Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    OP... Not trying to be a downer here, and I may be wrong, but I think you may be biting off more than you can chew.
    If you don't have any experience working on bikes, don't have spare parts from upgrading bikes, and don't know the difference between square taper, and ISIS, you will probably waste a bunch of time buying the wrong parts, and buying or borrowing tools you don't have, and your kid will be waiting very impatiently for a bike that will take forever to come to completion.
    I would suggest finding a good deal on a complete high quality XS bike, and changing/upgrading parts in the cockpit for proper fit to get your feet wet working on it.
    It really doesn't sound like you are up for a frame-up build at this point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have ordered a frame, front shock, race wheels and tires. I have learned a lot about bikes in 2 weeks. I am getting help from another Dad who's daughter is on my son's race team. Right now my biggest problem is finding a descent 165mm 104 bcd crank arm (2 weeks ago I didn't even know what those things were).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    165mm is probably still a bit long for an 8-year old. One option is to start with an older cheap 175mm crank, drill and tap new pedal holes to cut and convert it to 155mm. Hassle with this is getting ahold of the left/right thread pedal taps but most shops and co-ops will have these if you have access to a drill press to drill the hole.

mtbr member
    I ordered one of those cranks I posted a link to, it hasn't come yet but I think that will be the ticket for sure. What frame did you get? we need pictures or it isn't a thread BTW building something is the very best way to learn all sorts of cool info about bikes. As long as you have a little guidance and a willingness to learn I would never suggest to anyone to avoid the plung.

BTW I bought a 150mm for him, he is currently riding a 145mm

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Clarkw3,
    I agree. It a huge learning curve and I feel like I have come a long way in 2 weeks. I looked at a review on the cranks that you posted and they didn't have a lot good to say so I was put off by that. I do realize that reviews are opinions though.
    I bought a Nashbar 14" frame for $96 shipped and a RockShox SID XC shock. I will post pics as the build goes on. I am using the "earn the parts" system that you talked about and I think it is a great idea, although it didn't work very well this morning. That is a discussion for some forum other than biking. I am struggling with getting a budget 1x10 setup. It seems like a huge cost for these parts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Is a clutch derailleur required with a 1x10 setup using a narrow wide chainring without a chain guard?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrtmaster View Post
    Is a clutch derailleur required with a 1x10 setup using a narrow wide chainring without a chain guard?
    Great pick up on the frame and fork they should work perfect.

On the crank I haven't found any negative reviews other than people talking about weight limits but on a 140mm-155mm crank I would assume weight would not be an issue. Would love to find the review you are talking about.

The earning part system works great but it takes a lot of restraint on our part as parents and keeping to the system all the while getting the kid pumped about the end product...once they see it taking shape it tends to work better/faster. My daughter is an out of sight out of mind kind of person and so I sat it in the family room as a constant reminder.

Budget 1x10's shouldn't be that hard to do unless you are trying to go with a 42 big cog then they get pricey. Search the budget sites for deals...you have time... and when something comes up grab it.

To use a narrow wide without a chain guard I would highly suggest a clutch derailleur. X7 seems to typically be the least expensive but if you are against going SRAM you can find deals on XT clutch derailleurs you just usually have to be more patient and keep an eye out.

I will report back on the crank once it gets here. However, my general thoughts on cranks are they typically hold peddles and press into a bottom bracket.....not too much can go wrong as long as the person spinning them isn't crazy powerful...which my kids aren't.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrtmaster View Post
    I would absolutely without question use a clutch derailleur with any 1x set up, the sram X7 is a solid component. My son has X7 on his bike and it has been great. I would also run some type of chain retention system up front (maybe a Bionicon; Bionicon C.Guide V.02 Chainguide > Components > Drivetrain > Chain Tensioners and Guides | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop ) because dropping a chain during a race sucks, I've had it happen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longboarderj View Post
    I would absolutely without question use a clutch derailleur with any 1x set up, the sram X7 is a solid component. My son has X7 on his bike and it has been great. I would also run some type of chain retention system up front (maybe a Bionicon; Bionicon C.Guide V.02 Chainguide > Components > Drivetrain > Chain Tensioners and Guides | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop ) because dropping a chain during a race sucks, I've had it happen.

To each there own, but with a narrow wide chainring and a clutch derailleur I see no need to run a chain guide. I see NO one running a chain guide on their XX1 systems and that is what you are creating, a budget XO1 or XX1 system.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You probably don't need the chainguide with a wide/narrow set up, but it is extra piece of mind. My son would rather finish a race in last place because the other kids were faster than finish in last because his bike malfunctioned.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Let the build begin. Well, so far I have the frame, shock and wheels. It could be a while before my son earns all of the parts. I will take some pictures and list the parts.
    2 questions:
    1. When sizing the chain on a 1x10 setup I understand that I should put the chain on the front ring and then around the biggest cog on the cassette without going through the derailleur and bring the ends together. How many links of overlap should I keep to make up for the Shimano medium cage derailleur?
    2. Is their a link to a web site that shows how tight to torque all of the bolts on a mountain bike?

mtbr member
    Awesome!! I'm the wrong person to ask because I have never sized my chain that way...it might be the perfect way to do it but I learned from working in shops and just picked up stuff along the way. I have always put it around the chainring, and small cog through the derailler and then give it just a little tension.
    Also there are only a few bolts on I bike I use a torque wrench for, mainly carbon parts and BB...everything else is by feel.

turtles make me hot
    Most quality parts have the torque specs laser etched right on them next to the bolts.

The crankset I got from Surly for my fatbike says "No Ham Fisting" on the inside near the pedal threads.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

Budget 26" build for 8 year old

It is finally here

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    nice!
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ok, the bike build is slowly comming together. All of the parts are ordered. Here is the list of parts:

Frame - Nashbar MTB 14"
    Wheels - Mavic 2010 Cross Trail UST
    Rotors - Shimano XT on back, SLX on front
    Tires - Schwable Tubeless on front, Kenda Tubeless Small Block 8 Dual Component on back
    Derailleur - Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10 Speed
    Cassette - Shimano XT M771 10 Speed Cassette 11-36
    Chain - Shimano HT HG95 10 Speed Chain
    Shifter - Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Trigger Shifter
    Crankset - Shimano Deore M590 including bottom bracket
    Chainring - RaceFace single Ring Narrow Wide 32t (red)
    Headset - X-Lite Pro 1/18 Threadless (red)
    Brakes - Shimano Deore M615 hydraulic
    Shock - RockShox SID XC Dual Air
    Shock rebuild kit - RealWorldCycling
    Shock Oil 15Wt - Motorcycle-superstore
    Bars - Truvativ
    Grips - Oury
    Stem - 45mm
    Seat - bought used
    Seat Post - donated (may get a carbon fiber seat post)
    Seat Post Clamp - Gineyea quick release (red)
    Pedals - Shimano PD-M540 clipless from previous bike

Pics to follow

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Bike Pic

Here is a picture of the completed bike. My son loves it. I may finish it off with some carbon fiber goodies later but I am very happy with how the bike came out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Budget 26" build for 8 year old-new-bike-pic.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2