Already have carbon bars and LX shifters. Picking up some BB7s this weekend and have Novatec hubs on order
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    She's going to love it. Bought one for my daughter about 3 weeks ago. Already have carbon bars and LX shifters. Picking up some BB7s this weekend and have Novatec hubs on order
    Before you get those BB7's, look at this deal: SHIMANO-BR-M446-BL-M445-Hydraulic-Brake

Same brakes as what comes stock on the Opus Fever. I'm seriously considering them.

I have a set of aqua blue Novatec hubs laying in my garage. NOt quite a color match but they'll do and their disk.

What tires did you end up running? The stock Cannondale's are semi slicks and we ride real trails so was thinking of picking up some Specialized Rollers. 610 gr ea but good tread pattern.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    They come in white too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Before you get those BB7's, look at this deal: SHIMANO-BR-M446-BL-M445-Hydraulic-Brake

Same brakes as what comes stock on the Opus Fever. I'm seriously considering them.

I have a set of aqua blue Novatec hubs laying in my garage. NOt quite a color match but they'll do and their disk.

What tires did you end up running? The stock Cannondale's are semi slicks and we ride real trails so was thinking of picking up some Specialized Rollers. 610 gr ea but good tread pattern.
    Take my advice for what it's worth, this is based on my son. I don't think hydros are good for kids. They are still learning to modulate brakes properly. With mechanical, I can adjustment so they slow down the wheel but won't lock up and cause an OTB. As they get better you can adjust that out.

I'm run Moe Joe- rear Rocket Ron - front on my sons and will be ordering those for my Daughter.
    They are about 420g each
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Take my advice for what it's worth, this is based on my son. I don't think hydros are good for kids. They are still learning to modulate brakes properly. With mechanical, I can adjustment so they slow down the wheel but won't lock up and cause an OTB. As they get better you can adjust that out.

I'm run Moe Joe- rear Rocket Ron - front on my sons and will be ordering those for my Daughter.
    They are about 420g each
    Thanks for the tires. I'm looking at Hydros as we live in Colorado and some of our downhills are over 7 miles long. That's a workout on v brakes and little hands. Looking at Hydros to give her some relief. There's a few kids here riding Lil Shredders with Hydros and all seem to be doing well with them. I personally dislike the BB7's I have on my Fat Bike otherwise I'd put them on her bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Has anyone looked at the Islabikes Craig. Definitely more money but comes with disks, decent fork. My sister is looking for a bike for her son and was asking me about it. My son has grown out of 24's so I haven't really been paying much attention to this forum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    Has anyone looked at the Islabikes Craig. Definitely more money but comes with disks, decent fork. My sister is looking for a bike for her son and was asking me about it. My son has grown out of 24's so I haven't really been paying much attention to this forum.
    Yes I did, but as I've said $1000 for a bike with X5 RD doesn't do it for me. The Cannondale Race is $500 and with the other $400-$500, I'll end up with a much better bike in my opinion.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2014
    My 8yo son is about the same weight and height. Would you recommend the medium or the large? They don't seem to stock the 24" Race around me, so I'll have to order the bike without my son trying it out. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Just curious to peoples thoughts,,,,my son is growing rather quickly, and his 20 inch Specialized is nearing the end from a size perspective. The 24 inch used to seem like a logical next step, but I recently had my son try a 15 inch frame with 26 wheels at the lbs. It was not as big as I thought
    Realistically, I dont want to buy one of these and in one year wish I had just gotten a small adulat frame mtb....thoughts?
    2009 Salsa Fargo
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2012 Cannondale SL4 29

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bleumax View Post
    My 8yo son is about the same weight and height. Would you recommend the medium or the large? They don't seem to stock the 24" Race around me, so I'll have to order the bike without my son trying it out. Thanks!
    IMHO I'd go with the medium. I went with a medium with my daughter and she is about the same height. My reasoning is for flickability. I'm switching out the 60mm stem for a 40mm as soon as we get it. The stem can be changed as she grows taller.

Sure, a larger frame means she can be on it a bit longer. But by the time she is ready for that larger frame she will be ready for a 26er.

Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    Just curious to peoples thoughts,,,,my son is growing rather quickly, and his 20 inch Specialized is nearing the end from a size perspective. The 24 inch used to seem like a logical next step, but I recently had my son try a 15 inch frame with 26 wheels at the lbs. It was not as big as I thought
    Realistically, I dont want to buy one of these and in one year wish I had just gotten a small adulat frame mtb....thoughts?

The smaller frame will fit them now and as I'm taking my girl on actual mountain bike trails I want her to be able to maneuver the bike as easily as possible. I see a lot of parents putting their kids on bikes larger then child's size in the hopes that they'll grow into them. Sure they can pedal them but can they lift the front wheel off the ground or handle them in technical terrain.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response ^^. This is a good point if doing very technical riding. I will have to have him try one in person.
    2009 Salsa Fargo
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2012 Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cannondale 24" race 21 speed

My son is now 4'10" and on a 26 for reference. He has been on it for about a year now since he was a hair under 4'9". His riding got much better as soon as he got on the 26. It seemed a little big for him last year but fits great now. If they are on the verge you may think about trying to get one more year out of what they are on and then build up a small 26.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast