mtbr member
    Feb 2012

BMX Micro Mini 18x1" tyre options

Hi

I bought my son a Haro Micro Mini. It runs on 18 Sun Assault rims and 18x1" Primo Slic tyres.

I'd like to swap the OEM tyres with something a bit more wider or at least something with a bit more grip, like 18x1.125" or even 8x1.5". I've searched the web and get confusing information.

BMX mini or micro mini?

Seems that the only options are

Schwalbe Stelvio 28-355 18x1.125"
    Schwalbe Kojak 32-355 18x1.25"
    Schwalbe Marathon Racer 18x1.5"

But they seem to be unusable on the OEM rim.

Are there any other options?

Thanks' in advance!

Havok
    I ran into this same problem, I didn't find anything either. I sent a few emails to Kenda and continental but no luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Primo slic is the only option

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Apparently the OEM tyre bead diameter is 400mm. The only option I've found is Raleigh Record (18 x 1 3/8 (ETRTO 37-400).

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako74 View Post
    Apparently the OEM tyre bead diameter is 400mm. The only option I've found is Raleigh Record (18 x 1 3/8 (ETRTO 37-400).
    Have you actually tried these tires with that rim? I just bought a 2009 Redline Proline Micro and I'm trying to understand the tire options. The rims are Sun M13II 18 x 1. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I bought my son a Redline micro mini a few years ago and took it back the next day in exchange for the mini. I didn't realize it had 18" rims until I got it home. He grew out of the mini, upgraded to a Junior and this summer went to a 13" frame 26" wheel MTB. I have other kids that ride the BMX bikes still but none have shown interest in racing BMX.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi everyone I am looking for the Sun Assault 18 x 1 inch rim. I have been trying to find it and am told it is best just to get from someone who has up graded from that original wheel

Thanks

Eric Mobley

323-440-4331

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Great Thread Here. I have also been contemplating switching the 1 3/8" tire conversion on a micro mini that is now retired as a racer but we use for the kids to ride to school. The primo slics are great tires but don't handle sand, gravel, wood chips, and wide cracks well.

Great tip Mako74 on the tires. I decided to try it out. Here is the scoop:

The Raleigh Record tires are difficult to get in the states, even hard to find a vendor that would ship them. We had a friend in London pick up a set and drop them off when they came into town.

The tire mounting was pretty straight forward other than a little tight bead, talc helped a lot to ease the process. I couldn't find presta 1 3/8" tubes locally so I just went with 18x1" and they work OK, but may not have great durability. I actually think a tubeless conversion would be the way to go, but already had tube so I didn't spend an extra $40 on the kit.

I immediately ran into a problem trying to mount the front wheel as the tire didn't clear the fork crown/steerer tube. I debated heavily if I really wanted to modify the fork, but ended up choosing to. I figure its hard to hurt the value of the bike too much since it has already been raced quite a bit and now been used as an around town bike.

My main concern about modifying the fork was whether I could do it safely without compromising the weld integrity. I determined I could and set out with an angle grinder and a metal half round file. The other concern about this is did I really want to do all this work and then have to paint the fork...seriously just to fit some bigger tires...but I dove in.

The project turned out great, and my daughter loves the new wider tires for riding. If you are up for a little project, the Raleigh tires are a nice upgrade for non hardpack racing.

I would love to hear if anyone does a tubeless conversion.

Pics are here so you can see the project

BMX Micro Mini 18x1" tyre options-picture5.jpgBMX Micro Mini 18x1" tyre options-picture3.jpgName:  Picture10.png
Views: 305
Size:  387.9 KBBMX Micro Mini 18x1" tyre options-picture9.jpgBMX Micro Mini 18x1" tyre options-picture8.jpgBMX Micro Mini 18x1" tyre options-picture6.jpgBMX Micro Mini 18x1" tyre options-picture4.jpgName:  Picture2.png
Views: 303
Size:  364.0 KBBMX Micro Mini 18x1" tyre options-picture7.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by rockbronc View Post
    Great Thread Here. I have also been contemplating switching the 1 3/8" tire conversion on a micro mini that is now retired as a racer but we use for the kids to ride to school. The primo slics are great tires but don't handle sand, gravel, wood chips, and wide cracks well.

Great tip Mako74 on the tires. I decided to try it out. Here is the scoop:

The Raleigh Record tires are difficult to get in the states, even hard to find a vendor that would ship them. We had a friend in London pick up a set and drop them off when they came into town.

The tire mounting was pretty straight forward other than a little tight bead, talc helped a lot to ease the process. I couldn't find presta 1 3/8" tubes locally so I just went with 18x1" and they work OK, but may not have great durability. I actually think a tubeless conversion would be the way to go, but already had tube so I didn't spend an extra $40 on the kit.

I immediately ran into a problem trying to mount the front wheel as the tire didn't clear the fork crown/steerer tube. I debated heavily if I really wanted to modify the fork, but ended up choosing to. I figure its hard to hurt the value of the bike too much since it has already been raced quite a bit and now been used as an around town bike.

My main concern about modifying the fork was whether I could do it safely without compromising the weld integrity. I determined I could and set out with an angle grinder and a metal half round file. The other concern about this is did I really want to do all this work and then have to paint the fork...seriously just to fit some bigger tires...but I dove in.

The project turned out great, and my daughter loves the new wider tires for riding. If you are up for a little project, the Raleigh tires are a nice upgrade for non hardpack racing.

I would love to hear if anyone does a tubeless conversion.

Pics are here so you can see the project

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Just so people know I just ordered these tires from eBay for $65 shipped. Thank you rockbronc for the info! I've gone through 6 pairs of Primos and I'm tired of spending the money. VEE tires has an 18x1 now but they wouldn't return my emails or calls so I dong know when they'll be available.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    rockbronc- alternative way to get a bit more tire/crown clearance is to fill-in the dropout slot a bit so that the axle sits further away. Probably best way is to weld or braze the slot but you can also try affixing small metal spacers with epoxy, might hold up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    rockbronc- alternative way to get a bit more tire/crown clearance is to fill-in the dropout slot a bit so that the axle sits further away. Probably best way is to weld or braze the slot but you can also try affixing small metal spacers with epoxy, might hold up.
    I'm giving the bike to my daughter so I was going to paint it anyway. How are those tires holding up?