Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cheapo

Bought my daughter a full-face helmet, what a disappointment.

Looked around for the 2014 Fly Kinetic Inversion in pink Adult XS for my daughter. Found one on Amazon, bought it.

When I opened the box today all excitedly, I first noticed that the white bag it comes in (factory protect) was shoved inside the helmet instead of covering it. Pulled that out and found a few hairs in it, along with a "dirty" looking rear collar. Turned it over, covered in dust, and a few scratches and dings in it.

Wrote back to the seller on Amazon to see what their remedy will be. Frustrating! Disappointing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...uct_refresh_T1

cycle dad
    Dang. What seller?

Cheapo
    Got Gear Motorsports.
    Amazon.com At a Glance: Got Gear Motorsports

Awaiting response before prematurely leaving feedback.

cycle dad
    Hopefully they are quick. Everyone makes mistakes, but good companies fix stuff in a hurry.

Cheapo
    Yep. It's a 2014 model, so I imagine I'll be told 1 of 3 things:

1. Tough luck.
    2. We'll give you $xx refund to keep it.
    3. Return for full refund.

I don't think #1 will happen. I have to think if I want to keep it, at what price would be worthwhile.

mtbr member

Bought my daughter a full-face helmet, what a disappointment.

keeping the helmet it's a though one... I wouldn't do it, you don't know what it had been through to have a "been used" look and damage...

I'd aim for return and full refund

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Fly Kinetics a great helmet which just makes this sort of customer service a huge disappointment. It looks like its either been used or been a display model this tried on and maybe even dropped a few times. All the padding does come out and can be washed if you decide to keep it. The scratches are no too much of a drama (but certainly should not be there in a new product)
    but dings could be.

It's working!
    Well the seller looks committed to standing behind what they sell. I would have given them the chance to fix it before posting here. Maybe they will replace it and apologize. BUT I would ask them to replace and cover all shipping instead of a refund. Funny the only bad comment thatnwas not related to shipping involved a damaged helmet. I would be surprised if they didn't resolve this the right way.

Cheapo
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    Well the seller looks committed to standing behind what they sell.
    I hope so!

I would have given them the chance to fix it before posting here. Maybe they will replace it and apologize. BUT I would ask them to replace and cover all shipping instead of a refund. Funny the only bad comment thatnwas not related to shipping involved a damaged helmet. I would be surprised if they didn't resolve this the right way.
    I thought about it too. If they stand behind it, it works out in their favor, and the company will have a positive/favorable customer satisfaction review floating around here. I think it's important for consumers to see how companies handle things.

Cheapo
    Still no response, initiated Return Request through Amazon. We'll see what happens next.

mtbr member
    Thats not great news Dave88LX
    Its also one of the reasons i will only buy helmets from a person in a shop or a Mainstream Web dealer i.e. chain reaction etc
    MTB: Stumpy, Enduro, Hotrock, Commencal Supreme
    ROAD: Jamis Zenith, Pinarello Dogma

Cheapo
    Well, they responded to my return request:

Good Morning
    I packed up the helmet myself, we sent you a Brand New Helmet as per the description.
    Thanks Again

Outstanding. I'll be submitting them pictures.

It's working!
    Maybe send him a link to this post.

Cheapo
    Probably ought to. I replied with pictures. I understand mistakes happen, shipping errors happen etc. Own up to it. Make it right.

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no way that this is a new helmet "as per the description" and I've included images from when it was taken directly out of the box.

The first indication was the box was taped sloppily shut.
    The helmet was NOT inside the white protective shipping bag, it was simply tucked inside.
    There were hairs inside the helmet (unsanitary).
    The rear bottom of the helmet is dirty from rubbing on someone's neck.
    The helmet is covered in dust.
    There are chips in the finish.
    There are large scratches on the helmet.

PLEASE do not tell me this is a new helmet.

Awaiting your instruction. I initially contacted your company through Amazon the same day I received the helmet, but my message was ignored until I submitted a return today.

It's working!
    Brand new display model. I would bet on it.

Cheapo
    Display model that was ridden around the track a few times...LOL. Way too much dirt to be a display model. I'm more annoyed at the lack of response/brushing it off from the company at this point.

Cheapo
    I didn't hear anything the rest of yesterday, or this morning. I called the phone number around lunch time to see what was up. Terranaut called it, he said it's a new display model.

It's one thing to sell a filthy banged-up hair-filled display model if it is advertised as such and discounted to reflect the condition (I've bought many floor/display models before). It's not (IMO) OK to jam it in a box, sell it at full price, and advertise it as brand new.

Now at this point I'm hoping not to sound petty, but I just didn't like the guy's attitude. Sales dude cutting me off and talking over me, basically trying to make me feel dumb for not just knowing it was a display and that I was making a deal out of nothing. Said 1 in 10 helmets he hears this about. (Well man, that ought to tell you something about the way you are running things). No offer to reduce price, just that I can keep it and it's fine, or that he'd send me a return label.

He called me back about an hour later after he talked with the manager, and they offered to knock $20 off, but at this point I'd just rather deal with a different company, not one mis-representing items for sale, and needing to be contacted 3-4 times to get a resolution.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Unless its a perfect fit and your daughter is already in love with it I would be sending it back. More because of his attitude than anything else. If you are looking for another option I have had excellent service from BTO Sports for buying bmx clothes, helmets and protective gear.

My favourite girls helmet -
    http://www.btosports.com/mm5/graphic...met-purple.jpg
    Looks much better is person. Or this is the 2015 pink Fly kinetic ($89.95)
    http://www.btosports.com/mm5/graphic...elmet-pink.jpg

cycle dad
    Thanks for letting us all know. I hope the guy reads this forum and learns from his behavior.

mtbr member
    Sounds like your minds made up and I thnk Id be dosing the same considering how it looks and how theyve avoided an honest advert and response.
    I would try an speak directly to the manager to explain and would also put it in writng.

If they cant be honest then you cant trust whats been said even now and if they were in your position they would do exactly the same.
    MTB: Stumpy, Enduro, Hotrock, Commencal Supreme
    ROAD: Jamis Zenith, Pinarello Dogma

It's working!
    Did you send them a link to this? I will never buy from them based on your experience. Thanks for sharing.
    You'd think they would just send you a new helmet. Tisk tisk.

It's working!
    Any follow up?

mtbr member
    Hi Dave,

It's a bummer your experience has been so miserable. Have you attempted to reach out to Fly directly?

Bought my daughter a full-face helmet, what a disappointment.-savara-celebrity-fullface-helm-2013-pink-75787.jpg

In case you decide to go a different route with your next helmet purchase, you should check out our Savara Full Face. Not only is it available in Pink, but it retails for a similar price point, and has a fiberglass shell. Most helmets in this ~hundred dollar price point use an ABS shell, which we have found in testing does not provide enough protection in chinbar impacts.
    Smaller, Lighter, Safer

Cheapo
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    Any follow up?
    Nothing new to report, double-checked the sizing on my daughter tonight, and I'll be sticking the new label on it tomorrow and sending it off back!

Cheapo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaliprotectives View Post
    Hi Dave,

It's a bummer your experience has been so miserable. Have you attempted to reach out to Fly directly?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	savara-celebrity-fullface-helm-2013-pink-75787.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	938586

In case you decide to go a different route with your next helmet purchase, you should check out our Savara Full Face. Not only is it available in Pink, but it retails for a similar price point, and has a fiberglass shell. Most helmets in this ~hundred dollar price point use an ABS shell, which we have found in testing does not provide enough protection in chinbar impacts.
    I didn't bother contacting Fly, just their seller. No point really talking with them, as it's a 2014 model anyways.

I haven't heard of Kali, but that doesn't mean anything because I am new to the scene. I only know the big names with big advertising budgets.

I see you only have one post here, are you Brad? Tell us a bit about your company!

I will take a look at your site and look into your helmets, good to know about other options. Where is that helmet listed?

I don't see that color scheme, and I really like it. SAVARA™ - Kali

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast