Thread: Big Tires

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Big Tires

Curious if anyone can suggest a bigger front tire for a 20" Hotrock. Currently running 1.95" Kenda Small Block 8's. They seem okay, but I was thinking about trying a bigger front tire to help with confidence on the trails.

The SM8 weigh about 400g. I'd hate to put something on there that was crazy heavy, but obviously more rubber will add weight.

Looking at the Odyssey Mike Aitken 20 x 2.35", but afraid it will be a tank.

Ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Once you start looking that wide the weight really ramps up. Though not a huge width improvement, there are 20" x 2.1 small block 8s available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My son's GT stomper came with Kenda 20x2.4" tires. They are very heavy though. It does seem to help him on some of rougher trails with a lot of tree roots. I will probably go smaller after winter.

I4NI
    Iniversal cycles
    Flybikes Ruben Rampera Tire
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

NONDURO
    You could always lace up a set of 19" trials rims. Plenty of wide-ass tires to choose from in the 19" trials size. Lots of girth and squish available.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the ideas. The mow joes are light, but I think I'm gunning for more rubber. Something with some tread as it is a mt. Bike after all. The SM8 in 2.1 would be an obvious choice, and I may got that route, but not sure it will be a noticeable difference. I'll hunt for a gram counter on the fly bikes tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Small Block 8 2.1" is one of the best options but here's some others if you're looking for a fatter tire with some tread:
    Maxxis Snyper comes in 20 x 2.25 (57-406) with a folding bead to keep the weight down
    Specialized Rhythm Lite Control in 20 x 2.2 with folding bead
    Specialized also make / made? a fat 20" knobby tire which I apparently can't find on the Specialized website right now, although that doesn't surprise me as the Specialized website has been Fail for most of the past decade.
    Tioga Comp III in 20 x 2.1. There are lots of Chinese knockoffs of the Tioga and I've seen fatter than 2.1 but they're probably heavy and best avoided.

I'm SUCH a square....
    OP, you will likely be AMAZED at the difference between a 1.95 and a 2.1; I'm amazed at the diff between a 2.10 Maxxis and a 2.15 Michelin!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDecisive View Post
    The Small Block 8 2.1" is one of the best options but here's some others if you're looking for a fatter tire with some tread:
    Maxxis Snyper comes in 20 x 2.25 (57-406) with a folding bead to keep the weight down
    Specialized Rhythm Lite Control in 20 x 2.2 with folding bead
    Specialized also make / made? a fat 20" knobby tire which I apparently can't find on the Specialized website right now, although that doesn't surprise me as the Specialized website has been Fail for most of the past decade.
    Tioga Comp III in 20 x 2.1. There are lots of Chinese knockoffs of the Tioga and I've seen fatter than 2.1 but they're probably heavy and best avoided.
    Good suggestions. Thanks.