mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Any familes here with children on the autism spectrum?

My 10 year old has autism, he learned to ride bike 2 wks ago and is loving it. I am so proud of him. He's loving the bike, and adding updgrades. Its awesome to give him some freedom on the bike, and I am in the process of building my wife a new bike too so we all can ride together off road! Happy DAYS!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Not exactly kid related, but worth noting that one of the top professional cyclocross racers (former Belgian national champion) Kevin Pauwels is known for being on the autism spectrum;
    The Quiet Man speaks | VeloNews.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wow, what a story!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My son races BMX with a couple of kids who are on the spectrum. Their sense of focus really helps in this sport.

mtbr member
    My not quite 5 year old is on the spectrum and he is OBSESSED with practice. He can focus on it for hours by himself. I actually really love that trait of his!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    My son is on the spectrum.. he is 7 and he just started riding his bike a couple of months ago. Now he is obsessed and he checks it over and cleans it after every ride.. itís great to see him so excited about riding and itís something we do together and we both look forward to it. Now he even asks to go look at bikes at the shops when we are out!! I can just imagine what it will be like when he gets older!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ^^You've got a partner in upgrade-itis! Awesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Jay, my boy is the same way! He has the MBA buyers guide wore out! ha ha. I am getting him some new rides next spring....as well as my wife and I. Going to have a rack of bikes next year...fun to grab a few and go ride...come back, grab a different setup and go again....

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Ha!! Thatís great Steve!! I do that same thing now.. we all ride together one day then when the little man is at school Iíll head out for a totally different ride.. He loves when I pick him up from school and he sees the bikes on the rack and he looks to see if mine is dirty so he knows I was already out riding😉
    Jochribs you know upgrade-itis is real and he is an enabler like you wouldnít believe!! He managed to get a new bike out of a quick trip to look for a water bottle cage and some gloves!! Heís good.. lol

mtbr member
    My granddaughterís 11 year-old brother is on that spectrum. His ability to focus is impressive and he loves to ride. Itís a great outlet. I have a buddy whose son it autistic and his participation on the high school mountain bike team has been the most therapeutic thing in his life. Heís in junior high and rides varsity, and place in the top 5 at every meet. The change in his personality is astonishing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    They have a riding club at Colin's school as well. I am going to sign him up. I will have to go with him just because of a comfort/safety standpoint...but he will LOVE IT.