Thread: The Black Pearl

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

The Black Pearl

My10 year old daughter and I just finished our 1st joint bike build. It was a blast building it with her help and she really liked being a part of everything from picking out parts and colors to bolting on components. We can't wait to get it out on some light trails and see how she does.

Thanks to On-One USA, Blue Sky Cycling, Chain Reaction, Ozark Bike Shop, and my parts bin.

The build was:
    Frame: On One Scandal (extra small, 660mm standover)
    Fork: On One rigid
    Drivetrain: 1x9 Sram X-9 der, X-5 shifter, Suntour 152mm crankset
    Wheels: Fulcrum RedMetal 10
    Brakes: Avid BB5

Her favorite part was probably naming the bike & designing the 3M vinyl sticker:
    Scandal 29 | Reba 29 RL | XTR 1X9 | Avid Elixir cr | C29ssMax UST | Geax Saguaro TNT
    Pardon my English. I live in Arkansas.

mtbr member
    Now that's a cool deal!

My daughter had her bike ripped off at UCSC and I'm gonna help her get another.
    She's in SF for the summer and I'm thinking... single speed with a freewheel (she's not an avid biker and a fixie probably won't warm her heart to it either )

I want to help her build one up, but not too fancy in case it gets ripped off too.

Nice looking bike! Have fun riding together!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The top cup on the headset doesn't look like it's pressed all the way in. I'd get that taken care of asap.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanbike View Post
    The top cup on the headset doesn't look like it's pressed all the way in. I'd get that taken care of asap.
    I agree it does look weird. It was pressed by the guys at Titus before they shipped it. I had the LBS check it to be sure it was OK because I thought the same thing. He knocked it out and repressed it and it looks the same. It's rock solid.
    Scandal 29 | Reba 29 RL | XTR 1X9 | Avid Elixir cr | C29ssMax UST | Geax Saguaro TNT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    jealous.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Looks great! You are one lucky father to have a daughter like that, and I have one just like yours. She's also 10 and gets interested/involved in almost everything I do. We rebuilt my motorcycle's engine a couple years ago together, and last week we did the tubeless conversion on her bike. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We've hit a few light trails lately. I've noticed upper body strength can be an issue when larger rocks turn her wheel. But she puts in a solid effort and has taken a few small downhills. She's starting to break through the barrier of fear. It's been a lot of fun developing a new riding partner. It's going to be a while before I take her on slightly more difficult trails but so far, so good.