Dream it, Do it.

Availability of 24" wheel Frame only

Are there any frames for 24" available? Ideally, I would like to build up a bike without having to deal with existing part. I am guessing that with all of the posts about changing parts on bikes that kids' frames are not available. What about having a frame built by a framebuilder?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Custom built frame will likely cost well in excess of $1000. Only reason I can see to go custom is if you want to get a weight-weenie custom 2.0 lbs frame made. Decent quality production aluminum 24" frames are around 3.0 lbs, light and strong but not at the cutting edge of what could be accomplished by a skilled custom builder.
    My suggestion is to get an used $50 bike off craigslist, worn out & rusty components are fine so long as it is a quality lightweight and undamaged frame. Trek, Gary Fischer, Specialized, Marin etc are fairly common to find and sell decent 24" frames hidden beneath some really heavy junky components. Takes all of 20 minutes to strip the junky stock parts off the frame and then you have a good starting point for a fresh build-up from the bare frame. If they are still strait, you might also consider salvaging and re-using the 24" rims as there are not really any lightweight 24" rims available that are a significant upgrade over the rims that come on most standard kids bikes.

turtles make me hot
    I found a 24" Gary Fisher Tyro on Craigslist for 60 bucks. Bike was perfect but weighed ten tons. I stripped it to the bare frame, built wheels, made a 1x10 drivetrain, disc brakes, 26er fork...
    Bike has served my son perfectly for two years. We're just beginning a 26er build for him now.
    Would have been nice if there was a 24" frame available but the Craigslist bike was fine.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Availability of 24" wheel Frame only-image.jpgI used a Fireeye Spitfire frame. When using disc brakes, they can work with 24" or 26" wheelsets. I used a set of Halo Combat disc wheels, 2.4 Maxxis Holy Rollers, and a RS Recon 26" fork. Slightly on the heavy side, but it keeps my little dude riding right behind my Mukluk. It also uses a 27.2 seatpost, which is great, he gets all my hand me downs from my Muk and a Redline 29er.