mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Another Sette Build

Finally had time to post this. I'm hoping it'll help other parents make the decision on when to move their kid up to a 26er. I know there are other threads that helped me make the move so this is my contribution to the dilemma...

I've been waiting a long time to be able to move my son up to a "real" MTB so that I had a lot of options for better/lighter frames and components. Although he was shredding rocky trails on his 24", I knew he would have a lot more fun and would be faster and able to go a longer distance once I could get him on a 26er. I think the 26er at his size/age is somewhat like a 29er for an adult. For him it probably has the same characteristics as my 29er does for me. Larger wheels to roll over rocks easier, a little more stable (tracks better and not as nimble) due to larger frame and wheels, carries more speed through faster single track, etc. The 26er also allows him to have a fork that usable, rather than the 24" fork that's merely for looks. These are just a few of the benefits to moving to a 26er. Now on to the build...

For size reference, my son is 54" tall with a 24" inseam.

I needed to build this on a budget so I opted to go with the Sette Reken 14" frame from Price Point. I've built bikes from scratch before and know how expensive it can quickly become when getting all the components separately. For this reason, I chose to find a cheap MTB on Craigslist to use as a doner bike. My main requirement was that it had to have disk brakes and somewhat decent components. No Walmart bikes of course. I ended up getting a 13" Jamis Dakar for well under $300. Overall this bike would have worked for him but I'm a fan of light hardtails with simple 1x drivetrain for the XC trails. A 32lb FS bike didn't fit the bill but the components were what I was interested in.

The 32lb doner pig.

Another Sette Build-c360_2013-05-20-11-08-53-346.jpg

Here's a short list of some of the components and weights. With the exception of the whells, these parts were what I acquired to replace the stock parts from the doner bike. All parts were for better fitment for my son and lower weight.

Name:  Sette Specs.JPG
Views: 414
Size:  42.0 KB

14" Sette frame with Rockshox XC28 fork. I swapped the fork spring for the softest spring available (green spring). He's actually using a lot of the travel on the fork now and says he can feel how much smoother the bike is over the rocks.

Another Sette Build-20130706_172954.jpg

Thompson Elite 50mm stem and $30(new) 600mm Carbon FSA flat bar from Ebay. 120g! This thing is light!

Another Sette Build-20130603_201315.jpg

I also went with 140mm cranks. I originally sent the cranks from the doner bike to Mark at BikeSmith Design and Fabrication. He ended up messing up the cranks while shortening them so he sent me a brand new set of Sram S600 cranks. Thanks Mark!

Another Sette Build-20130731_170817.jpg

Pics of build coming up after the break....
    Last edited by sloonz; 08-26-2013 at 12:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

The Build

Some pics of the build. This ended up being a summer project for my son and I to build together. Makes it all the more special that he got to build his own bike.

Ghetto wheel truing... I haven't built myself a wheel truing stand yet so I had to make do. First time truing my own wheels and I have to say it's much easier that I expected.

Another Sette Build-20130729_175834.jpg

Bare frame ready to assemble. Yes, we built it in the house. It's 110 degrees outside here in Phoenix. What did you expect!

Another Sette Build-20130731_164925.jpg

Torquing disk bolts. Wish my dad taught me what a torque wrench was when I was a kid!

Another Sette Build-20130731_182952.jpg

A couple of shots to compare the 24" Haro to the 26" Sette. His seat height wasn't set at this point so the seat is actually higher than it is in the pic now that he's riding it.

Another Sette Build-20130809_144559.jpg
    Another Sette Build-20130809_144854.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Don't know how I managed to make the chain so short but I plan to swap the stock 32T ramped chaingring out for a Raceface 30T single. The 32T up front with a 11-34 cassette seems to work out great for him. I do think the 30T will give him just a tad more low end. That should help due to the shorter cranks having much less leverage than your typical 170-175mm cranks. I'm also running an Origin8 chain guide up front. Only one chain drop but converting to the Raceface single should help eliminate that.

Another Sette Build-20130810_074412.jpg
    Another Sette Build-20130810_072056.jpg

And we're riding...

Another Sette Build-20130820_075428_20130820140614933.jpg
    Another Sette Build-c360_2013-08-18-18-53-05-593.jpg

Does he love the bike? That's a definite YES! He's able to ride faster, ride farther, and climb hills that he's never been able to do on his 24". He's doing it all with less fatigue as well. With larger volume tires and a fork that actually soaks up the bumps the bike is much smoother.

Would I do it again? YES.

Would I have done it sooner? Probably not. He's just the right height to ride the bike. I don't believe in putting a kid on a large bike that doesn't fit. Sure they can ride it but not very well. With his inseam, he just barely clears the top tube. The distance from seat to bars is just right as well. This bike would definitely have been to big for him a year ago.

At 26lbs he bike is still a little heavy in my book but It'll be easy to drop a few more pounds in the future. The wheels and fork are pretty heavy. I guess will be bringing someone tubeless wheels/tires and a lighter fork for Christmas!

Hope you all enjoy the read...

Eric

mtbr member
    Nice!! I'm deciding whether to go this route or get my 9 yr old (54" as well) an XS 26" Hardrock. I currently have him on a rigid 1x8 46'er (26" front/24" rear on a 24" frame) I built up 2 years ago using parts from an older Trek 6300. I think you're convincing me not to be lazy with the new build!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I had my son's 24" Haro setup as a 1x8. What I found is that the 24" tire had much more of a tendency to spin-out on some hills than this 26". Now he's able to stand and climb out of the saddle much easier.

It'll be a long time before he grows out of this bike... You should go for it! I would check the weight on the Hardrock though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thumbs up! Great build. My son is 51" tall and I've been debating about the 24 or 26" tire thing. I'm most likely going to get the Scott Scale RC Jr for him. It should take at least 1 1/2 - 2 yrs for him to out grow it which is enough to justify the buy for me. When the time comes, I'll have to build him up a 26" Chinese Carbon bike similar to what XC71 did.

Post updates when you can!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Awesome! 140mm cranks though, huh? I got a set of 160mm along with the sinz Ti bb for my son's 20"--except for the pedal strikes, he does great on them (although he sometimes looks like kermit the frog with his legs going waaaaay down and then waaaaay up). Anyway, I love the build, and great idea finding the donor bike to save $. I've got a CL search set up for "cracked frame" hoping to find a donor bike too!

mtbr member

Another Sette Build

I also built a Reken for my 8yr old half way trough last years race series. Never weighed it but assume its around 22-23 lbs.
    I would look into some longer crank with his height. Last year he was running some custom 155mm truvativ square taper arms. Now I have him on 165mm FSA cranks. It really helped with the climbs. 155mm cranks are available if interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sloonz View Post
    Don't know how I managed to make the chain so short but I plan to swap the stock 32T ramped chaingring out for a Raceface 30T single. The 32T up front with a 11-34 cassette seems to work out great for him. I do think the 30T will give him just a tad more low end. That should help due to the shorter cranks having much less leverage than your typical 170-175mm cranks. I'm also running an Origin8 chain guide up front. Only one chain drop but converting to the Raceface single should help eliminate that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130810_074412.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	826919

Name:	20130810_072056.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	826922

And we're riding...

Name:	20130820_075428_20130820140614933.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	826925

Name:	C360_2013-08-18-18-53-05-593.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	826924

Does he love the bike? That's a definite YES! He's able to ride faster, ride farther, and climb hills that he's never been able to do on his 24". He's doing it all with less fatigue as well. With larger volume tires and a fork that actually soaks up the bumps the bike is much smoother.

Would I do it again? YES.

Would I have done it sooner? Probably not. He's just the right height to ride the bike. I don't believe in putting a kid on a large bike that doesn't fit. Sure they can ride it but not very well. With his inseam, he just barely clears the top tube. The distance from seat to bars is just right as well. This bike would definitely have been to big for him a year ago.

At 26lbs he bike is still a little heavy in my book but It'll be easy to drop a few more pounds in the future. The wheels and fork are pretty heavy. I guess will be bringing someone tubeless wheels/tires and a lighter fork for Christmas!

Hope you all enjoy the read...

Eric
    Look for a older SID fork 1270 grams!
    Also look at merlin cycle for wheels. I purchased a Stans ZTR 355 wheelset built with Xt hubs and Double butted spokes for $220 shipped

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cool build! My 9.5 year old son is very tall; 59" (4' 11"), he switched from a kona 24" wheel mtb to a 26er early this spring year, -it seems I have to raise the seatpost a couple mm almost every time we ride! I found him a 13" frame 15 year old +- Klein Pulse Comp 26er, I'm very impressed with that bike, it's about 24 pounds even (with mostly STX-RC), and with good (not old & hard) brake pads the rim brakes work great, -but I've got 25 years of practice with rim brakes. It's a couple pounds lighter than any of my old race bikes, and as light as my current xc race bike.
    The Klein is probably 2 pounds lighter than the old 24 Kona, and I'll be converting it to tubeless very soon. There seem to be some good Small or XSmall bikes on Craigslist around here from time to time, - I found the Klein for $100, and with worn drivetrain and brake replacements I'm still under $160. - Some older race quality bikes are still very good.
    Yeah, 26ers are good for kids as soon as they're big enough, and there's actually good and cheap tires available.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vxc961 View Post
    Awesome! 140mm cranks though, huh? I got a set of 160mm along with the sinz Ti bb for my son's 20"--except for the pedal strikes, he does great on them (although he sometimes looks like kermit the frog with his legs going waaaaay down and then waaaaay up). Anyway, I love the build, and great idea finding the donor bike to save $. I've got a CL search set up for "cracked frame" hoping to find a donor bike too!
    I went with the 140mm cranks based off of his inseam length and the recommendation by Mark at Bike Smith Design. In retrospect I think they're a little short. He seems to have no issues with them and everything looks proportional when he's pedaling the bike. I rode the bike and the leverage on the crank is drastically reduced due to such short crank arms though. I guess that can be fix via gearing. It's possible that I may be selling the cranks soon if you're interested. Google crank shortening and correct crank lenght and you'll see what the correct crank length should be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ejreyes6 View Post
    I also built a Reken for my 8yr old half way trough last years race series. Never weighed it but assume its around 22-23 lbs.
    I would look into some longer crank with his height. Last year he was running some custom 155mm truvativ square taper arms. Now I have him on 165mm FSA cranks. It really helped with the climbs. 155mm cranks are available if interested.
    Nice build. Very similar to what I'm eventually shooting for. Your son's already clipped in? Not sure my son's ready for that yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ejreyes6 View Post
    Look for a older SID fork 1270 grams!
    Also look at merlin cycle for wheels. I purchased a Stans ZTR 355 wheelset built with Xt hubs and Double butted spokes for $220 shipped
    Thanks for the tip! The SID would drop nearly 1000g off the bike. Definately going to start looking for one. Generally it seems 26" parts are much cheaper than 29er parts which works out great for me. I have a couple sets of Stan's wheels and have been extremely happy with them so that's most likely what I'll go with on his bike as well.

mtbr member

Another Sette Build

Quote Originally Posted by sloonz View Post
    Nice build. Very similar to what I'm eventually shooting for. Your son's already clipped in? Not sure my son's ready for that yet.
    He has been clipped in since he was 6. He won the 2012 Florida State series and hoping to repeat for 2013. He is racing 9-11 class this year.
    Kids have a fast learning curve, get him clipped in ASAP. Shimano pedals can be found for under $40.