offroader
    Dec 2008

Bike recommendations girls 7yrs

Looking for bike recommendations for a 7 year old. Would like to take her off roading maybe to a dh park on some easier trails. Would like disc brakes. Suspension would be nice as well.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    Looking for bike recommendations for a 7 year old. Would like to take her off roading maybe to a dh park on some easier trails. Would like disc brakes. Suspension would be nice as well.
    Here is a fitting chart from Islabikes. Get an accurate height and inseam measurement and post back if she's in the size range for their 20" or 24" sizes.

http://islabikes.com/us/bike_pages/p...rt-USA_web.pdf

20" bikes with disc brake mounts are still relatively uncommon. There was a thread specifically about this. Norco and Kona were the only two available in my area. I don't remember the others save for some more expensive brands. Giant has made 20" bikes with disc brake mounts but the current one I looked at did not have them.

If she's ready for a 24" bike I suspect you'll have more options.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Cool thanks

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    Cool thanks
    No problem. And here's the other thread about 20" bikes with rear disc brake mounts.

A 20" Wheeled Frame with rear disc brake tabs?

There are ways to fabricate a disc brake mount for the rear of bikes but then you'll need to source a 110 mm rear disc compatible hub and re-lace the wheel. If you dig into the archives a bit you'll find examples of this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    My 8 year old daughter rides an Islabike Beinn 20" small, and I highly recommend it, despite not having suspension or disc brakes. The magic of it is that it is light (17 lbs), has a reasonably low gear (32-32), and the geometry is spot-on. If your daughter will do any XC uphill or pump track riding, weight and proper geometry are king. If she'll only ride DH, suspension and discs become more important.

If you must have suspension and disc brakes, Spawn Cycles Savage 2.0 is reasonably light at 22 lbs.