Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Built some 24" Wheels

Alex ACE 20 Rims
    Novatch 811/812 Hubs
    Double butted spokes

Front: 800g with skewer
    Rear: 930g with skewer

ACE 20's sealed up tubeless with standard Stan's rim strips really easily.

Built some 24" Wheels-img_7233.jpgBuilt some 24" Wheels-img_7234.jpgBuilt some 24" Wheels-img_7235.jpgBuilt some 24" Wheels-img_7236.jpgBuilt some 24" Wheels-img_7238.jpgBuilt some 24" Wheels-img_7240.jpgBuilt some 24" Wheels-img_7241.jpgBuilt some 24" Wheels-img_7242.jpgBuilt some 24" Wheels-img_7246.jpgBuilt some 24" Wheels-img_7248.jpgBuilt some 24" Wheels-img_7249.jpgBuilt some 24" Wheels-img_7250.jpgBuilt some 24" Wheels-img_7251.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Built some 24" Wheels-img_7240.jpg  

Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Really nice! Where'd you get the ACE20's from?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What frame are these going to live on? I have some 24's collecting dust here, because I can't find a frame to work with them yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Really nice! Where'd you get the ACE20's from?
    ebay, seller is chasertech. I bought two pairs, not sure if I'm going to build another set as my daughter will be on a 26er sooner than I was thinking. If you are interested I could sell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilancing View Post
    What frame are these going to live on? I have some 24's collecting dust here, because I can't find a frame to work with them yet.
    I've been upgrading a GF PreCal that we bought a few years ago for my son. I have looked for 24" frames too, but never come across any. Only way I know of is to find an old 24" bike on Craigs and strip it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice, similar to the ones I have on my son's bike except I used Velocity Aeroheats.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

turtles make me hot
    I built my son a 24" bike as well... Bought a GF Tyro complete off Craigslist for 60 bucks and stripped it to the bare frame. Made it a 1 x 10 with disc brakes, a 26er fork and built wheels using Shimano Deore hubs and Sunringle' Rhynolite rims.
    The wheels are a little heavier than I'd like. I should have used lighter hubs, but I know he won't be on this bike long.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I built my son a 24" bike as well... Bought a GF Tyro complete off Craigslist for 60 bucks and stripped it to the bare frame. Made it a 1 x 10 with disc brakes, a 26er fork and built wheels using Shimano Deore hubs and Sunringle' Rhynolite rims.
    The wheels are a little heavier than I'd like. I should have used lighter hubs, but I know he won't be on this bike long.
    I set this up as 1x10, but the 10 speed on the shorter chainstays was to finicky for my daughter, so I went to 2x9. One of the reasons I built the wheels was to transition her to trigger shifters, and I didn't want to invest in 8spd technology. I really like the 36 tooth 29er cogged cassettes for the 1x10, but I guess I'll save that for the future... or maybe go for the 11spd that is supposed to be built specifically for 1x11 on her first 26er.

Wēk Ss
    Looks great!

Did you have problems with the spoke length? I had to add a bit more, as my initial spokes were too short from some spoke calculator. I'm not sure if it was the ERD that was off or the hub measurements.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Looks great!

Did you have problems with the spoke length? I had to add a bit more, as my initial spokes were too short from some spoke calculator. I'm not sure if it was the ERD that was off or the hub measurements.
    I measured the ERD myself, as I received the rims prior to ordering the spokes. But, the spoke options at 24" wheel sizes are limited. I would have preferred more precise spoke lengths, but in the end they got the job done.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Wheels turned out great. Did you weigh just the rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    I didn't, but I have another set. BRB...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    ~400g

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    I set this up as 1x10, but the 10 speed on the shorter chainstays was to finicky for my daughter, so I went to 2x9. One of the reasons I built the wheels was to transition her to trigger shifters, and I didn't want to invest in 8spd technology. I really like the 36 tooth 29er cogged cassettes for the 1x10, but I guess I'll save that for the future... or maybe go for the 11spd that is supposed to be built specifically for 1x11 on her first 26er.
    Really... What parts did you use? I set him up with a Shimano XT cassette, X7 med length derailleur and X7 shifter. It never misses a beat.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    ~400g

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ~400g
    Wow. Something is wrong when my "average" 29er wheelset is 150 grams lighter than a custom set of kids 24" wheels.
    Last edited by GSJ1973; 02-21-2013 at 05:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Wow. Something is wrong when my "average" 29er wheelset is 150 grams lighter than a custom set of kids 24" wheels.
    I believe your idea of "average" is the problem.
    Built some 24" Wheels-wheelset-compare-24.jpg

mtbr member
    Really... What parts did you use? I set him up with a Shimano XT cassette, X7 med length derailleur and X7 shifter. It never misses a beat.
    I used X7 short derailleur and X7 shifter, PG-1070 11-36 cassette. I took the parts off of my 29er to test before buying the parts. I could get it to shift well on the top or the bottom, but not both. Parts work great on the 29er. Perhaps the short cage is to blame.

mtbr member
    While I think the weight is reasonable, I'm sure a lighter wheelset could be made. I bought the hubs and rims from e-bay, and to get a decent set of hubs at a reasonable cost I had to settle for 32H. If budget were not a concern, then 28H would be lighter. I also built these up 3 cross, as this is my first set of wheels that I have built, so I wanted to follow as closely as possible the wheel building manuals that are out there. After market 24" rim choices are quite limited, and I believe the ACE20's are the lightest available. They are nice with eyelets and double wall. I have seen some Alex Z1000 rims that are lighter, but I can't find a source for them. They are single wall and not of the same quality for the rim brake surface anyway. I could have also gotten lighter hubs that are rim brake only, but I felt that future proofing the hubs by buying disk capable would be smart. Spoke lengths are also difficult at the 24" size. I had trouble finding double butted spokes in close enough lengths. I would like to have built a rim brake only set with 28H double cross... maybe next time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I believe your idea of "average" is the problem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheelset compare to 24.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	774075
    I had typed out a response somewhere along the lines you did, then said not worth the time.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    I might give it another try with a med length derailleur. Just to confirm, your son's bike is a 24", and is the cassette 11-36? Also, do you use a chain guide/catcher? I'd like to keep her bash on the big ring, so most guides I know off don't work with a bash and it seems like the cheaper chain catchers are only for the granny not the middle ring.
    Last edited by Asmodeus2112; 02-21-2013 at 10:19 AM.

turtles make me hot
    I might give it another try with a med length derailleur. Just to confirm, your son's bike is a 24", and is the cassette 11-36? Also, do you use a chain guide/catcher? I'd like to keep her bash on the big ring, so most guides I know off don't work with a bash and it seems like the cheaper chain catchers are only for the granny not the middle ring.
    It's a 24" Gary Fisher Tyro. it's 11-36. I put a 34 tooth Salsa chainring and bash guard on Sinz cranks. I use an N Gear Jumpstop attached to the frame to prevent the chain from dropping in. It all works well together. I'm pretty sure it's a Shimano chain.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2011
    While I think the weight is reasonable, I'm sure a lighter wheelset could be made. I bought the hubs and rims from e-bay, and to get a decent set of hubs at a reasonable cost I had to settle for 32H. If budget were not a concern, then 28H would be lighter. I also built these up 3 cross, as this is my first set of wheels that I have built, so I wanted to follow as closely as possible the wheel building manuals that are out there. After market 24" rim choices are quite limited, and I believe the ACE20's are the lightest available. They are nice with eyelets and double wall. I have seen some Alex Z1000 rims that are lighter, but I can't find a source for them. They are single wall and not of the same quality for the rim brake surface anyway. I could have also gotten lighter hubs that are rim brake only, but I felt that future proofing the hubs by buying disk capable would be smart. Spoke lengths are also difficult at the 24" size. I had trouble finding double butted spokes in close enough lengths. I would like to have built a rim brake only set with 28H double cross... maybe next time.

What you've built is great, please don't think I am knocking your build in any way. It's just frustrating to me that my Stans build is super light, but as you pointed out was $500 so not really cheap. I'm looking to do a new wheel set for my son to ditch his current uber heavy stock set but don't have the time, know how nor patience to go through what you've built up.

What tires did you end up going with?

Wēk Ss
    What you've built is great, please don't think I am knocking your build in any way. It's just frustrating to me that my Stans build is super light, but as you pointed out was $500 so not really cheap. I'm looking to do a new wheel set for my son to ditch his current uber heavy stock set but don't have the time, know how nor patience to go through what you've built up.

Asmodeus2112's listed weight is with skewers. Manufacturers list it without, AFAIK. You can knock approx 100g-200g off of it. That would be about the same as my ACE-20 build with Shimano hubs. My hubs are a good 100g over his.

Edit: You can buy the parts and have a shop lace it up for you. If I were to do it again, I would get some lighter hubs, the super cheap lightweight stuff (like Circus Monkey hubs). A kid won't put enough power out or have enough weight to really damage them like an adult would.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I have to ask, what Stans build do you have that is super light and costs $500?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast