mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Bike carrier for 2yr old that's quick to put on/take off?

Wanted to be able to add a bike carrier to my Mojo HDR.. a little tricky given I have a dropper post, dual suspension frame etc. Any suggestions for something that can work on a mountain bike? I do no want to go the trailer route given we are in the city so feel that it's unsafe..

iBert, so long as you have at 1.125" dia steer tube least a 20mm spacer above your headset. Install/removal requires pulling off your stem, adjusting spacers, and popping on the T-bar. Takes under 5 minutes.
    Child Bike Seat | safe-T-seat by iBert | Family Biking

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I definitely recommend the Ibert too. I made it work with a 1.5" steerer tube also, just need some longer bolts. Not sure why you need to remove your stem though, as mine easily mounted onto the spacers around my steerer tube below my stem. Also, if you can, try to use an uncut fork. With mine, it perfectly interfaced to the Ibert, giving another point of contact besides just the t-bar. You'll have to play around with it to get it right, but we rode some decently technical singletrack with this, and the t-bar would not have been enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    I definitely recommend the Ibert too. I made it work with a 1.5" steerer tube also, just need some longer bolts. Not sure why you need to remove your stem though, as mine easily mounted onto the spacers around my steerer tube below my stem. Also, if you can, try to use an uncut fork. With mine, it perfectly interfaced to the Ibert, giving another point of contact besides just the t-bar. You'll have to play around with it to get it right, but we rode some decently technical singletrack with this, and the t-bar would not have been enough.
    Interesting, so you mounted over the spacers, I've always had mine mounted directly to the steerer tube, in a gap between the spacers. Doesn't it scratch up the spacers? No vertical slippage, or you mount it directly above the headset? It's obviously much easier to install/remove this way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    hmmmm - i only have 10mm spacers between my stem and headset.. 10mm above, i guess I could just redo it every time..

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, over the spacers. I have my preload on my headset a little tighter than normal, and that makes it so the spacers don't spin around. Also helps having the top of the steerer tube contact the seat also. And it scratches up the spacers, but they are only a couple bucks, so not a big deal to replace if I ever wanted to.

We probably did 2 or 3 rides a week this way, and I also rode a couple times a week without the kids, so being able to quickly swap back and forth was paramount.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I do the same. Right over the spacers. It is quick and easy and as Bull stated I will replace them down the road as they only cost a few bucks.