mtbr member

The best ride I've ever had...

So this last weekend my wife and two kids went out to Reveille Peak Ranch outside of Austin TX. We met a couple that are our good fiends. We started off on the easy trails, and then my wife was gracious enough to let me go ride with the other guy there so we could ride the more challenging trails. Usually we split the kids and ride at their pace and ability, so this was a treat that she was obliging me with. As we were about to split I asked my 10 year old son if he wanted to go with us, and he said he did. I was pretty sure he couldn't ride the ride we were wanting to ride, but my friend is a very nice guy and I knew he would be cool if we ended up walking or cutting it way short due to my son. So, we let him come with us. Now, this is the first real outing we have done since last fall, so it has been several months since I've mountain biked with my son. We ended up riding the toughest trail out there, and he rode at least 80% of it! And the parts he couldn't ride he jumped off and HTFU real quick without complaint! He rode some technical stuff that had me squirming to tell him not too, but I kept my mouth shut and let him handle his situation, which he did way beyond my comprehension of his abilities. I'm flabbergasted, proud, and overjoyed. It was the first time that I rode with him on a legitimate ride that is of the level and distance that I would normally do by myself or with other adults. I'll never look at him the same again...
    The best ride I've ever had...-nate-revielle-peak-ranch.jpg
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

Havok
    That's awesome to hear.

DMills
    Apr 2012

The best ride I've ever had...

As the dad of a 10-year old I can totally relate. Great story!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    They can surprise you sometimes, my 12 year old is a really good rider on technical terrain and usually will clear a section cleaner than I do, I do it faster and tend to plow through features like rock gardens at full speed while he picks a cleaner line and really works his way through. I'm sure soon he will also find some speed and leave me in the dust.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Had a great ride today with my kiddo! She saw the deer running beside us and she saw the deer crossing in front of us. She was so excited. She was very vocal about letting people know she was passing on the left and saying thank you. I should get her a bell. It was a great feeling when she yelled "I love you daddy" as she proudly rode ahead of me. Moments like that make me glad I started biking!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great story!! High five to your kiddo!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by menant74 View Post
    Had a great ride today with my kiddo! She saw the deer running beside us and she saw the deer crossing in front of us. She was so excited. She was very vocal about letting people know she was passing on the left and saying thank you. I should get her a bell. It was a great feeling when she yelled "I love you daddy" as she proudly rode ahead of me. Moments like that make me glad I started biking!
    Awesome!
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...