mtbr member

bike rack recommendation

hi there, I have a friend with a subaru forester and wants to mount a bike rack so she and her kids can ride. she doesn't have a hitch mount but really likes those type of racks. currently on yakima, but doesn't use it much. subaru wants $450+200 install for the hitch. What would you guys/gals recommend for 3 bikes? and is mounting a hitch hard? thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Re: bike rack recommendation

I put a non OEM receiver hitch on my wife's Subaru legacy wagon. Fairly easy to bolt on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a 2010 forester, the dealer advised me to have the hitch installed aftermarket due to the insane price of the stock hitch. Also, the stock hitch is 1 1/4", which isn't what I wanted.

I'd advise her to find a reputable local company that installs hitches. I had a 2" hitch installed for less than $200 for everything (barely more than the hitch), including the hitch. That would leave $400+ for a pretty nice rack. I personally run a yakima holdup 2", but there are very nice options from thule and kuat as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm actually wondering the same thing too. The receiver hitch can certainly be done after market. I'm just not sure what bike rack would be a good choice. The kids bikes don't have a long top tube, actually it doesn't even run parallel. I'm wonder what good options are out there for two adult and two children bikes.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    After having a tray style, I'll never own another type of rack. Easy, quick loading, even my daughters 20 inch bike.
    No dealing with stupid bars going from the stem to the seatpost etc..

916XTR T2 - Thule
    918XTR T2 Add-on for 916XTR - Thule
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I completely agree with TwoTone, for ease of use (once attached to car/truck) the tray style racks are the best.

However, the downside to a tray style is weight. If you take a yakima holdup 2" (~50 lbs) and add the attachment to hold a total of 4 bikes (~45 pounds) you're looking at nearly 100 pounds. Most other brands will be similar. I'm a fairly large guy and can deal with a 100 pound rack, however some people wouldn't be able to deal with it by themselves. They'd either need to leave it on the car or have someone available to help.

turtles make me hot
    Trailer Hitch for 2012 Subaru Forester | etrailer.com

I picked 2012 just as a guideline. Draw Tite hitches come as complete kits and install quickly and easily. I'd get that and a Thule T2.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Not to be sexist, but I suspect most women and many men wouldn't want to deal with installing their own hitch. I've done several and it's not especially hard, but you have to heft it into place and losing hardware in the frame rails could be problematic.

I would recommend getting a hitch installed at a u-haul or something similar.

I'd also second the opinion that for kids' bikes, a tray style carrier is the way to go. If money is not a problem, I like the 1upusa.com carriers, but you're looking at $700 to carry 3 bikes. The up side is that the add-ons for additional bikes can be added 1 bike at a time so no single piece is too heavy.