mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Any tubeless combos on 20" wheels?

Anyone had luck with setting up 20" wheels tubeless? If so what tire and tricks did you use? We have a lot of small thorns that reak havoc on tubed tires but tubeless with a little stans can do the trick for years.

Thanks

mtbr member
    There is no manufacturer versions available so youll need to go Ghetto.
    Had no problems setting ours up as follows:
    Stans rim tape, 16" lightweight innertube, stans fluid.
    Used a compressor to initially inflate and then worked the fluid several times over a couple of days.
    Its also worth running fluid around the bead/wheel interface.
    Took a few days to get a realy solid seal and sufficient build up inside the tyre to stop air coming through the rubber so make sure youve got enough fluid.
    No drops in pressure and more imprtantly no punctures since.
    MTB: Stumpy, Enduro, Hotrock, Commencal Supreme
    ROAD: Jamis Zenith, Pinarello Dogma

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just finished setting up a second tubeless 18" x 1.9" Schwalbe Blackjack for my son. Prior to that, I set up four 16" x 1.9" versions. I have no doubt I could do the same thing with the 20" version. As griffter says, no one seems to make any tubeless ready tires for the kids, which is too bad.

I did the following: Either Stan's rim tape (2 wraps), or duct tape (3 or 4 wraps). I've used both Stan's fluid and Orange Seal. I prefer Orange Seal since it works faster. Even so, it takes about a day to completely seal (several days with Stans). The only trick I've had to use was to pressurize the tire on the rim using an inner tube at 40psi overnight to stretch and shape the tire to the rim. I have to inflate using a compressor with valve core remove to seat the tire when finally setting it up tubeless.

With the non-tubeless ready tires and rims I've used, the bead isn't fully locked on, so I wouldn't run super low pressures if your kid is very aggressive and heavy. For my barely 40lb kid whose not very aggressive, I've gone down to 20psi w/o issues.

If you are only looking for thorn resistance, I've had great luck putting Stan's into the innertube. No need to go the tubeless route. Sealed up great after the thorns (goat heads) were pulled out.