Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mijustin View Post
    How old is he?

It seems like there's quite an age range that use Minis - ages 3-6?
    Redline has a size guideline for their bikes. Kids heights range quite a bit.

My son at 8y/o still rides his mini.

My daughter at 4-1/2 can't fit it.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    This article mentions fitting a Redline micro mini with 18x1.5" Schwalbe Marathon racer tires.

VeloNews test: Raceable kids bike, in time for Christmas

Does anyone know if they will they really fit the stock frame and fork? There seems to be hardly any space left at least in the front to fit a bigger tire...

TIA,

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Best options are probably:
    PRIMO Champ Slic 18x1 (19x400C) ISO ERTRO 355mm
    Schwalbe Stelvio 28-355 18x1.125"
    Schwalbe Kojak 32-355 18x1.25"

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I ordered these: Schwalbe Stelvio 28-355 18x1.125", but they are too small, how very, very confusing. Schwalbe 28-355 is not the same size as the Primo ERTO 355mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The Schwalbe Marathon Racer 18x1.5 are also too small. WAY too small.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just bought my 4.5yr old daughter and Intense Micro (2009, 2nd hand) and she managed to ride it after 10 minutes of instruction. It was her absolute first time on a bicycle with her only experience being a pedaling on a cheap China made trike, a Razor scooter to help develop her balance and a couple of turns on her younger bro's Strider which is way too small for her to use properly. I've gotta say that buying this bike was about the best decision ever! Something I would have never considered had I not stumbled across this thread. Thanks to all who posted in here and gave me the confidence to buy this bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My son has a Redline Micro and I am looking to replace the Primo slicks with something that has a little more volume and tread. From the posts above, it sounds like the Schwalbe tires listed do not fit? Does anyone have a suggestion?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mijustin View Post
    How old is he?

It seems like there's quite an age range that use Minis - ages 3-6?
    he was in kindergarden then, so, yeah like 5-6.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wiruth View Post
    My son has a Redline Micro and I am looking to replace the Primo slicks with something that has a little more volume and tread. From the posts above, it sounds like the Schwalbe tires listed do not fit? Does anyone have a suggestion?
    After ordering the wrong Schwalbe's, I didn't want to take another guess, and just ordered the original Primo Champion slics:

Primo Champion Slic Micro Mini Tire 18 x 1" 110psi Black Skinwall. 18 x 1" (19 x 400c) 120tpi, ISO Diameter = 355mm

I'd advise to only buy alternative tires if you can measure the inside diameter yourself, or have it measured for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by djska View Post
    After ordering the wrong Schwalbe's, I didn't want to take another guess, and just ordered the original Primo Champion slics:

Primo Champion Slic Micro Mini Tire 18 x 1" 110psi Black Skinwall. 18 x 1" (19 x 400c) 120tpi, ISO Diameter = 355mm

I'd advise to only buy alternative tires if you can measure the inside diameter yourself, or have it measured for you.
    I just bought another Intense but this time an Intense Junior XL and I realized that the standard tires are a 20 x 1'1/8" versus the 20 x 1" on the Micro. They've got considerably a fatter profile and are much better IMO. I'm going to order a set to retrofit on the Micro.
    (for the time being while my daughter is still using the Micro I just switched the wheelsets over as they're an exact match.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This thread is awesome and full of great info!
    Last edited by mr_fungle; 06-13-2013 at 09:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Did you ever find anything that fits? I would also like to find something with a little more grip.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    i am in the exact situation. just picked up a used Redline Micro for my daughter. come to find out, getting 18" tires is extremely difficult
    I am looking for something with a little more tread like the Kenda Powerblock 8. I know these are available for the 20" wheel, but for the 18??
    Does anybody know if a 20" wheel will fit on a Redline Micro?

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just bringing this up in case some people aren't aware, but there are other really nice alternatives to these kinda bikes that will fit 3-4 year olds-my son is on a Spawn Banshee and we're running 2.4" knobbies and the thing is still super light.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    sorry to hijack this thread but i need some help. Son will turn 7 11/6 and he is on medium smaller side if you can say that. Being he is asian we are not that tall but not short by any means. thing is i bought him a used junior redline and it seems a tad big for him as he is tippy toeing when seated on the bike and at a stand still. the seat is lowered all the way. By looking at the other BMX kids, they can all sit comfortably on their bikes with their feet flat on the ground while my boy seems to be tippy toeing around. should i go for a mini frame and just part out his junior and transfer it back to the junior when he is taller? thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    How tall is your son? It sounds as if he might be too big for a junior and a mini might be better. There is one exception that I have found - the DK mini's and juniors sizing is weird. minis are recommended only up to 3'10" and juniors are 3' 10" to 4' 5". My kid is over 4' so he rides the junior sized DK. In other bike brands, he would be on a mini.
    ELEVATE CYCLES | FTW FACTORY RACING | ODI | NEMA | 661| AZONIC | SPY

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

BMX mini or micro mini?

he is a little under 3'10'ish. I've read up on sizing, albeit AFTER i bought the bike (duh), but it really comes down also to personal comfort too right? And if he looks " stretched" out and tippy toeing on the bike and not sitting comfortably when at a stand still then maybe its too big?

problem is he really doesn't know what should be considered comfortable nor do i for that matter

mtbr member
    How long is your riding season? Ours is starting to shut down (unless you ride through the winter like I do through cold and rain...) By Spring time, he'll be fitting that bike perfectly probably.

You can try raking the handle-bar back a bit if he looks stretched.

And yeah, I agree that it's all about feeling comfortable on the bike. You could buy a used mini, let him ride for a year, then sell it off and transition into the junior.

Is he a new rider? If not, just let him know he's not supposed to touch the ground while seated. He needs to stand up.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsy971 View Post
    he is a little under 3'10'ish. I've read up on sizing, albeit AFTER i bought the bike (duh), but it really comes down also to personal comfort too right? And if he looks " stretched" out and tippy toeing on the bike and not sitting comfortably when at a stand still then maybe its too big?

problem is he really doesn't know what should be considered comfortable nor do i for that matter
    it sounds like it's too big. i think it's important for kids (or adults) who are learning riding to be able to confidently put their feet down.

maybe checking out some bmx racing would give you an idea of how other kids fit on their mini's.
    BMX Racing 5 year olds @ Manzanita Main Event 8-12-10 .avi - YouTube

Havok
    My son has a Redline Micro and he is still a little stretched out on it. It has 18" wheels. He's almost 5 and almost 4 feet tall. It took a while for him to get used to the bike. It's much different than his MTB.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    On a BMX bike, your legs shouldn't even be close to stretched out when sitting.
    If you ever check out the bike set-ups at a race, you'll see that you can't even pedal them while seated without your knees hitting you in the chest. If you've got the seat slammed down where it should be and he's still on tippy-toes to reach the ground, the bike is for sure a lot too big.

ie - The kid on the orange bike in this pic looks too small for it (or at least the seat and bars are way too high - you can see how he looks like he's stuck up on a perch compared to the other kids (mine's in the middle) who have a lot of room to move around on their bikes. In my experience, when it comes to having a kid really learn how to handle a bike, you need to take the sit-down option right out of the picture. The seat is there to rest on when your stopped and to prevent impalement, and that's it. You want them on a bike where they can move all around, and one they can get away from really easily if they need to.

BMX mini or micro mini?-12.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i am here in Hawaii so we ride pretty much all year around. He just started riding the track but not racing yet (fingers crossed he will). We have been to the track numerous times both as spectators and participants and the reason I brought this question up is that at the track I have noticed how others are sitting on their bike and he just didn't look right to me all stretched out.

I also raked the handlebars back a little as traffic002 said and swapped the 165mm arms on the junior with 140mm arms. I am trying to make the bike as comfortable for him as possible and YES he needs to learn how to stand! He keeps sitting for the most part and gets stuck on the 2nd to last table top. I removed his seat at home to force him to stand and he rides back and forth a little to get the feel.

Alas I think my own thinking has been confirmed by the responding posts and I bought him a used intense podium mini xl which I will just swap parts from the junior. Hopefully when he is older and taller AND he is still riding we can switch back to the junior and sell off the intense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My 4 and 5 year olds ride these bikes and with the seat in the comfortable position for feet flat on the ground their knee bend will be too extreme on the top of the pedal stroke. Basically your kids need to ride standing up on these bikes. The seat should be put at a height where they can just touch the ground, not quite flat footed but not fully tippy toed either. Get them to practice riding around (not at the track) standing up until they get comfortable with it.
    Next step is to teach them how to start and stop without using the seat. (braking while standing and then stepping off the pedals when the bike comes to a stop).
    Once they can do this and they are fully comfortable you can raise the seat so that they can only touch one foot to the ground when they are slightly shifted to one side. This should work best as a combo position. For fully powered up riding though they should always be standing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

BMX mini or micro mini?

anyone got some spare "not too expensive" used mini parts for sale? need fork, stem, low rise bar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2