try driving your car less

Which brake post adaptor to run 24" wheel on 26" fork?

My son is almost nine and doing well on his 2004 Specialized Hot Rock FS 24 (not a Full suspension despite the name).
    The RST Capa T4 fork is heavy and does not really work.
    I just spent some time reading up on this forum and like the idea of a SID set at 63mm, something that could transfer over to the next bike.
    I don't want to do a new wheel and brakes to go to a front disc due to cost and hassle. Another dad is going to do that with a rigid carbon fork for 26".
    Is there a simple adaptor to space the brake bosses down an inch for his current wheel?
    I also know about the Paul Motolite brake but those are also $$.

I don't want to sink a ton of money right now because I would rather save it for when he can go to a 26" wheel bike. There are younger siblings but the bike is pretty good as-is right now, except the fork.

Thanks!
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    see the options and example solution at;
    FAQLoad - Modifying 26" fork for 24" wheels

I had already seen that. That is specific to the Mag21. I am looking more for something like this which goes from 26 to 700c, but goes from from 26 to 24
    V-Brake Adapter for 700c Wheels | Xtracycle, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    see the options and example solution at;
    FAQLoad - Modifying 26" fork for 24" wheels

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
    I had already seen that. That is specific to the Mag21. I am looking more for something like this which goes from 26 to 700c, but goes from from 26 to 24
    V-Brake Adapter for 700c Wheels | Xtracycle, Inc.
    The example solution was somewhat specific to a mag 21 but same page list a variety of other approaches for adapting brakes. I doubt that you will find an off-the-shelf bolt-on solution, you will need to have some creativity and fabrication skills to make v-brakes work on the fork. Perhaps one of the adapters designed for larger wheel size could be re-worked to instead position the studs lower instead of higher.
    If you want a completely bolt-together solution, go with disk brakes and a new wheel.

mtbr member
    One option wouild be to get a custom 24" wheel laced up with a disc hub. I bought a Sun CR-18 24" rim (around $20), a generic front disc hub off eBay (also around $20), and had to have custom spokes cut. I believe I got them from Cambria, for about $25. Then I laced it up, with help from the mechanic at my LBS. I paid standard shop fee for him to demonstrate how to lace the wheel, and then I took over from there, with occasional checks by the mechanic. It turned out perfect, and I spent about $100 total parts and labor.

I just ordered this thing to move the brake bosses. Not an entire inch of movement, but hopefully enough. I saw the threads of custom machined things... surprised I had to dig so far to find this... now I just have to find an old (cheap) SID
    https://www.danscomp.com/products/48...FQik4Aodzw4A0Q

UPDATE The adaptors do not work because I guess BMX bikes use a different (larger) threading for the brake studs. I could get some bolts to get the adaptors to mount, but would then also have to get some new studs with the BMX thread to go into the adaptors. I had no idea they were different. If I bought some new studs then it would line up... I just don't have them and am going to stop at this point.
    Total bummer because I really wanted this to work.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    There are many different thread sizes for brake studs. Fron the example photo it looks like its mounted on an aluminum frame which generally has larger mounts: 9mm or 10mm.
    Check here Search results :: Nova Cycles Supply Inc.
    or inquire at your LBS who should be able to get the correct size studs.

There are m 10 and m8 studs. I found the studs but then the little pin on the adaptors did not fit into the glee on the fork. The thing that prevents rotation.
    I also think the adaptor would interfere with the brake arm bought you could file something down to make it all work. I gave up, if anyone wants a go at it let me know and the adaptors are yours for half what I paid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You will not find an off-the-shelf solution. The closest thing is the Mavic 700c brake adapter which is like the xtracycle one you linked to. However, the adapter needs to be modified to work in the opposite way. ie. where the canti mounts are you need to bolt it to the fork mounts, and then bolt the brakes to the bottom of the adapter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My sons Haro had a ridiculous 7 pound fork. Going for the cheapest solution, I took a steel fork from a mid 80s rigid 26" bike to a local frame builder and had him weld new brake bosses an inch lower. It cost 25 bucks and was perfect, until I found a mag 20 to play with. If you read TigWorld's page closely, the instructions are all there for the drop brackets.