mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Best kid hauler on budget

I am looking for a cheap kid trailer to haul my 1yr old with us when the family goes for bike rides. Doesn't need to be off road capable only riding on streets in town.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. New to this kid hauler thing. Oh and needs to be able to mount to a gt aggressor with disc on rear

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Are you committed to a trailer? I've experimented with 3 different types of kid hauling by bike, and I have to say that a trailer is, by far, my LEAST favorite. If all you need is 1 kid hauling, I would recommend a child seat.

Easy to install and remove, compatible with just about any bike, and relatively cheap. Not to mention that you can actually hold a conversation with the child while you're pedaling along... Assuming your 1yo can sit up and support his/her head, I would look into a handlebar-mount child seat. I have the Yepp rear seat, and have heard good things about their front-mount seat (Yepp Mini).

If you truly want a trailer, I would check out craigslist and your local classifieds... something used will probably be your best bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Best kid hauler on budget

Thank you we r kind of set on the trailer as our 3yr old rides her own bike but she is just learning and very slow so when the wife and I want to get out and ride a double trailer is best

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Pretty sure that the two cheapest trailers on the market are Instep and Schwinn, but I couldn't tell you anything about either of them, other than they're cheap.

Personally, I started with Craigslist and picked up a reasonably priced used Burley.

mtbr member
    We looked into the trailers but ended up going this route.
    Welcome to Kids Products.com - WeeRide Items - Kids Bicycle Accessories for the little one

and this one for our 3yr old
    Welcome to Kids Products.com - WeeRide Items - Kids Bicycle Accessories

They are not the most expensive ones out there but our daughter started in the Kangaroo and has now worked her way up to the copilot.

They are both easy to attach and remove. Just another option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I also went with a Burley off of Craigslist. I'd rather have something used that's reasonably light and well made, than something new that's low quality. The kids are on their own bikes now so I'll be putting it back on Craigslist when I have time, hopefully I'll break even on the cost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The criticism about being able to talk to kids in the trailer is valid, but I had them and thought they were great. I could carry blankets, toys, picnic supplies, swim gear or whatever. With the chariot, I could even remove the jogging-stroller handle! Run it through the frame of my middle sons hotrock, and carry him, the bike, and baby brother for the rest of the ride. I've had three trailers:
    1) a cheap in-step. It was like pulling a plow, uncomfortable for the kids (but everyone loves whiny kids on hot days) and the attachment was awkward and eventually failed, mangling my rear spokes and traumatizing my kids.
    2). Used Burley D'lite. This one was awesome, and I like the aluminum rails around the wheels. They took the hit, rather than the wheels, on several bike trail posts. This burley was offsite too--I think it rode like 8 inches right of center, to get the kids of the street? Great trailer, but the fabric actually rotted on me. I wish I could have kept it for a cargo hauler, but I've already got too much junk
    3). Chariot cougar 2. The comfiest, best made of them all, but pricey, and EVERYthing is extra. I found one one CL for cheap, and it had the jogging attachment, so we could use it as a stroller once we'd arrived.

Oh, I also liked how the burley folded better than the chariot. The burley was just a dead pony, not the hull horse. I use a cargo strap to keep the chariot from opening up as I move it, and I tore the fabric with the release knob one day as I was folding it

So, in a nutshell, I'd say avoid the cheapies, and hold for a used burley or chariot. In addition to CL, a friend got a screaming deal on the chariot at REIs returns sale. Oh, and just for reference, I never really off roadbed mine either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

We bought an instep for $50 used from craigslist and they love it. We had to get something the wife could easily put on her bike when I wasn't home.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Seems like a good deal. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vxc961 View Post
    The criticism about being able to talk to kids in the trailer is valid, but I had them and thought they were great. I could carry blankets, toys, picnic supplies, swim gear or whatever.
    This is why I ended up with a cargo bike. Carry 2 kids PLUS stuff on the back (way more than I could get in the trailer, too). It's interesting to hear that you found the Burley and Chariot that different a ride than the in-step. A 2-kid instep was my first kid hauling option and I really hate it; complete anchor behind the bike. When my kids started getting squished in the thing early (at 1.5 and 2.5) I had no qualms about getting something better. I love being able to talk with both of them as we ride.

members/evandy/albums/my-dummy/765420-dummy-groceries.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    This is why I ended up with a cargo bike. Carry 2 kids PLUS stuff on the back (way more than I could get in the trailer, too). It's interesting to hear that you found the Burley and Chariot that different a ride than the in-step. A 2-kid instep was my first kid hauling option and I really hate it; complete anchor behind the bike. When my kids started getting squished in the thing early (at 1.5 and 2.5) I had no qualms about getting something better. I love being able to talk with both of them as we ride.

so yeah, I was not a fan of the in-step, but hopefully the OP will enjoy his.

So how do you store the cargo bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vxc961 View Post
    So how do you store the cargo bike?
    Like this:
    Best kid hauler on budget-imag0078.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

We have put about 55-60 miles with the kids in the instep. I don't find it to be like pulling a plow but I have nothing to compare it to. My wife has trouble after several miles but she has just started to get into riding with me. My kids both love it too. As far as the kids being squished my girls r actually really small for their ages both in 30th or lower percentile for height and weight so there is almost room for 3 kids in it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Great! Not sure if you run helmets in there (my wife always insisted, I finally relented), but the chariot actually has a recess for the kids helmets. If they wear a road-bike style helmet (in the Burley? Maybe the instep?) it basically forced their chins into their chest. One of my kids had more of a bmx/skiing type helmet and it wasn't so bad.

Seems like you can't go wrong for $50, particularly if your wife is happy! Post some pics when you get a chance, and congratulations!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    here is a pic of the setup we ride right now. my kids do wear helmets all the time in the trailer or when the 3.5yr old rides her own bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by asm3686 View Post
    We have put about 55-60 miles with the kids in the instep. I don't find it to be like pulling a plow but I have nothing to compare it to. My wife has trouble after several miles but she has just started to get into riding with me. My kids both love it too. As far as the kids being squished my girls r actually really small for their ages both in 30th or lower percentile for height and weight so there is almost room for 3 kids in it.
    Glad it's working for you. Hope it keeps doing the same... my two girls are both below 25% in height so are tiny. But you may have a different model of inStep then we had.

mtbr member
    I like my trailer. I regularly haul my 2 yo to the grocery store and do the shopping. The cargo capacity is one of the conveniences of the trailer vs. a child seat. Plus your bike doesn't handle any different with the trailer on.

This is the trailer I have:
    MEC Child Trailer Double - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

And here we are out and about:
    Best kid hauler on budget-994168_10152936968060722_1527955656_n.jpg