Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Budget 26" build for 8 year old

My son is 8 and has been racing for 2 years. He is currently on a Specialized 24" FSR but is growing out of it fast. The seat post is just about fully extended. I am looking to build a 26" bike on a budget, keeping in mind that I know very little about bike parts. Could you recommend fairly low cost parts (even used parts would be good) that I can use for this build. I need exact part names as I am in the very early stages of understanding all of this bike language.

turtles make me hot
    If your son is racing, I'm not sure how budget you'll be able to keep this build...
    I'm currently doing exactly the same thing for my son.
    I wound up getting a great deal on a Specialized Myka 15" frame. I built him a 28 spoke Stan's Crest for a front wheel and an Arch EX for the rear wheel. I used a 32 spoke Shimano M529 hub in the rear. Setting it up 2x10.
    The one thing I'm not having any luck getting a deal on is a light air fork. If I want a Rockshox Reba or something equal, it's gonna be money.
    I like turtles

Havok

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Could you tell me what parts you are using for the 2x10 (deraileurs, cassette, shifters)?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I would like to build the bike for around $1000

turtles make me hot
    At least 26" stuff is more mainstream than 24". I spent more money on wheels and tires on the 24" bike than I ever dreamed and now I can only put it up for sale and hope for the best.
    I like turtles

Havok
    For a grand, I bet you can build a sweet bike for him. Do you have any parts to start with? IE. FRAME?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I know someone that knows someone that may have a frame. Other than that I have no parts and little knowlegde of bike parts. That is why I am looking for specific parts.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You would probably do well to watch local craigslist and try to get a nice older complete extra small 26" race bike. There are often some great deals to be found on very nice older lightweight bikes now that most adults are moving to larger wheels (27.5 & 29"). If you are willing to go with rim brakes instead of disks, the deals on great bikes are even sweeter.
    Unless you have a hoard of parts & bike knowledge, you will probably wind up spending much more $$ piecing together a bike than if you buy a complete used bike. For $1000 budget, you should be able to find a great bike and still have plenty leftover to upgrade any worn our outdated parts/tires/cables.

turtles make me hot
    I build all my kid's and wife's bikes with similar drivetrains. Good stuff but doesn't break the bank.
    Sram X7 shifters and rear derailleur, Shimano Deore, SLX or XT crankset... Whichever suits the build, SLX front derailleur, XT 11-36 cassette and either SLX brakes or whatever Avids I can get a good price on.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I set up all the kids bikes I have built (4) with 1x10 drive trains and it seems to work really well. Now with wolftooth's 42 tooth cog it makes it even better. Keeps the clutter and confusion down why they are building trail skill. I highly recommend short crank arms for kids. I have put 140-150mm on all the bikes I have built and that seems to be a great size. I have posted two of the builds I have done in this forum, one around a Orbea frame and one around a Ghost frame

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Can you post a link to those forums?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Here is a frame that my son's team mate's dad used. It weighs 3.24 lbs
    New Kinesis Aluminum Unbranded 26" Mtn Bike Frame Light | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrtmaster View Post
    Can you post a link to those forums?
    Ghost

And so it starts again! Ghost 26" build.

Orbea

XS Orbea D'Ella build for my son

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Clarkrw3,
    Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. Looking forward to seeing the finishing product on your daughter's bike.
    Anyone else that wants to chime in with their 26" build please chime in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Can you tell me a reasonabily priced 165mm crank/chain ring combination. I would like the middle gear of the chain ring to be 32t.

Thanks

mtbr member

What type of BB?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I don't have a BB yet either so info on all of those parts would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member

Well what is the bb shell on the frame? Is it English threaded?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    At this point I am in the process of trying to figure out what parts will work. I don't have the frame yet but I am considering either the Nashbar frame or the Kenisis frame.

mtbr member

It is my experience you should wait on the parts that touch the frame till you have the frame. ie. fork, bb, crank, headset etc. These parts are more frame specific.
    The hardest bb to find a short crank for is the press fit Shimano (pf92) etc because there are no options for adaptors. Threaded are the easiest then bb30. I use Sinz cranks in Isis or square taper if I can and in the 140-155mm range they are inexpensive on eBay and then just grab a inexpensive 32t chainring. The only draw back to using these cranks is they use 110 spacing for the chainring and no one makes a narrow wide style chain ring in 32t 110. If I could find an inexpensive short option for a crank in 104 I would be all over it!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks. I realize that I am getting the cart way ahead of the horse. Can you give me a link to a 32t chain ring that would work with this crank assuming that I will be using a square taper BB? I am going to be using a 9 speed 11-34 cassette and Shimano compatible 9 speed shifter. Also, If I go with just a single gear in the front, what chain guard would you recommend?

mtbr member
    I use these for a chain keeper

Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Parts and Accessories, Bicycle Tools and Maintenance

but once again you need to know the size of the down tube on your frame.

And I always forget that I want 32t but that in the shorty cranks that use 110mm spacing you can only go to a 34t so here is a inexpensive 34t
    Shimano Ultegra FC-6750 Chainring 34T

That is what you would need to use a Sinz crank like
    Sinz Expert Isis Crank Arms 145mm 110 BCD New | eBay

mtbr member
    This might be a good option for a 104mm

Bombshell Velocity Alloy Crankarm Set ISIS - Americancycle.com bmx bikes parts frames cranks wheels online sales acebmx

this would allow you to run a 30t or 32t narrow wide Race Face ring and loose the chain keeper all together

I just ordered one so I will check it out once it arrives. I really think the best combo for kids would be a 30t RF narrow wide with a Wolftooth 42t 10 speed cassette.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Clarkrw3,
    Thanks for the information. I would be interested to hear what you think of the Bombshell crank. What size did you order? I bought a 9 speed shifter so I won't be able to use a 10 speed cassette. Did you buy the BB with it? Do you have to use an ISIS BB with that crank? My son is going to test ride another kid's 26" bike this weekend with a 32 chainring and an 11-34 9 speed cassette. I am interested to see how that gearing works for him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast