mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Bike for my 4 year old

My four year old is rapidly outgrowing his simple WalMart 12" 2-wheeler and I want to upgrade him to a bike with handbrakes and gears. Would love to get him on something that he could begin to learn how to ride off-road on. He loves riding his bike and would selfishly love to raise him into a shredder so I can have a riding partner someday soon.

Any recommendations on where to start for a next bike option? Would ideally like to spend no more than $500 given he is obviously still growing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    How tall is he? When my boys were that age, we pretty much had them on walmart bikes until they were big enough for some Norco rigids with 24" wheels. The oldest then graduated to a hand-me-down rigid with 26" wheels and they're now both on 27.5" hard tails (they are 12 and 13 now). They both want FS but they are growing way too fast to spend the money on those :-) Canyon seems to make some really great kids bikes (https://www.canyon.com/en/kids/), but not sure if they're readily available in NA. Most of the NA manufacturers seem to all have good kids bikes that start at 20" wheels which is likely way too big for your son. Smaller ones tend to be similar to Walmart bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    That makes sense, thanks for the quick response. I would say he is pretty average height for his age, not sure exactly but I think you are probably right re: sticking to WalMart bikes at this age. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    there are some older threads of 16" shredder bike builds. My son has just outgrown his 16" bike, but it is more XC with a rigid fork and single speed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Easy man, Spawn Yoji 16 370$. It's a phenomenal bike and may very well be half the weight too of a Walmart bike. Best kids bike in that size by a mile. Full free wheel with Shimano compatible cog/hub and nice 64 bcd alloy cranks that you can swap size and chainring easily too (helps early on). 14lbs. It's kind of a hybrid little trail/BMX bike. Get him that, cut the seatpost down and slam it permanently. Get him to ride standing up asap and soon enough he will be able to ride some easy downhill trails bumping along slowly. If you want him to shred. Walmart bike will definitely hold him back, especially if he shows some aptitude. Hit the bmx track and skate parks too.

Dont underestimate the little dudes. He could be clearing gaps in a year and riding blue downhills with you if he really loves it.

mtbr member
    Check out the used Early Rider Belter 16" in the classifieds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by maxflia View Post
    Check out the used Early Rider Belter 16" in the classifieds.
    I don't know how much shipping would add, but that looks like a really good deal. You could probably get $200 for it when your kid out grows it a couple years from now. I really liked the Early Rider and wanted to get it for our 4 yo daughter but ended up with a Cleary Hedgehog due to no available stock for the Belter at the time. The Spawn looks like a nice bike too.

Not many options for a geared 16" that I know of. I've wondered if gears wouldn't be more distraction than help for younger kids. The next bike we get will definitely have gears though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd also agree with skipping the gears at this point.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Aside from a 14" bmx as an alternative idea, you might also check out Stampede Bikes. Affordable and well designed alternative to the Spawn Yoji. Stay away from gears at this point. Too expensive,heavy,complex and so on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Height is key here since a tall 4 yo could be on the verge of being able to ride a 20" bike, where there's suddenly a ton of selection, and with gears. Else it's a single speed 16" bike where I'd second @svinyard's recommendation of a Spawn Yoji 16, which is great for off-road riding and modifiable to add a second gear.

My son transitioned to a 20" Spawn Savage 2 when he was 43" tall (just barely!). There are many similar geometry 20" bikes out there. The huge advantage was the gears since he could then climb hills with much less effort and ride trails in a slower/easier gear while keeping pedal cadence. And a 20" wheel rolls over rocks and roots a lot better than a 16" wheel.

(Note, initially I had to do the gear shifting for him, but he figured it all out surprisingly fast)

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    Aside from a 14" bmx as an alternative idea, you might also check out Stampede Bikes. Affordable and well designed alternative to the Spawn Yoji. Stay away from gears at this point. Too expensive,heavy,complex and so on.
    We have one of these Stampede sprinters and the Yoji. The stampede sucks for the price. Bottom bracket is trash and rusted (not sealed) , it's 4lbs heavier and the seat started to disintegrate in the first 3 months. Free wheel wasn't entirely round and was ultra Chinese proprietary so no Lbs could get a new one. Same thing with the cranks and chainring too when we tried to update. Tires went bald super fast as well. For the money the Yoji is just light years beyond in quality. Stampede had nice customer service tho... like really really good. Nice people there and their brake handles for kids are nice sized big time and cheap. FWIW this was a bike from a couple years ago, they may be better now. Regardless Yoji is the dopeness for young guys and the fact that it's a hybrid bmx kind of bike is a huge deal to me for skill development. The geo and design is WAAAAYYY different than Stampede in a good way. Imagine shaving 4lbs off your adult bike for only a 120$! You'd do that in a heartbeat ☺️

Esto Vir
    WOOM bikes. Awesome bike with a trade-in program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Focus on technique and save the puking for later. - L. McCormack

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The Woom 3 for $369.00 US is also a very nice bike that is very light with great kid geometry and hand brakes. Only weighs 12.7 pounds.
    https://us.woombikes.com/products/3

Dont buy a Walmart bike. If you donít want to spend that much Giant makes some great kids bikes that you can get for around $150.00 in 16 inch.

Esto Vir
    Here is my 5.5 year old on the first day of owning a WOOM 3. Seat is a little low but she took off before I could adjust it.Bike for my 4 year old-img_0116.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Spawn is great. A micro mini BMX race bike also works really well for firm surfaces. It's key to get the crank length right and q factor as tight as possible.

My guy at his 4th bday party. He is on a micro mini with 110mm straight cranks and a 103mm bb and shreds on it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Esto Vir
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post

My guy at his 4th bday party. He is on a micro mini with 110mm straight cranks and a 103mm bb and shreds on it!

Awesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Spawn is great. A micro mini BMX race bike also works really well for firm surfaces. It's key to get the crank length right and q factor as tight as possible.

sweet! looks like he has some good skills! when did he first ride on the track? my 3 year old rode the big BMX track for the first time a few weeks ago but i think he was bummed he wasn't able to carry enough speed to ride the whole track. we sat for a while on the first big asphalt turn and watched other kids and i tried to explain that he had to ride higher on the berm next time. i think next year this time when he is 4 he should be able to handle the whole track. he loves the pump track though!

Bike for my 4 year old-27332567_10160299411310157_4513604816086772442_n.jpg

Bike for my 4 year old-img_4081.jpg
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    His first time on the track was two months before his 4th bday. We started just doing the final straight and backed up the start as he progressed. By the second time we went to the track he was doing the whole thing with some help up the bigger hills. I rode behind him and gave a push when he got slow up the larger hills. That way he got around without getting stuck. A couple outtings like that and he was fast enough to make it around on his own. Main thing was getting him to pedal basically non-stop.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I also hold him up at the gate and for the first few races held the back of his seat for the first '4 of track. That slowed him enough to keep him from going into orbit on the first jump and kept him out of the thick of the pack. Our local track doesn't have a ton of kids so usually everyone under 7 or so are together.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oh, also work on standing up. That seems to help a lot with both control and power. I have his seat slammed so it's really not practical to sit down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Oh, also work on standing up. That seems to help a lot with both control and power. I have his seat slammed so it's really not practical to sit down.

yeah, we have been working on that. he is coming around on the standing. he isn't quite 3.5 yet, birthday is at the end of september. i think we will have him standing regularly in a few months.

Bike for my 4 year old-678f480e-7612-4772-bf5b-c641e65f3eba.jpg
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice! My dude has been on an oset since his 2nd bday which I think helped with the standing. Easier to stand when no pedaling is involved!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice! My dude has been on an oset since his 2nd bday which I think helped with the standing. Easier to stand when no pedaling is involved!

Those things are sweet!

Riding standing is huge when it comes to developing bike handling skills.
    My son still almost never sits when he rides; he moves around like the proverbial monkey with a football anytime he's on a bike. I look at pics sometimes and realize that I've never been even close to some of the positions he puts himself in. Probably why he's a better rider than me!

All I know is that if my crotch ever ends up over my handlebars, something bad is about to happen.

Bike for my 4 year old-img_3011.jpg
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That's awesome!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    All starts with the BMX...his first 'real' bike was a mini.
    Learned so much on that thing, and from riding with the other kids at the track.

Bike for my 4 year old-evtrack.jpg
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

We have a 12" Stacyc, similar in theory to the Oset. I have tried to get him on a 16" Oset that our friend has, but he is intimidated by it and won't ride it. Seems silly since he loves motos... but kids don't always make sense.

Bike for my 4 year old-20161230_135937.jpg
    Bike for my 4 year old-26055753_10160164470195157_1557557535599829310_n.jpg
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice. My guy still rides the 12.5 oset I got him for his 2nd bday. It's upgraded with lithium batteries from a wreaked Tesla and halls!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    All starts with the BMX...his first 'real' bike was a mini.
    Learned so much on that thing, and from riding with the other kids at the track.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Evtrack.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	1182886
    Hey guys! I want to jump in here to get some input. My youngest wants to ride BMX this season and also enjoys singletrack. Now I donít wanna go crazy with bikes, but I love that he wants to ride! And his older brother has also recently taken an interest in singletrack. So hereís my question. My lil dude is five going on six next month. Heís 43Ē tall and has an inseam of just 18Ē. Heís been riding a Cleary Hedgehog and has transitioned smoothly to his brotherís old Cleary Owl. Heís asking for a BMX bike for his birthday but canít keep up with us on the Cleary as it is. I feel like the gearing ratio is way off for a single speed. So ... that being said, could we convert his Cleary to a BMX track bike? And if you were me, would you get him another bike for trails/etc with gears. I know heís more than ready for it, but weíll just resell it once heís done growing. Heís currently getting about three years out of each bike bc heís been slow growing. I just am not certain what direction to take for his birthday. If money werenít a problem, Iíd buy the Spawn Yama Jama. Thoughts? Iíve also been looking at what Prevelo, Flow, and Slater have to offer. I love Cleary (and Jeff has been super supportive, but Iím not sure the new 20Ē 3-speed will offer enough for this kid).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get a BMX bike. They are cheap and work great. It'll cost less and work better than trying to convert a cleary. None of the MTB style bikes work well on a BMX track. BMX bikes are really specialized these days. You want a 20" micro-mini with 110-115mm cranks, 20x1" tires, 34/15 gearing (to start, then dial it in for your tracks, kid's speed, etc.), a ~35mm stem, and 2" micro bars (my kid is almost exactly the same size, although he's 4 so yours is probably much stronger). You should be able to pick up something used for around $250 and new for around $500 (look at DK, Chase, Redline, etc.). BMX tracks pretty much all have loaner bikes as well. Show up, ride, race, and get a feel for it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Sweet! That was my plan with BMX. Show up and just ride. Iíll ask if our track has loaners. Theyíve already been so helpful! So hereís the other problem- the singletrack riding. We just have massive hills around here and I want him to be able to have a few gears for this. Do we sell both Cleary Bikes and just switch it all up completely? He loves the local skatepark, the rocky singletrack, the pump track and wants to ride further without needing to spin so fast. Donít get me wrong ... he keeps up, but his legs are going crazy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The BMX race bikes are great for the race track and pumptrack, and my son also did some light trail riding on his. Problem with them is they are built for light weight and very specific terrain; they don't hold up all that well for rough trails or skatepark/DJ type stuff. When he was 6, he had a 20" mini BMX race bike for racing, a 16" park/street style Haro BMX bike for skateparks/jumping/general messing around, and a 24" MTB for trail riding.

Total investment was something around $1000 across the three bikes. Having the right tools for the job was totally worth it IMO.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I hear you! The hubby just never has been into bikes the way I have, so I have some convincing to do. Lol. Trying to currently decide what bike to buy for his birthday. This is one reason I was looking at the Slater frames. It can basically be built up into a Mtn bike or set up for BMX. I think the first step is to sell at least the 16Ē Cleary and the bike trailers we no longer use. The lil guy has been eyeing the Wethepeople 18Ē curse. And heís also into the Spawn bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Cool! Note that park style bmx bikes (we the people, kink, stolen, etc) are very different from BMX race bikes. Park bikes are for skate parks, street, and dirt jump. They are heavy, durable, and have wide tires. BMX race bikes are for bmx tracks and are light, relatively fragile, and have skinny tires (think road bike in terms of weight and tires). Park bikes often have pegs on the axles where race bikes won't (not even allowed on tracks with them).

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Cool! Note that park style bmx bikes (we the people, kink, stolen, etc) are very different from BMX race bikes. Park bikes are for skate parks, street, and dirt jump. They are heavy, durable, and have wide tires. BMX race bikes are for bmx tracks and are light, relatively fragile, and have skinny tires (think road bike in terms of weight and tires). Park bikes often have pegs on the axles where race bikes won't (not even allowed on tracks with them).
    Yeah. Iím learning about BMX. Based on where he currently rides, I think it makes sense to go with either a park style BMX bike or a MTB. And I hope that weíll be able to borrow/but a used race bike once the season gets started. Now my big decision is the birthday gift, which is needed by the end of next month. These are tough decisions. I personally want to get the mtb. But then which one?!? I know he needs something with gears. What did you go with for mtb? There are just too many options now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shandke View Post
    I hear you! The hubby just never has been into bikes the way I have, so I have some convincing to do. Lol. Trying to currently decide what bike to buy for his birthday. This is one reason I was looking at the Slater frames. It can basically be built up into a Mtn bike or set up for BMX. I think the first step is to sell at least the 16Ē Cleary and the bike trailers we no longer use. The lil guy has been eyeing the Wethepeople 18Ē curse. And heís also into the Spawn bikes.
    FWIW, my son stuck to a 16" park/dj BMX until he was 9, and now at almost 14 and ~65" tall, he's just finally getting ready to move away from his 18" to a 20". For those style bikes, I'm a firm believer in 'the smaller the better', as is he.

Just before retiring the 16"
    Bike for my 4 year old-img_1666.jpg

This past summer on the 18"
    Bike for my 4 year old-img_5797.jpg
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yeah. Iím learning about BMX. Based on where he currently rides, I think it makes sense to go with either a park style BMX bike or a MTB. And I hope that weíll be able to borrow/but a used race bike once the season gets started. Now my big decision is the birthday gift, which is needed by the end of next month. These are tough decisions. I personally want to get the mtb. But then which one?!? I know he needs something with gears. What did you go with for mtb? There are just too many options now.
    First off, you are doing great here. Focusing and investing in BMX is such a big skill developer for your kid biking. It's amazing how much skill the bmx crowd has vs the mtb kids. Your kid will appreciate that for the rest of his life probably (this isn't football that just ends of college). Also do whatever slaphead recommends. I think bike wise he struck a nice balance in cost but his kid is also clearing jumps bigger than my SUV (he didn't post those pics).

Now down to the MTB purchase. He is definitely in the size range for a 20" MTB. The best 20" all around mountain bike by far is definitely the Spawn Yama Jama. We have one of those and it's insanely nice and worth every cent if your kid rides hard enough to need it. But most don't. Next on the list is the Orbea 20MX Disk. That is half the price, rigid and just a super nice platform. You definitely don't want plus tires or any spring fork stuff. It's all needless and actively hurts their climbing with all the extra weight and little/no benefit. Orbea might be hard to find tho. Next up is maybe a Spawn Raiju rigid, but I haven't researched that a ton. Everything we have from Spawn is amazing (YJ and Yoji). Trek Superfly 20" is a nice rigid bike too that is available and really light.

Also note that 18" Curse bike is way to big for him. You want a 16" Freestyle bike like the Seed, Misfit, Juvenile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    You guys are all so helpful! Iíve nearly purchased the Spawn Yama Jama once every day this past week. Itís SO good, but Iím leaning toward something a little more simple for now. (Keep in mind that I WANT to give him the Yama Jama. Iím just concerned about the initial cost.) and yes. The BMX interest is there bc of the amazing community. My son doesnít seem to fit most molds, so itís seeming to be the right track. That being said, I wish I couldíve had these opportunities. However, I did ride motor cross just for fun as a kid. And yeah. Iím not so into football. I want something that will last a lifetime!

And wow, slaphead! Your kid rocks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You guys are all so helpful! Iíve nearly purchased the Spawn Yama Jama once every day this past week. Itís SO good, but Iím leaning toward something a little more simple for now. (Keep in mind that I WANT to give him the Yama Jama. Iím just concerned about the initial cost.) and yes. The BMX interest is there bc of the amazing community. My son doesnít seem to fit most molds, so itís seeming to be the right track. That being said, I wish I couldíve had these opportunities. However, I did ride motor cross just for fun as a kid. And yeah. Iím not so into football. I want something that will last a lifetime!

Thanks! He's a lot of fun. Definitely opened my eyes to BMX, as I'm basically your average old dude on an MTB and didn't have much BMX experience at all, but he really gravitated towards it when he was young and I've gained a huge appreciation since then. Particularly the emphasis on riding over equipment and the dedication I've seen from so many people, young and old.

Now if I can just get him to cut back on the moto stuff and ride bikes as much as he used to...much worse problems we could have I'm sure.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

We have the YJ but I wouldn't feel bad for passing on it at all in your situation (unless maybe you have 3 kids waiting behind this one). BMX seems to be the priority and rightfully so for now, you'll be dropping a lot of money there if the racing stuff takes off. Just get the nice rigid bike and have a blast.

FYI if you don't already have a Full Face Helmet, its time to get one. No waiting around (some guy's kid on here has a nasty dental bill with some legit damage because of it). Its not just for hardcore racing. I'm not sure if there is a standard for BMX racing but the Bell Super 2R Size Small (you can get a smoking deal on them via ebay) is spectacular and light and breathable. Just saved my kids face (again) yesterday when he was trying to launch his brothers tiny bike on our jumps (dumb).

My nephew decided to skip it for ONE race day (BMX) and put a handlebar through his face (literally in one side and out the other of his cheek).

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    The bikes Iím contemplating right now (saide from the Yama Jama) are the Commencal Ramones (used), the Spawn Raiju, or one of the Prevelo bikes. Honestly, the Zulu three for $899 doesnít seem like a bad deal. Iíve only heard good things about Prevelo, but theyíre new to the game.

And I hear ya about the full face helmet! My little guy actually just bought himself a Bell Ramble with Christmas cash. Heís probably going to need a better one once he starts racing, but this is a decent, lightweight one that he was dying to get!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The bikes Iím contemplating right now (saide from the Yama Jama) are the Commencal Ramones (used), the Spawn Raiju, or one of the Prevelo bikes. Honestly, the Zulu three for $899 doesnít seem like a bad deal. Iíve only heard good things about Prevelo, but theyíre new to the game.

And I hear ya about the full face helmet! My little guy actually just bought himself a Bell Ramble with Christmas cash. Heís probably going to need a better one once he starts racing, but this is a decent, lightweight one that he was dying to get!
    Price is going up Its easy to do once you are down the rabbit hole. I think that Ramones has a crappy spring fork. Pass on that if it does unless its a smoking price and you can swap the fork (150$) for the new Suntour air fork tho you'd have to double check on the specs for compatibility.

Here is the deal on the Prevelo Zulu. Its 899$ and that's up there in price. When you hit that price point, in my opinion, you might as well just get the Yama Jama. Its the better bike in significant ways...easily. Its lighter by about 1.5lbs. The fork is WAY BETTER. The gearing is better at 11-36 instead of 11-34 AND the chain ring is 30t instead of 32t (this stuff is a big deal for climbing, we need every ounce of that and my kid is a beast). Spawn Maxtion tires are light years beyond the Kenda Small Block 8s (critical). Zulu cranks are too small too and square tapered. Spawn Wellgo pedals are better. Yama Jama is just too good of a value AND everything is adult compatible basically (even on their 14" bikes). So switching stuff out is easy and standard...have to love Spawn for that. Prevelo may have some of that but its hard to say without contacting them (are the cranks a standard BCD?). Regardless, you don't need to drop the cash on the YJ as those rigid bikes (don't forget the Orbea) are excellent and cheaper. I just wanted to point out that the Prevelo stuff is nice but not a great value relative to the Spawn and has some significant short comings while still costing a lot of money.

My 5yro this last summer on the Yama Jama 20". He is 47", 48lbs and 19" inseam at that time.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/EJq0hvt6JOIIxqCv1

We upgraded our home bike loop with a bigger berm yesterday. More speed was had and he hammered our 3 ft table top ( has a lip to it). Overshot it by at least 2 ft and had his back tire was 4ft in the air. Not normal for sure. He acted like he had won the Redbull Rampage. I was stoked he just landed it (surprised us both). No videos of that tho :/ lol. Then he stole his little brothers 16" Spawn, jumped it hard and wrecked immediately. Tears and we all went inside lol. I will say that if your kid is jumping stuff and actively working on it, having a really nice front fork and decent headtube angle is worth every cent when they screw it up. Its saved my oldest many times from going over the bars.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I definitely hear what your saying. Honestly, I wished this bike was for my older son, bc Iíd get the Spawn YJ in a heartbeat and pass it down to the little dude. Had I known how much they were going to want to shred, I wouldíve done that in the first place! Nonetheless, either the Orbea or the Raiju are looking better. The only problem with the Orbea is the color. My guy needs to have zombie green incorporated. I know it seems ridiculous, but Iím an artist, and apparently my kids are quite opinionated with design/color as well. I did look into the Prevelo and your right about their components. Not nearly as easy to change - just like our Cleary problem.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    To complicate the mtb side of things there's the lil shredder line. Awesome bikes, but more $$$ than the spawn. I'm broadly in favor of bigger wheels and less or no suspension for kids fwiw. I'm kinda thinking a lil shredder frame with 20" rear and 24" front on a rigid fork would be cool. Haven't gone to gears yet, but my guy had about outgrown his Ramones 14 (heavily modified).

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I definitely hear what your saying. Honestly, I wished this bike was for my older son, bc Iíd get the Spawn YJ in a heartbeat and pass it down to the little dude. Had I known how much they were going to want to shred, I wouldíve done that in the first place! Nonetheless, either the Orbea or the Raiju are looking better. The only problem with the Orbea is the color. My guy needs to have zombie green incorporated. I know it seems ridiculous, but Iím an artist, and apparently my kids are quite opinionated with design/color as well. I did look into the Prevelo and your right about their components. Not nearly as easy to change - just like our Cleary problem.
    The green on the new spawns is unbelievably cool in person. One of my favorite parts of the bike. Both kids have that color. I wish my bike was that color. Its cool

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Do you know anyone whoís had the Raiju? Itís quite a bit heavier than what my son is used to now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Do you know anyone whoís had the Raiju? Itís quite a bit heavier than what my son is used to now.
    Someone on here just bought one. You might search and find them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks! I injured myself yesterday so Iíve had more time than usual to think about this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i will add my .02 because i feel that many look past the electric stuff. there are very good electric powered options that allow the little guys to ride hills that they could NEVER do otherwise. my boy got his Stacyc last Christmas (2 years old) and immediately rode in the desert and on single tracks. he easily outpaces me on the climbs if i am riding my MTB and gives more range than he could ever do if he were pedaling. there are 16" options (Stacyc and Oset especially) that fit kids up to around 8yrs old or so when they can realistically climb bigger hills and longer trails. just something to further complicate your options. my younger son is going to inherit a massive stable of bikes. LOL
    Bike for my 4 year old-15727034_10158337921025157_7495945524728102313_n.jpg

Bike for my 4 year old-19059737_10214006266578515_3795505180612289503_n.jpg

and one that tugs at my heart strings, riding with mom in the desert (she was pregnant with boy #2 at the time)

Bike for my 4 year old-15741112_10158323918915157_8480924260362932283_n.jpg

Bike for my 4 year old-16113900_10158410343335157_8734687662103241183_n.jpg

Bike for my 4 year old-16114341_10158410344555157_7435586730217107136_n.jpg
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I just canít pull the trigger on the Raiju when I look at the specs on the Orbea. That being said, I woke up today thinking Iíd order the Orbea but began reading about all the upgrades others were doing to it. And I thought Iíd def need to make at least some fit changes and tires as well. Eventually my boy will probably need an air fork too at that point, Iím going to feel like we shouldíve just gone with the Yama Jama (also factoring in resell value). So Iím going to see what I can sell and try to just go for that. SMH.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I got a Easyrider belter 16" for my 4 year old. He loves it. What a beautifully built and spec'd bike. We ride everyday to/from school and got tons of comments on how good of a rider he is all the time.

Now he's almost 6, and the seat post is maxed out and he's ready to move onto his big brother's Woom 4. Big brother is moving onto Oreba MX 24 trail.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)
    1993 Specialized Stumpjumper FS (bar hopper)