mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Best Sunglasses for Younger Kids (3-6 years old)??

Can anyone recommend me some good sunglasses for my kids biking. They are 3 and almost 6 years old, and we have been promising to find them a good pair, but after checking lots of stores out (REI, Sports Authority, local grocery stores, bike stores), nothing is that great.

I am picky, and I want a rubber nosepiece (to go along with the rubber ear pieces), and a fairly lite-colored lenses. The ones that seem so far the best are the Tifosi Scouts (and getting the AC lense). Any other recommendations out there? Something with replaceable lenses like the Scout is nice, because the kids are young and no matter how much I keep on them about treating the glasses nicely, it won't happen.

Thanks - BS

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    We have had great luck with Julbo kids glasses. They have polycarbonate lenses and are pretty nice. Can't remember what model, but our son happily wears them skiing, rollerblading, and biking and is not careful with them at all. We bought them on sale from Sierra Trading Post. No changeable lenses, but they were inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ordered the Tifosi Scouts with all 3 lenses all of Ebay on Friday and got them on Saturday. A little more than I wanted to pay ($32), but they are a real nice pair of kids glasses. The AC (all conditions) lense is really good, and perfect for the type of riding we do here. Then when we go and do some more desert rides, the dark lenses will be perfect. And the clear lenses when they start getting into doing night rides. So overall a good pair of glasses that hug the head well. Worked good on my 5.75 year old daughter and 3.5 year old son.

Regarind the Julbos, the ones I have seen at REI and various bike shops always have too dark of lenses. I think they make them for taking your kids to the beach, etc where you are just trying to protect their eyes. But the problem with biking in places with trees overhead, is that if they are too dark, they won't see the roots/rocks on the trails.

Amom, did you happen to find some with lighter than black lenses, because we used these before and they were decently cheap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ours have amber lenses, which have been great. They had darker ones, but we like the lighter lenses for contrast. I will definitely take a look at those tifosi next time we are at REI. They look really interesting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    - I would second the Julbo recommendation. Great optics, plus they are well put together from decent materials and don't fall apart in five seconds when battered by kids. We bought the "Julbo Solan" for a five year old and that has been great. Just ordered another pair of these on Amazon. Not cheap at 30 bucks but not all that expensive in the scheme of things. They do have different types of tints and darkness levels to choose from:
    Julbo USA: Kids sunglasses and eye protection for children

- Another very good "no-name brand" option, and a bit cheaper at about 12 bucks, is the "Kids JR75 Sunglasses" which I have also purchased on Amazon. This one gets used for school, skiing and biking. A little bit more lightweight build than the Julbos, but they are also cheaper and more acceptable for situations where they might be lost.
    Last edited by Sam25; 05-26-2014 at 08:41 AM.

turtles make me hot
    I third Julbo. Great glasses.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I paid less than $10 for our Julbo on Sierra Trading Post with coupon.