mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Bike Trailers for kids

Hey, I'm wondering what is the earliest I can put my 9mo daughter in one and what safety issues should I be looking for? Also what are good recommendations for economic double trailers as we are expecting again? Preferably one that can be pulled behind a 29er and a 700c road bike. Any that work better at the beach/off terrain than other brands? If this has already been addressed in another thread, feel free to point me to it.

mtbr member
    I towed my kids from that age - using an infant carrier strapped in the trailer. As long as she's well supported and comfortable. I had a Burley D'lite. It's a tight squeese for two small kids that can sit in the regular seat, but not enough for a carrier + another kid. The 20" wheels are probably better for sand than some of the smaller wheeled offerings.

This biggest risk, of course, is if you are riding on the streets with cars. One thing to think about; at a stop light, you will be up high on your bike, but the kids are right at the same level as an SUV exhaust.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thank you for responding. I plan to do most my riding at Oak Mt state park here in Birmingham, AL; its right in my back yard. Even the road riding has challenges, but I just want to keep her safe in a trailer. The fumes from stopped vehicles is something to consider; but I think it will be safest to keep the weight low in a trailer as opposed to the seatpost mount carriers which only add to top heavy weight. I will look around for a used Burly if possible. Any other brands to look for and to avoid?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Basing this off of just surfing the web and no first hand experience, I think the two brands to get are Burley and Chariot. There's a thread further down here that looks like it has comparisons of the two and might mention a couple of other brands.

When I was looking for a used one briefly, it looks like there are more used Burley trailers available compared to Chariot. Might just be the time of year though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nmint View Post
    Hey, I'm wondering what is the earliest I can put my 9mo daughter in one and what safety issues should I be looking for? Also what are good recommendations for economic double trailers as we are expecting again? Preferably one that can be pulled behind a 29er and a 700c road bike. Any that work better at the beach/off terrain than other brands? If this has already been addressed in another thread, feel free to point me to it.
    I have put a ton of miles with my kids in both a Chariot Cougar 1 and Cougar 2. I recommend it highly.

mtbr member
    I also use the Chariot Cougar, and started with my son at about 6 months (with an infant insert). He had a very strong neck though and at that point I only went on a paved path. I now take him to daycare inside the chariot and love the trailer.
    FirstBike Balance bikes in Canada http://www.scampergear.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have a burley encore and it works great. Keeps the little one dry, I started a little over a year old in it. The only think I don't like is the netting behind the seat, keeps pushing helmet up from the back and over her eyes. Sometimes on sierratradingpost website they get some of these and if there is a coupon going on, the deal can't be beat. Chariots are definitely a step above the burleys. I can fit 3 little ones at long as they are all less than 100lb in total.

mtbr member
    x3 on the Chariot Cougar line. AKA the instant sleep machine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    With three kids we used a combination of Chariot single and double trailers. We also have a couple of Burley Piccolo tag a long bikes and both companies make excellent products with really good resale value as well.