mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Bike for 10yr old daughter

I know this has been covered in several other threads (which have been wonderful help) but before I commit I just want to double check that I am not missing something.

I have a 10 year old daughter that has a 24” giant cyclocross bike that she loves and we got because we do a lot of crushed stone type trails as a family. She is also thinking about doing some cross racing this fall. She did one race last year and loved it.

We have done a couple mountain biking trails when she was still on her 20”. I asked here the other day where was her favorite place to bike and it was the mountain bike trail and pump track we did two years ago. There is also a new bike park and flow trail being built 30 minutes up road that I think she will really like.

My daughter is 53” tall and not growing real fast (at the moment at least). I live in upper East Tennessee (tri-city area) and we vacation in Brevard NC every year. I was looking to get her an Orbea MX24 Trail as it seems to be the best mid range option with an air fork and decent components. I have checked with my LBS and can get one for less than $700 including tax. I measured here leg length and her ideal crank length is 145 (assuming I did it right) so I know the crank is a little long but it is the same as her cyclocross bike.

I just want to make sure I am not missing something obvious nor do I want to spend the money on a Trailcraft as I am not sure if she is really going to take to mountain biking. I don’t mind upgrading components if she really likes it.

I also thought about the trek superfly 26 but I think that may be too big for her.

Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It's tough man, I get it. You are not missing anything. Stick with the 24. Unless she's got an super long inseam for her size, the 24 is the right path. Also, is she fond of the looks of the Orbea? If she thinks it's ugly, will she ride it? I went with the Trailcraft because of some sage advice here... if you can call it advice. The sentiment was basically that, $ spent on time outdoors with your kid results in some priceless returns. The $1300 we spent on Si's Trailcraft was, even with our finances, a LOT of money. That said, it's been flawless and it has allowed him to progress without a doubt. I've had to reach out to Ginger a couple of times on questions and issues of our own making and she's always been great about helping. You'll also be supporting a growing small business with good, like-minded folks.

Now, here's the realist part... I have two boys, and we had the finances to pull it off.
    Younger brother is also enthusiastic about riding so I know that the bike will be handed down. If money is a factor, and there's no hand-me-down path, I'd rock that Orbea with no regrets. Si's best friend picked one up a year ago and it's been a great bike. My only beef with the Orbea is that it needs better tires. I'd ditch the Kendas and upgrade to Rocket Rons 1st or Smart Sams 2nd. Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Good advice Kingfisher, we do have a younger daughter but her interest in biking is lower. The 10 year old is ok with the looks of the Orbea but the teal trailcraft was definitely nicer. Her current bike is deer hunter orange so she is not too picky. I am going to double check with her again on the color.

I was already looking at replacing the tires and the rocket Ron’s seemed like the best choice. They are not listed as tubeless easy but they should be able to be tubeless right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    On a proper rim, the RR's set up tubeless instantly. What I can't really answer is whether or not it's a proper rim for tubeless. Sadly I even fixed a flat on the one mentioned above a couple months ago when the kids were riding with me but I was trying to get us back on the road and not really looking hard at the rim.

mtbr member
    The Trailcraft is definitely nicer, but for the price, the Orbea is a good pick. I don't think you will be sorry. You might also want to look at the Prevelo Zulu 4 or the Frog MTB 62. Both are a bit more money, but quality builds.

Here are specs: https://rascalrides.com/best-24-xc-mountain-bikes-kids/
    Rascal Rides - Kids. Bikes. Family.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I completely forgot about the two new options from Cube, and i just mentioned them in a thread the other day to boot. Go check them out on CRC.

The Cube 240 Race for $764, and the Cube 240 SL for $899. In my opinion they're both spec'ed better than the Orbea, even the Race model and I think they look better too.
    Even the lower spec Race is set up tubeless ready. The Race model shows revo shifters in the CRC description but the picture has triggers, and as far as I know there are no "revo" Deore shifters. If you wanted to be absolutely certain I'm sure Cube could tell you. You could save on some sales tax, and CRC will pay the duty fees. I ordered a 27.5+ from CRC last year and the whole thing went super smooth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks guys, those do seem like good choices that I had not really considered before. I don't think my daughter would like that lime green on the 240 Race, but the 240 SL is not bad. I have actually already ordered the Orbea from my LBS. They are not an Orbea dealer but he is getting it from the local rep. It should be here in a couple weeks for $660 out the door with tax (~10% in TN). I also just ordered a Santa Cruz Stigmata for myself so that probably helped on the price. I am getting anxious for warmer dryer weather (and to not be working night shifts) to get out and ride finally.

For the price difference and supporting my LBS I think I would still buy the Orbea, but the decision would have been harder. Thanks again for the support.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hold on for a minute on the Orbea. I think there is a new sheriff in town for 24" hard tails. The 2018 Rocky Mountain Vertex looks better to me. I think the Geo is more modern and better as well.

It's the cranks that suck. A hard tail that kids can't climb on sucks (hence people then have to drop extra cash to swap them). The rocky might have the right size cranks. However maybe more importantly it's the ugly colors tho and that Rocky is beautiful.

Regardless, if I was buying today and wanted a nice air fork hard tail similar to our Spawn 20" YJ, I'd buy that Vertex all day. (I don't like the high stack on the 24" Spawn, the Vertex is literally 30mm shorter up front with an appropriate HTL).

Beaware that someone will need to double check the crank length on the bike tho. Need to ping Rocky. Their crank length isn't listed and is ideally around 140mm. If not, make the bike shop swap them for you (adult purchases the shop swaps stuff out). Fwiw both bikes are great in this size and similar.

Vertex Youth | Rocky Mountain Bicycles

I also like rockies 28t chainring. The kids will lose some top speed but gain in climbing etc. If your kid isn't super strong, this will help a lot. I think the 32t chainring is common but only works great on 11-42 cassette ranges. I also like the 68d head tube. Safer. Not sure what Orbeas is, their website info on Geo is goofy there.

Also, there is usually better dealer support for Rocky than Orbea being that Orbea is a Spanish company and Rocky is Canadian. Prob easy to get one ordered too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I agree Svinyard that Rocky Mountain Vertex is a nice looking bike and looks like a good option. Some of the spec are still better on the Orbea I believe. Specifically, the cassette (10 speed deore on the Orbea vs 9 speed alivio on the RM) and the shifters and brakes (again deore vs alivio). I could not tell if the RM wheels were tubeless ready but it looks like in the picture it has Schrader valves. I definitely like the color scheme on the RM but I think my daughter will appreciate some of the pink highlights on the Orbea. Once I get the Orbea I will take some pictures as I think most of the color is on the top tube. The tires on the Orbea are definitely a must replace item so kudos to RM for choosing a decent tire.

Geometry wise the RM has less stack 482mm vs 500mm and less reach 343mm vs 353mm. Orbea's website lists the head angle at 66 deg but another owner posted on here that he measured it and it was more around 68-69. The RM does have some nice short chainstays at 380. The standover height for both these bikes seems really high at 660 and 673. For comparison the Norco Charger is 515mm and the 26" Trek superfly is 652. I guess each manufacturer could be measuring from different points on the top tube.

If my daughter were 8, I think the RM would have fit her much better with the lower stack and reach. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. It seems like there are finally some good mid priced options now for 24" bikes.

Disclaimer - I realize that I am biased toward the Orbea as I have one ordered and I am trying to justify to myself that I would still make the same choice had I had this information last week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Ah yup, that's true. I didn't see the 9sp side when I glanced through specs. Id def rather have the 10sp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would take a good look at the Specialized Riprock Comp. Air fork, low standover frame and plus tires.

My kids have really liked the plus tires, even picking a plus bike over a super light front suspension bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Hold on for a minute on the Orbea. I think there is a new sheriff in town for 24" hard tails. The 2018 Rocky Mountain Vertex looks better to me. I think the Geo is more modern and better as well.
    Did these just get announced, I don't remember seeing them last time I looked through the Rocky Website. They do indeed look like a nice middle-ground between the Spawn Yama Jama and most other kid's offerings. At nearly half the price for the 20", it's well worth considering. The only thing that looks a little off is the size of that seat, looks like they plunked an adult saddle on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattles View Post
    Did these just get announced, I don't remember seeing them last time I looked through the Rocky Website. They do indeed look like a nice middle-ground between the Spawn Yama Jama and most other kid's offerings. At nearly half the price for the 20", it's well worth considering. The only thing that looks a little off is the size of that seat, looks like they plunked an adult saddle on it.
    I think they've been around since 2014. It's a saddle specific for kids according to the specs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkman999 View Post
    I think they've been around since 2014. It's a saddle specific for kids according to the specs.
    On the 20" appears like the 2018 model gets rid of the two gear auto hub and replaces it with a proper derailer. Both models go from a 70.5 head tube angle to a more modern 68.

The saddle is indeed listed as a Rocky Mountain Kids, but it still looks big on the 20", on the 24" it looks fine. This may not matter in person.

The colour scheme on the 2018 24" looks great!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Agreed. That is a slick looking bike. Nice find on the Vertex. Likes... the cranks. Dislikes, the spec on that thing is a hodgepodge. Probably doesn't matter, but looks like the Orbea edges it out slightly. It's interesting to see how the different mfg put them together. I noticed that Orbea has the HTA listed at 66 for the MX Trail. Not a chance. That's a typo, and I'd put it somewhere in the 69 range.